Italian Insanity: Lasagna Wrapped Sausages W/ Spicy Marinara & Veggies (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I gotta tell you Robert, that is fantastic! What a great idea!
We have to make some, I have a bunch of hot Italian sausage in the freezer, and we do make our own sauce & pasta. It’s going to be cold tomorrow, and a perfect day to make that dish!! Thanks for the inspiration! BOOKMARKED!
Thanks so much Al. the praise coming from you is deeply appreciated sir, especially that you consider it worthy of making. Please show us how it turns out. I'm interested to see if you put any sort of a twist on it.

Robert

You are killing it lately Robert! I love this, super creative and outside the box thinking.
Very much appreciate the kind words Tyler. I have this innate way of coming up with really off-the-wall ideas. some are fun and work out, others...well...not so much :emoji_wink:

Robert

That looks very very good. Thanks for the inspiriation. I like trying new ideas. You have some good ones.
Thank you very much. Seems as though my "claim to fame" is coming up with really weird dinner ideas. Famous or infamous? Probably the latter :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Great choice. Solid beer. Recent addition to your state I believe, right?
I'm really liking that beer and I believe you are correct. They actually opened a brewery here in TX somewhere. I'd not seen it until fairly recently and didn't buy any till a friend from PA turned me onto it. Tracy has decided that their light lager is now her favorite so we're a Yeungling family now :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow Robert, very nicely done buddy! I am not a huge Italian fan (I drive my fam crazy)! That being said… slap a bib on this ol redneck, I’m going in head first! That is phenomenal!
Thanks so much for the kind words. Hard to fathom somebody not liking Italian food but I guess there are folks out there that it just doesn't work for. The fact that you'd sit down to a plate of this would be an honor. Two rednecks sitting at the table eating international cuisine. Define irony? Working on an idea for a different sausage wrapped in potato, grilled, and smothered in gravy. That might be more along your lines :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Thanks so much for the kind words. Hard to fathom somebody not liking Italian food but I guess there are folks out there that it just doesn't work for. The fact that you'd sit down to a plate of this would be an honor. Two rednecks sitting at the table eating international cuisine. Define irony? Working on an idea for a different sausage wrapped in potato, grilled, and smothered in gravy. That might be more along your lines :emoji_wink:

Robert

Ha, that be something… two rednecks eating Robert’s classy Italian Cuisine! You’d be the sophisticated one and I’d be the one trying to beat the bowling ball down the bowling alley! 😉

Give it s hot and show us what happens. I'm curious to see what sort of variations people come up with. Looks like we approached pasta making from opposite directions. My ravioli press just got here yesterday. Looking forward to giving it a run.

Robert
What kind of Raviloi press did you get? I have this one that I use all the time.

Now that would be funny!! Those CI skillets look really cool. Cannot wait to see them in action.

Yes these will get a lot of use, and a couple things already on paper to try as of now, was thinking of a sausage wrapped in a lasagna noodle, oh wait I think some one did this already lol :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_laughing:

Thank you David. Wanna hear something weird? I'm thinking through how to wrap the sausages with potatoes, brown them up, and serve with gravy. Thinking I might have it figured out but time will tell :emoji_wink:

You mean like an corn dog on steroids' (sausage and potatoes and gravy ) you know I am in for that:emoji_yum::emoji_yum::emoji_sunglasses:

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Ok, I'm having a blast with this pasta maker. I got a simple but incredible dough recipe from our very good friend @sawhorseray and it makes THE BEST pasta we've ever had. Decided to get a little creative yesterday and have some fun. Got couple links of sweet Italian sausage out of the freezer, which were made with Cabernet Sauvignon (sp??) instead of water, also a recommendation from Ray, and they are fantastic. While the sausages were defrosting I got out the dough ball I made a few days ago and weighed out 2 equal sized portions. Set up the roller and was off to the races!!

Rolling out the sheets of pasta.
View attachment 654292

Two sheets rolled out and trimmed to be the same size.
View attachment 654293

On to the drying rack.
View attachment 654294

Toss the sausages into a skillet with a drizzle of EVOO.
View attachment 654295

Cut up some peppers and onions. Into another skillet with a little EVOO, some fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of mixed Italian herb blend.
View attachment 654296

When the sausages are almost done, I made relief cuts in the back so they would lay down flat. Onto the pasta sheets with some Parm and Romano cheeses.
View attachment 654297

Roll them up tightly and into 6" CI skillets.
View attachment 654298

Add the spicy marinara and veggies.
View attachment 654299

Onto the grill at about 375 for 20 minutes or so. It's getting dark at this point so pics are not real good.
View attachment 654300

When the marinara starts to bubble just a bit, take them out and load up the mozzarella then back onto the grill.
View attachment 654301

10 more minutes or so the cheese is melted and starting to brown up a bit. Time to take them into the house.
View attachment 654302

Plated with some cheesy garlic toast. Time to eat. I'm really looking forward to this one!!
View attachment 654303

A couple of cut shots.
View attachment 654304
View attachment 654305

I'm likely to get yelled and slapped around a bit for this because it violates every traditional Italian dish I've ever seen. I gotta say though, it was absolutely outstanding. It was also fun do do, creative, and as much as the pics may not demonstrate it, the visual was off the charts. For pulling this one way out of left field, I was really happy with the way it came out. You probably won't see me post this again but you can rest assured that it will be a regular staple around here. It was just different and y'all know I like to do weird stuff on a regular basis :emoji_laughing: Hey Keith ( @indaswamp ) these would be a great meal for your friends at the firehouse. As excellent a sausage maker as you are, I could see you making a grand slam home run dinner for them.

Well I'm done. Tagged half of the forum here and it's time to make a beer run. Take care everybody and be back soon.

Robert
Looks awesome. a lot of work. I'm tired of the eye-talians bitching at me about sauce/gravy ritual.

Ok, I'm having a blast with this pasta maker. I got a simple but incredible dough recipe from our very good friend @sawhorseray and it makes THE BEST pasta we've ever had. Decided to get a little creative yesterday and have some fun. Got couple links of sweet Italian sausage out of the freezer, which were made with Cabernet Sauvignon (sp??) instead of water, also a recommendation from Ray, and they are fantastic. While the sausages were defrosting I got out the dough ball I made a few days ago and weighed out 2 equal sized portions. Set up the roller and was off to the races!!

Rolling out the sheets of pasta.
View attachment 654292

Two sheets rolled out and trimmed to be the same size.
View attachment 654293

On to the drying rack.
View attachment 654294

Toss the sausages into a skillet with a drizzle of EVOO.
View attachment 654295

Cut up some peppers and onions. Into another skillet with a little EVOO, some fresh garlic, and a sprinkle of mixed Italian herb blend.
View attachment 654296

When the sausages are almost done, I made relief cuts in the back so they would lay down flat. Onto the pasta sheets with some Parm and Romano cheeses.
View attachment 654297

Roll them up tightly and into 6" CI skillets.
View attachment 654298

Add the spicy marinara and veggies.
View attachment 654299

Onto the grill at about 375 for 20 minutes or so. It's getting dark at this point so pics are not real good.
View attachment 654300

When the marinara starts to bubble just a bit, take them out and load up the mozzarella then back onto the grill.
View attachment 654301

10 more minutes or so the cheese is melted and starting to brown up a bit. Time to take them into the house.
View attachment 654302

Plated with some cheesy garlic toast. Time to eat. I'm really looking forward to this one!!
View attachment 654303

A couple of cut shots.
View attachment 654304
View attachment 654305

I'm likely to get yelled and slapped around a bit for this because it violates every traditional Italian dish I've ever seen. I gotta say though, it was absolutely outstanding. It was also fun do do, creative, and as much as the pics may not demonstrate it, the visual was off the charts. For pulling this one way out of left field, I was really happy with the way it came out. You probably won't see me post this again but you can rest assured that it will be a regular staple around here. It was just different and y'all know I like to do weird stuff on a regular basis :emoji_laughing: Hey Keith ( @indaswamp ) these would be a great meal for your friends at the firehouse. As excellent a sausage maker as you are, I could see you making a grand slam home run dinner for them.

Well I'm done. Tagged half of the forum here and it's time to make a beer run. Take care everybody and be back soon.

Robert
Man that is so awesome! I love stuff like that. Keep up this creative posts, you'll never hear me complain about something that comes out tasting amazing :)

Ha, that be something… two rednecks eating Robert’s classy Italian Cuisine! You’d be the sophisticated one and I’d be the one trying to beat the bowling ball down the bowling alley!
Me sophisticated? Not hardly. I'd be the bowling ball wearing my wife-beater t-shirt that you're beating down the alley :emoji_laughing:

Robert

You mean like an corn dog on steroids' (sausage and potatoes and gravy ) you know I am in for that

Heck I'll be in line right behind David.
Still thinking through the potato wrapped sausage with gravy. Trying to figure out how to get the taters pliable enough to wrap but still hold up in the process. I think I might have a plan.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky