Is This What Ya'll Mean by "Cold Smoking"?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamp puppy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Warren, OR
I had to wait awhile for the perfect conditions....but i am "cold smoking" some bacon today.   I hope i am doing it right....  ;)  

77354795_coldsmoke.jpg

The exact temps for a true cold smoke are different depending on who sights them. Around here we have pretty much said anything under 100 degrees is cold smoking. The thing I strife for when smoking bacon is to keep the temps low enough so as not to render any of the fat. If I can do it I like the smokehouse temps to be in the 60-70 degree range but in Fl that doesn't happen much

Are you using a AMNS for smoke. I don't see any smoke coming out. Looks like perfect conditions for a cold smoke. Let us know how it turns out.

actually, that was a joke.  it is "cold" out and i am smoking.  lol.   smoke wasn't coming out yet as i just got it fired up.  it's rolling along now though.

How long are you planning on smoking it for? Did you take the skin off or is it still on?

skin is on and i figured 2 hours was good.  any less and it might not be smoky enough (i like a good smoke flavor) and too much more than that and i was getting close to danger zone area since i am running about 115F.

The cure makes the "Danger Zone" not an issue that's why you cure it.

2 hours for bacon is not going to get you much smoke flavor can you get the smoker temp down any and let it go longer?

Skin off I usually do 8-10 hours and skin on 11-14 hours

Last edited:
so "cold smoking" is smoking at about less than 100 degrees?  so it would only be for meats that were not too thick that need cooking more thoroughly?  i wondered how you keep the cheese from melting:)  so basically it's the same as regular, just keep the temp down?   cheese is on my bucket list.  salmon might be, but that sounds too difficult for any time soon.

so "cold smoking" is smoking at about less than 100 degrees?  so it would only be for meats that were not too thick that need cooking more thoroughly?Not really Hams are Big, Cured and Smoked   i wondered how you keep the cheese from melting:)  so basically it's the same as regular, just keep the temp down? NO!   cheese is on my bucket list.  salmon might be, but that sounds too difficult for any time soon.
Cheese is one thing but...Meat MUST be CURED with Cure#1 before you attempt to Cold Smoke!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky