It's time for cheese.......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I've depleted my cheese supply... For some reason the last month has been, "I want some cheese" type appetite... Funny how that goes in spurts...
Soooo, here it is....

I really like Tillamook...
DSCF0224.JPG

Great cheese, lookin' to get better...
DSCF0226.JPG

Cold, thin blue smoke....
DSCF0229.JPG

Looks good... Nice, light TBS....
DSCF0237.JPG

1 full AMNPS of dust.. In the mail box mod... Lasts about 5 hours...
Tri mix.. 40-40-20... corn cob, pit choice & mesquite
Pellet Dust 3.JPG

Smoker temp 58F....
DSCF0231.JPG

Outside it's 35F....
DSCF0236.JPG

Each chunk is individually wrapped in cling film....
Makes it easy to pull out 1 chunk to have with
wheat thins or triscuits or Roxy, ... She loves cheese...
Really, anything I'm eating...
Then I can re-vac and seal for more storage time...
DSCF0239.JPG

Roxy, my pal.......
Roxy.JPG

Thanks for lookin'......

Last edited:
Looks real good dave! I've been wanting to try corn cob. Tillamook is one of my favorite!

Reactions: daveomak
Nice job on the cheese Dave! And a good looking pal you have there!

Ryan

Cheese looks pretty tasty there Dave. How long does the full AMNPS of dust burn? I usually smoke my cheese anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.

I also use your idea of cutting the block of cheese into cracker size blocks so when I slice it the piece of cheese will plop onto the cracker for a perfect fit.

Your Roxy looks just like my Sadie. . .They could be twins. Is she a pure bred Lab?

IMG_1383.jpg

Mine will eat anything as well. . .LOL!

Take care my friend,

John

Last edited:
Nice
Tillamook was our favorite when we lived in the PNW.
Happy to see it recently stocked in stores around here.

No such thing as 5 second rule with Roxy hanging that close to you?

Very nice, Dave!
I'm curious about a couple of things.
I read somewhere once about giving it a light coat of olive oil before vac-sealing, which I have always done (to prevent mold, I believe). Have you heard of that?
What temp do you store it at? I had a wine cooler that I kept it in that I could set at 49F. The cooler gave out a few weeks ago.....
I have enough to last until it's not freezing out :-)
My favorite lately has been Mozzarella.

Very nice, Dave!
I'm curious about a couple of things.
I read somewhere once about giving it a light coat of olive oil before vac-sealing, which I have always done (to prevent mold, I believe). Have you heard of that?
What temp do you store it at? I had a wine cooler that I kept it in that I could set at 49F. The cooler gave out a few weeks ago.....
I have enough to last until it's not freezing out :-)
My favorite lately has been Mozzarella.

I've heard the smoke kills the ability of mold to take hold....

Tight cling wrap and vac packing and a 34F fridge... no mold happens here....

Reactions: SmokyMose
Good looking cheese dave. I also like Tillamook. They have some awesome butter as well

Thanks... I like all of their products....

Good looking cheese. Roxy looks like she knows who the soft touch for snacks is.
Jim

Thanks and yes she does....
Some good looking cheese and a fine looking pup you got there Dave, life is good! RAY

I hope it has a good flavor.. She's a good girl and life is pretty darn good Ray...

That's a good idea cutting in chucks.

The chunk thing evolved over time.... Sure works good....

Cheese looks real good Dave. Roxy hoping you drop a piece every now and then. :emoji_wink:

Thanks, If I don't drop any, she rams into my thigh, with her chest, to wake me up....

Looks real good dave! I've been wanting to try corn cob. Tillamook is one of my favorite!

Thanks... Cob... Using it straight it don't taste too good... I have to mix it..

Nice job on the cheese Dave! And a good looking pal you have there!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan, She's an awesome pal....

Cheese looks pretty tasty there Dave. How long does the full AMNPS of dust burn? I usually smoke my cheese anywhere from 2 to 3 hours.

I also use your idea of cutting the block of cheese into cracker size blocks so when I slice it the piece of cheese will plop onto the cracker for a perfect fit.

Your Roxy looks just like my Sadie. . .They could be twins. Is she a pure bred Lab?

Mine will eat anything as well. . .LOL!

Take care my friend,

John

Thanks John, A full tray of dust smokes about 5 hours... It's a very light smoke.. Roxy is 1/8 full size Poodle and the rest is Golden Retriever and Lab... Or so the guy said.. She really likes to eat road kill... She scours the ditches at least twice a day.... If it's on the center line, she will not move for a car...

Nice smoked cheese Dave. The dust works great with cheese.

Thanks. Rick... the dust does work great for cheese and I use it for everything...

Nice
Tillamook was our favorite when we lived in the PNW.
Happy to see it recently stocked in stores around here.

No such thing as 5 second rule with Roxy hanging that close to you?

They lowered the price for Tillamook during all the lock down... They must have had an over supply around here... YEP !!! She usually grabs it before it hits the floor.....

The cheese looks great. No Tillamook in my area but an area General Store hand cuts wedges of a Sharp NY Cheddar that's very tasty. They call it "Man Crack" as during Deer Season, Hunters buy up all they can get! Its a brisk seller year round as well. Your Roxy is a Beauty!...JJ

daveomak daveomak I used to have myself a Roxy....she was an Italian mastif.(cane corso) Probably the best dang dog I ever had!...i miss her!! And BandCollector BandCollector I had a Sadie too...this one was a beagle. She was the one that i cuddled up to at night as a young man and also tought me how to trust......when you put her on a rabbit that she would run in a half mile circle in the woods you wondered if she would ever come back.....well she always did....thats a rough thing to let go when your 11 years old and she is your best friend! There is a lot to learn from that!! Good memories and some good life lessons!

Great looking cheese. All these cheese posts reminded me I am out. I better get some going. I too like dust for cheese, usually pitmasters or maple.

The cheese looks great. No Tillamook in my area but an area General Store hand cuts wedges of a Sharp NY Cheddar that's very tasty. They call it "Man Crack" as during Deer Season, Hunters buy up all they can get! Its a brisk seller year round as well. Your Roxy is a Beauty!...JJ

Thanks JJ, The Amish make some great cheeses... We get their butter here... it's REALLY good..
I make Ghee from the no salt butter.....
DSCF0246.JPG ... DSCF0245.JPG
daveomak daveomak I used to have myself a Roxy....she was an Italian mastif.(cane corso) Probably the best dang dog I ever had!...i miss her!! And BandCollector BandCollector I had a Sadie too...this one was a beagle. She was the one that i cuddled up to at night as a young man and also tought me how to trust......when you put her on a rabbit that she would run in a half mile circle in the woods you wondered if she would ever come back.....well she always did....thats a rough thing to let go when your 11 years old and she is your best friend! There is a lot to learn from that!! Good memories and some good life lessons!

A dog can teach us so much.... If we only pay attention...

Great looking cheese. All these cheese posts reminded me I am out. I better get some going. I too like dust for cheese, usually pitmasters or maple.

Time to "Get-her-done", Adam.... Take some pictures....

Last edited:
Thanks John, A full tray of dust smokes about 5 hours... It's a very light smoke.. Roxy is 1/8 full size Poodle and the rest is Golden Retriever and Lab... Or so the guy said.. She really likes to eat road kill... She scours the ditches at least twice a day.... If it's on the center line, she will not move for a car...
Thanks for the reply Dave,

Mine loves road kill as well. After all, they are dogs! Not too keen about that center line standoff though.

Take care,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky