Italian Sausage!!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by twistertail, Sep 25, 2007.

1. twistertail

twistertail Smoking Fanatic

Smoked some Italian Sausages over the weekend and they were great. I've done them several times at work so finally had to do some at home for my wife. Works great for a quick smoke, about 2 hours in the smoker and they were done. They taste so much better than grilling and are so easy to do, just open the package and put them in the smoker. If you have not done sausages or brats in the smoker yet you really need to try it.

2. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

gotta agree with ya, fresh sausage on the smoker is a totally different treat than grilling!![​IMG]

3. brentman0110

brentman0110 Meat Mopper

What type of wood foritalian sausage?

4. travcoman45

travcoman45 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Let's see, Italian sausage, for wood, maybe Olive tree?[​IMG] I was thinking either hickory or maybe apple?

5. striding man

striding man Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

twistertail, I had a little extra room yesterday in the smoker and put in 2 fresh sausage links as well as 4 cheese stuffed pablono's wrapped with bacon.. The sausage turned out pretty good. The wife and I had it for a snack soon after it came off. I'll have to try the italian sausage, sounds good. Thanks

6. I use Cherry, Hickory, or Persimmon. [​IMG]

Sometimes I use the smoked Italian links to then make Lasagna. [​IMG]

If you haven't had that,,,,you have been missin out. [​IMG]

7. morkdach

morkdach Master of the Pit OTBS Member

never smoked brats befor how do they come out

8. twistertail

Brats come out great, they look great and taste great. Give it a try.

9. av8tor

av8tor Meat Mopper

Are you also using a thermometer probe or just the 2-hours? What smoker temp then?
    I will have to give that a try.

10. peculiarmike

peculiarmike Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I smoke J/ville Sweet Italian Sausage. It really adds to spaghetti & meatballs, just slice up 2-3 sausages in the mix. You can chop it fine and add it to the stuffing for stuffed mushrooms then smoke them. I also slice them and use them on pizza. Possibilities are endless.
    Here is a batch I smoked last week along with some Earl Campbell's Hot Links, the links are the darker ones -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. twistertail

Yes I use a temp probe and take them to 165-170.

12. crockadale

crockadale Smoking Fanatic

I will usually throw some brats or Italian Sausage on the smoker while doing longer smokes for snacks, even if I do have a FATTY or ATB's on.

13. bertjo44

bertjo44 Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for the idea twistertail.

Peculiarmike, did you really have to post that Q-view? That homemade pizza looked awsome.