Is Weber the better brand?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a 17 year old Gen Gold, it has been rebuilt a couple of times but in my opinion the best thing that equals out a grill is a full replacement set of grill grates....they are wonders! FYI, you don’t need a lot of BTU’s to get an excellent sear. ie I never put my Weber above 1/2 cause it gets way to hot.... I also won’t own a gas grill without them! That said as long as the burners are stainless as well as the body then with grill grates your in business. You need to be carful with those “larger” grills because many have cast burners and they can rust out pretty quick....just food for thought

Every thing wears out no matter how good a product is, Weber carries parts for their grills and the others don't after they stop making that certain 1, been through a lot of cheap grills before I went WEBER forever lol

I hear Webers customer service is terrible. Is this true?

Weber has been long known for excellent customer service. I think they got overwhelmed with the COVID crisis though. Sales took off on grills and outdoor products, and their work force wasn’t in the office everyday As reliably before Covid. Not sure if they have returned to their pre Covid standards as I haven’t needed their support for my Weber’s.

I bought mine from ace and they have always treated me right. I have never had an issue with Webber grills (mine or my father in laws) so I haven’t worked with Webber Customer service.

I think I am going to settle for either one of these if someone here could help me decide lol. The Monument price is really tempting but I am afraid of what I'd miss from the Weber.

I have an old Genesis, that I have rebuilt 2 times, with new burners & flavorizer bars. Still going great. The body of the grill has rusted out, but I just have it sitting on 2X4’s. Probably last another 20 years!
Al

My last gasser was "stainless steel", brand was something like "Broil King"? Turned out it was Chinese-made SS. I had to locate and replace the burners twice and valves once in 4 years. It was fast, yes, and good to throw on a couple frozen burger patties when my kids were small and impatient. It finally crumpled on the sides like cheap tin foil, and I threw it out. Haven't owned one since.

My last gasser was "stainless steel", brand was something like "Broil King"? Turned out it was Chinese-made SS. I had to locate and replace the burners twice and valves once in 4 years. It was fast, yes, and good to throw on a couple frozen burger patties when my kids were small and impatient. It finally crumpled on the sides like cheap tin foil, and I threw it out. Haven't owned one since.

Weber parts are now made in China.

Chris

I gave up on gas about 2 years ago and now use only charcoal and wood. My Weber 22" kettle is my grilling pride and joy. I got that awesome copper color model. Looks so cool. My bet is that if you are willing to spend the money on the Weber that it will certainly outlive and outperform the cheap models that are in every store. That said, my last gas grill with a cheap Uniflame from Walmart that lasted 12 years on the original burners. The maintenance you give your grill and the location you live in will effect the lifespan no matter what the brand. You mentioned early on being a charcoal guy. Have you considered the Masterbuilt gravity grills? You get a faster start and real temperature control for a lot less money. It may not be as fast to heat as gas but you don't have to change fuel sources either. I know I hated filling that damn propane tank. It would always take a poo at the most inconvenient times as well. I hope that you find what you are looking for. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

G

Reactions: Colin1230
I gave up on gas about 2 years ago and now use only charcoal and wood. My Weber 22" kettle is my grilling pride and joy. I got that awesome copper color model. Looks so cool. My bet is that if you are willing to spend the money on the Weber that it will certainly outlive and outperform the cheap models that are in every store. That said, my last gas grill with a cheap Uniflame from Walmart that lasted 12 years on the original burners. The maintenance you give your grill and the location you live in will effect the lifespan no matter what the brand. You mentioned early on being a charcoal guy. Have you considered the Masterbuilt gravity grills? You get a faster start and real temperature control for a lot less money. It may not be as fast to heat as gas but you don't have to change fuel sources either. I know I hated filling that damn propane tank. It would always take a poo at the most inconvenient times as well. I hope that you find what you are looking for. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

G
Thanks for mentioning the Masterbuilt. I had never heard of it. It has my attention. I am at home depot looking right now. Can you sear with it and cook at same time other meats?

I think I am going to settle for either one of these if someone here could help me decide lol. The Monument price is really tempting but I am afraid of what I'd miss from the Weber.

Those two grills are a very good example of getting what you pay for. I know which one will be around the longest.

Take a look at the Char Griller 980 from Lowes or Menards. It too is a Charcoal Gravity Feed Grill. YT reviews are very positive. See Tom Horsman's comparison reviews of Gravity Grills...JJ

I notice in some online pics that gas grills have a lot or internal rust even Weber brand. Is this something that eventually will happen even if it is stainless steel burners? Even the flavorizer steel bars rust.

I notice in some online pics that gas grills have a lot or internal rust even Weber brand. Is this something that eventually will happen even if it is stainless steel burners? Even the flavorizer steel bars rust.

Yes, rust/corrosion will eventually develop on the stainless steel burner tubes and flavorizer bars. It is normal and occurs over time as those components are exposed to salts, acids, and high temperatures.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Nothing lasts forever in this world so rust will catch up to anything you buy made from metal. Some things are just made better than others and for that reason will last longer in the same harsh environment. If you buy something inexpensive and it lasts a long time then count yourself fortunate for getting an exception to the rule. My last gas grill was a bargain unit from Walmart. Uniflame is the brand on it. The thing lasted 12 years in the blazing heat of Riverside California. It cost me something like $150 and I never changed the burners. I am certain that I was the exception to the rule on that one. Care and environment play a big role. If you are near the ocean the salt air will definitely have an effect. Harsh winters can take a toll as well if your grill is just out in the weather.

My reason for suggesting the gravity fed from Masterbuilt is that it has the set it to a certain temp feature. Which I am guessing is why you were interested in the pellet grill from your original post. But there is no auger to maintain and my guess is that there would be less overall maintenance. I know that vacuuming out a pellet grill is not high on my list of desired activities. Other than the fan there just seems like less moving parts to worry about with the gravity fed charcoal grills. Plus, you are still cooking with a wood source in charcoal or solid wood form. If I were in the market for a new grill or smoker right now that would be my choice for an all around unit. I still prefer the offset for smoking but that is just my personal opinion. I'm definitely interested to see what you finally go with in the end. Like everyone else here I am also anticipating some excellent Q view when it is all said and done.

G

Nothing lasts forever in this world so rust will catch up to anything you buy made from metal. Some things are just made better than others and for that reason will last longer in the same harsh environment. If you buy something inexpensive and it lasts a long time then count yourself fortunate for getting an exception to the rule. My last gas grill was a bargain unit from Walmart. Uniflame is the brand on it. The thing lasted 12 years in the blazing heat of Riverside California. It cost me something like $150 and I never changed the burners. I am certain that I was the exception to the rule on that one. Care and environment play a big role. If you are near the ocean the salt air will definitely have an effect. Harsh winters can take a toll as well if your grill is just out in the weather.

My reason for suggesting the gravity fed from Masterbuilt is that it has the set it to a certain temp feature. Which I am guessing is why you were interested in the pellet grill from your original post. But there is no auger to maintain and my guess is that there would be less overall maintenance. I know that vacuuming out a pellet grill is not high on my list of desired activities. Other than the fan there just seems like less moving parts to worry about with the gravity fed charcoal grills. Plus, you are still cooking with a wood source in charcoal or solid wood form. If I were in the market for a new grill or smoker right now that would be my choice for an all around unit. I still prefer the offset for smoking but that is just my personal opinion. I'm definitely interested to see what you finally go with in the end. Like everyone else here I am also anticipating some excellent Q view when it is all said and done.

G
Thank you. I decided on the Weber S335. I will be picking it up today. I thought I'd cook up fast meals and try gas for once and while nothing lasts forever Webers are known to be superior grills. I will post more once I am in business.

Excellent choice. I am definitely a believer in Weber quality. My kettle is my favorite grilling platform of all time. No need to reinvent the wheel. I look forward to your Q view.

G

Reactions: jacobariel
I notice in some online pics that gas grills have a lot or internal rust even Weber brand. Is this something that eventually will happen even if it is stainless steel burners?
Liquid propane combustion carries , and causes moisture to form . Just the nature of the beast .
Nice choice on a grill . I think you will enjoy it . Take care of it and keep it clean .
I have the first Gen . Genesis 310 . No side burner or sear station .
Still going strong .
20210516_173002.jpg

My turn

I have a weber performer kettle, weber spirit and pitboss vertical pellet smoker. And my TSM 30 electric but it stays in the shed.
My grills/smoker are covered and exposed to the elements here in FL. I have not had to replace any parts on my webers. I did have to replace the hot rod on my pb vert but thats a normal for pellet poopers.

Stay with the Webers, you can get parts easy if needed.

Reactions: jacobariel
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky