Italian Pressed sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I've posted these before . I got the idea from an episode of Diners , Drive-ins and Dives .
Stuffed , baked off and cut into strips . Then pressed in a panini maker . I skip the press part .

I usually make dough ahead of time and let it ferment in the fridge a couple days . Lately I've been having good luck just doing it early the day of and letting it sit on the counter .
I mix the flour 50 / 50 . KA all purpose and KA double 00 . Yeast , salt and sugar all get eye balled . Water starts at 120 degrees to dissolve the sugar ( in the bowl of a stand mixer ) . When the temp drops to 110 I add the yeast and let it sit until it foams .

Add the flour to the yeast mixture and spin it up just until it gets crumbly . Stop the mixer and throw a towel over the whole works . Let it sit 10 minutes or so .

Now I add the salt . I don't add the salt in direct contact with the yeast . Just how I learned it . Spin it up until mixed . Then I turn it out into a bowl with Olive oil . Coat completely with oil . Plastic wrap over the bowl , then covered with a towel . Set in a warm place . One rise , punch it down and recover . I don't punch it down again until I'm ready to use it . Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't collapse on it's own .

Dough rolled out . I went with Salami , Pepperoni , green bells and onions . Sliced motz for the cheese .
Here's the first layer . Full slice of cheese on the bottom helps to keep the dough from getting soggy .
20221125_160749.jpg
I use a strip of cheese in between the layers to hold things together .
Then restack . Second layer .
20221125_161110.jpg
Full slice of cheese on top . Same as the bottom . Keeps the moisture away from the dough .
20221125_161144.jpg
I do this on non stick foil so I can use the foil to help roll it over .
20221125_161221.jpg
This dough came out great for short notice .
Stretched really nice without tearing .
Crimp back together . I just let the dough stick to itself .
20221125_161424.jpg
I use egg wash on the outside . I just mix the whole egg together .
Wash goes on first , then you cut the vent holes . If you cut first , then wash
you're sealing it back up .
The vent slits are about 2" apart . That's where I'll cut the sandwiches .
Baked off in a 425 degree oven until the inside reads 195 - 200 degrees .
20221125_165111.jpg
This needs to cool almost all the way so the cheese can start to
reset . Helps the whole thing stay together . We eat it just warm , without pressing .
Took some nice slices . Really happy with the dough . Great chew .
20221125_182817.jpg 20221125_182825.jpg
Did some wings in the Ninja grill . I'm really liking this thing .
Does a great job .
20221125_182618.jpg
Did some fries in the 360 . Made a nice meal and a change of pace .
20221125_182957.jpg
Thanks for lookin .

That looks awesome!

We already have wings prepped and fries will be cut shortly.

Already have most of the ingredients for the sandwich just no dough and don't have the time to make it.You think a store bought dough would work?The little market down the street sells their own pre-made.

Great looking plate!! Everything looks so delicious!
Thanks . If you've never hot a hot salami sandwich , you should .
Pepperoni and peppers are great flavors in this .
Nice work on that
Thanks Ray . Appreciate that .
I guess that'd be either a Calzone or Stromboli, don't know which is which, I'd call it delicious!
Left whole , or whole with sauce yes . Sliced into strips and pressed
is different deal . Same taste . Different name .

That looks awesome!
Thanks Norm .
Already have most of the ingredients for the sandwich just no dough and don't have the time to make it.You think a store bought dough would work?The little market down the street sells their own pre-made.
Yup . I buy dough at the store all the time . Great stuff , and it's already sat for awhile .
Great looking meal Rich.

I could sit /stand or lay for a plate of that right there
Thanks David . I'd get you a chair .

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
That looks delicious! Especially the way the sandwich is Layered, and all the cheese!

Ryan

That looks fantastic. GOtta find the time to try it here. Good stuff!
Thanks David . Prep the dough ahead of time . Have the rest on hand . Then when you're ready it goes together pretty fast . I like to bake it a couple hours ahead . Needs an hour or so rest in my opinion .
So I made a double batch of dough . Half is in the fridge . I could do this again next week , or pizza , rolls or a loaf of bread . Just get it out of the fridge to warm up in time . Not that you need bread dough advice from me . Lol .
That looks delicious!
Thank you Ryan .
Especially the way the sandwich is Layered
That makes the texture for sure .

Reactions: sandyut
I've posted these before . I got the idea from an episode of Diners , Drive-ins and Dives .
Stuffed , baked off and cut into strips . Then pressed in a panini maker . I skip the press part .

I usually make dough ahead of time and let it ferment in the fridge a couple days . Lately I've been having good luck just doing it early the day of and letting it sit on the counter .
I mix the flour 50 / 50 . KA all purpose and KA double 00 . Yeast , salt and sugar all get eye balled . Water starts at 120 degrees to dissolve the sugar ( in the bowl of a stand mixer ) . When the temp drops to 110 I add the yeast and let it sit until it foams .

Add the flour to the yeast mixture and spin it up just until it gets crumbly . Stop the mixer and throw a towel over the whole works . Let it sit 10 minutes or so .

Now I add the salt . I don't add the salt in direct contact with the yeast . Just how I learned it . Spin it up until mixed . Then I turn it out into a bowl with Olive oil . Coat completely with oil . Plastic wrap over the bowl , then covered with a towel . Set in a warm place . One rise , punch it down and recover . I don't punch it down again until I'm ready to use it . Just keep an eye on it so it doesn't collapse on it's own .

Dough rolled out . I went with Salami , Pepperoni , green bells and onions . Sliced motz for the cheese .
Here's the first layer . Full slice of cheese on the bottom helps to keep the dough from getting soggy .
View attachment 649517
I use a strip of cheese in between the layers to hold things together .
Then restack . Second layer .
View attachment 649518
Full slice of cheese on top . Same as the bottom . Keeps the moisture away from the dough .
View attachment 649519
I do this on non stick foil so I can use the foil to help roll it over .
View attachment 649520
This dough came out great for short notice .
Stretched really nice without tearing .
Crimp back together . I just let the dough stick to itself .
View attachment 649521
I use egg wash on the outside . I just mix the whole egg together .
Wash goes on first , then you cut the vent holes . If you cut first , then wash
you're sealing it back up .
The vent slits are about 2" apart . That's where I'll cut the sandwiches .
Baked off in a 425 degree oven until the inside reads 195 - 200 degrees .
View attachment 649522
This needs to cool almost all the way so the cheese can start to
reset . Helps the whole thing stay together . We eat it just warm , without pressing .
Took some nice slices . Really happy with the dough . Great chew .
View attachment 649525 View attachment 649526
Did some wings in the Ninja grill . I'm really liking this thing .
Does a great job .
View attachment 649524
Did some fries in the 360 . Made a nice meal and a change of pace .
View attachment 649527
Thanks for lookin .
Looks like a great meal Rich, I could eat that entire sandwich on it's own for dinner.

It does look like a Stromboli.
I've posted these a couple different times . The debate always comes up Lol . I skip the panini part of it , but cross cut and pressed it's call something in Italian that transfers to " Flat sandwich " in English .
indaswamp indaswamp Keith you know how regional the sausages are coming out of Italy , as well as shape , size and cut used for dry cured meats . This is really no different , and it's all about the same .
I'll make what I consider a calzone sometimes when I make pizza .
Same thing with sauce inside , but cooked as individual portions .
1669573979571.jpeg
1669574014548.jpeg

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky