It's Chicken Grilling Season again!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
Now that the Grilling Season is coming into Full Swing. I though I would Re-post this Favorite Recipe of mine for the Thousands of Newbies that joined since last year. Check out the UPDATE at the end, makes the Sauce even BETTER!  Enjoy...JJ

I came across a thread from 2010 and it reminded me of the Pit Chicken my wife and I enjoyed when we first moved to PA. A variation is made at every fund raising Chicken BBQ done at Fire Houses all over the State and at sporadic Roadside Stands. These guys do some amazing food. They basically build a big box out of Corrugated Steel and Expanded Metal. They build a fire on one side of the box then place Top Round Beef Roasts next to it then add the EM on top to make a Grill that can cook on direct or indirect heat. For $5 you get a Half Chicken or over stuffed Beef Sandwich, Corn or Beans and a Biscuit. The meat is doused frequently with a Spicy Vinegar and Oil based Sauce. The sauce adds good flavor and the meat is very tasty, tender and juicy. So I had to fire my own version and thought I would share with you guys. I have been using my MES40 a lot lately but this cook was screaming for me to go Old School and fire up the New Braunfels... The Pit Chicken was served with Grilled Vegetables and Grilled Corn. First some Qview then, as is my style, the Recipes. Enjoy...JJ

First the Essentials...300*F Pit, a Cold One (actually worked out to 6) and the Sauce for Basting...

640x475px-LL-02735033_225_0562.jpg

Update: With the addition of the Egg Yolks and Emulsifying, the Sauce will be a Milky Pink color not Clear like this first run...

The Chix Halves were from 2-3Lb Broilers and were in the Brine for 6 hours then sprinkled with my Chix Bubba Q Rub...

640x475px-LL-da481391_225_0568.jpg

The Fire set up was one Chimney Kingsford Original unlit and one Chimney load lit and added on top. I was looking for just the Oak flavor from the charcoal so no additional Smoke wood was added but any flavor would work if you choose to add it...

640x475px-LL-27e960ed_225_0564.jpg

I let them cook for 2 hours Basting every 10-15 then tossed them on the hot side to color them up. I was a little disappointed that the thin skin tore on most of the halves. No affect on flavor just not as pretty. The IT of the biggest Thigh was 155*F so off to a 350*F to crisp up and finish cooking to 175*F...

640x475px-LL-cc9c1a24_225_0569.jpg

Now for the Healthy Stuff... Sweet Corn with Balsamic Vinegar and Roasted Garlic Oil marinated Yellow Squash, Zucchini, Vidalia Onions and White Mushrooms, check out the size of the 'Shrooms...

640x475px-LL-d031ae38_225_0572.jpg

Onto the Fire. Turn frequently and baste with the Vinegar/Oil Marinade. Grill until the Mushroom get brown and shrink. The water evaporates and concentrates the flavor. The rest should be tender but not mushy. The Onions go on first for 5-10 minutes, then add Mushrooms next, 5 minutes, to get them a head start. The Squashes go next, for 10 minutes, and the Corn last, it goes quick 5 minutes or so. All toll the Veggies were on about Thirty minutes...

640x475px-LL-61525223_225_0574.jpg

I'm getting hungry again just Posting these goodies...Here's the Chef's Plate... Good Stuff...

640x475px-LL-6fa21c37_225_0577.jpg

The Recipes...

Poultry Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt

2T Paprika

2T Gran Garlic

2T Gran Onion

2T Black Peppercorns

2T Dry Thyme

1C Cider Vinegar

1 Gallon Water

Mix and Soak Bird 6-24hours.

Drain and Dry Bird, Rest in refrigerator over night to dry skin.

Chix Bubba Q Rub

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder (contains some Cumin and Oregano) Ancho Chile is same without cumin, oregano etc.

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1-2tsp Bell's Poultry Seasoning

1tsp Black Pepper, more if you like

1/2tsp Grnd Allspice

Cayenne or Chipotle Pwd to taste, start with 1/2tsp and go from there.

Pit Chix Basting Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

1C Olive or other Oil

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

2Lrg Egg Yolks

This stuff is Tangy with a Sweet and Spicy Finish. If you wish, instead of Brining, you can make a Double batch and add 1T Kosher Salt to half. Marinate the Chix for 4-6 hours with the salted half of the Basting Sauce then use the rest to baste during the Cook.

I would squirt the Sauce on with a Sports Bottle about every 15-20 minutes and used all but 1/2 cup that I took to the Table to add a fresh Punch of flavor.

BTW as I reviewed this recipe today...with the addition of 1T Red Pepper Flakes, 1 tsp of Kosher Salt and delete the Oil...This would make one " Helluva Good Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce " !!! I will have to try it on some leftover PP. Will let you know...JJ

UPDATE:  After all the info on the Cornell Sauce, I tried this recipe with the addition of 2 Lrg Egg Yolks. I put everything but the Oil in a Blender and gave it a whirl. While on high I slowly drizzled the Oil in. The egg helps emulsify the Oil and Vinegar together and the whole deal thickens slighty. The whole deal stays mixed several hours but the Bonus is the Basting Sauce sticks to the fatty chicken skin much better and adds more flavor...Thanks for the info guys...JJ

Last edited:
As always, JJ, that looks and sounds great!  I have yet to try one of your recipes that we didn't like...

Red

Awsome , Jimmy. Gotta hand it to ya , you do make it look good ...
drool.gif

Now that Trish is better , we can get back to trying out her new Thermos Grill
cool.gif
 we got her for Mother's Day ...
confused.gif

And Yardbird is on the list ;
a39.gif

Have fun and...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky