Is this unit suitable for a smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brandonthompson

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2013
I recently started on this build and ran a smoke course through it last night. Through some pellets on a pan and set on burner. Temp held well around 180-200 but as pellets got hotter was more around 220
I noticed the panels at the end start bowing a little but wondering more about the insulation in there.
Will be be okay if I fasten the panels and sandwich them together with a bolts around the structure???
Secondly i can’t find the Mfg tag but it is a true - freezer from the logo on the metal.

Input needed if I continue with it to smoke deer sticks or go another route
There is not a lot around my area at all
Here is some pics
5D49A373-F61F-488C-AEC1-64918153850C.jpeg
73102019-7548-4BAA-A5FC-C089D1544A73.jpeg
BFFC78D7-4C94-4543-83E8-79A7F1EBC268.jpeg

If the insulation is the type that won't melt, you should be good to go.

What are you using for the heat source?

JC :emoji_cat:

TRUE uses spray in polyurethane insulation.
https://www.truemfg.com/AboutUs/The-True-Choice

This type of insulation will not melt when subjected to sufficient heat, it will combust into flames.
https://www.reference.com/science-technology/melting-point-polyurethane-b5986d532c9353c7
It will depend on the exact combustion temperature of the foam used, but I would not recommend using this for hot smoking. You could use it for cold smoking below 71*F though. Most people that convert a freezer to a smoker remove the stock insulation and go back in with Rockwool high heat insulation.

Being spray in-the insulation is very difficult to remove in a TRUE Cooler......

If the insulation is the type that won't melt, you should be good to go.

What are you using for the heat source?

Have a propane burner right now , only had it at about 190 in the cabinet with the thermostat being toward the mid range of the door

TRUE uses spray in polyurethane insulation.
https://www.truemfg.com/AboutUs/The-True-Choice

This type of insulation will not melt when subjected to sufficient heat, it will combust into flames.
https://www.reference.com/science-technology/melting-point-polyurethane-b5986d532c9353c7
It will depend on the exact combustion temperature of the foam used, but I would not recommend using this for hot smoking. You could use it for cold smoking below 71*F though. Most people that convert a freezer to a smoker remove the stock insulation and go back in with Rockwool high heat insulation.

Being spray in-the insulation is very difficult to remove in a TRUE Cooler......
Cold smoking is not what I’m after, I’m looking to do deer sticks and summer sausage using a steam cooking method for the cook processs

Have a propane burner right now , only had it at about 190 in the cabinet with the thermostat being toward the mid range of the door

I should set one of my Black Cat controller up for gas fire use. That is a good project. Sounds like your insulation isn't up tot he task for this purpose.

You could convert the unit into a sausage curing chamber and look for a different hot smoking cabinet.

JC

I should set one of my Black Cat controller up for gas fire use. That is a good project. Sounds like your insulation isn't up tot he task for this purpose.

You could convert the unit into a sausage curing chamber and look for a different hot smoking cabinet.

JC
How would one make this a smokeable cabinet? Cut metal out of inside and then have to remove all insulation ?

How would one make this a smokeable cabinet? Cut metal out of inside and then have to remove all insulation ?
I'm sure someone on SMF has done it.Maybe they will see this and chime in. Pretty sure I've seen threads posted doing this on a TRUE cooler. I'm also fairly certain the walls are prefab panels. My concern would be structural integrity if you cut the inside walls out.

Reactions: JC in GB
It has been done before...removing inside metal, then removing insulation...not a fun job...then reinsulating and replacing metal. Just can't remember who it was that did it the most recently.

Ryan

JC

* You think if I convert into an electric unit it would make it better? As I’m sure the btus to the square area will be much less???

* You think if I convert into an electric unit it would make it better? As I’m sure the btus to the square area will be much less???

If I were doing this, I would abandon using this cabinet for hot smoking unless I removed and replaced the insulation. You could try to convert to electric but my concern is once the insulation heats up, even if it doesn't combust, it will likely be outgassing compounds as the insulation breaks down from the heat. I don't know if I would want this on my food or in my lungs. I am not trying to discourage you from a build. I just want you and all involved to be safe when you are done. My $0.02.

Reactions: TNJAKE
If I were doing this, I would abandon using this cabinet for hot smoking unless I removed and replaced the insulation. You could try to convert to electric but my concern is once the insulation heats up, even if it doesn't combust, it will likely be outgassing compounds as the insulation breaks down from the heat. I don't know if I would want this on my food or in my lungs. I am not trying to discourage you from a build. I just want you and all involved to be safe when you are done. My $0.02.

Thinking bout building this however in past I’ve used steam
Cooking method
Any reconditions I should insulate the inside with as well as material for inner walls

This this would work for hot smoking

Attachments

• E9889CAA-EBD2-441B-92FF-23D95288AA5B.png
    E9889CAA-EBD2-441B-92FF-23D95288AA5B.png
    536.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 7D12ABAE-8295-4992-9CFE-744139857593.png
    7D12ABAE-8295-4992-9CFE-744139857593.png
    557.3 KB · Views: 15

Thinking bout building this however in past I’ve used steam
Cooking method
Any reconditions I should insulate the inside with as well as material for inner walls

I would probably use some kind of ceramic fiber blanket type of application. The blanket enclosed to protect it from water and getting fibers in your food. 🤢

What fuel are you planning on using for your smoke house?

I would probably use some kind of ceramic fiber blanket type of application. The blanket enclosed to protect it from water and getting fibers in your food. 🤢

What fuel are you planning on using for your smoke house?

Jc,
We’ll that other fridge fell through.
However not sure the plans but got to pick it up Saturday.
Picking up this prooofer/dehumidifier. It’s about two hours from my place however he said it’s an aluminum construction and doesn’t believe it has any insulation.. so I’m wondering what I should plan for running a element or think open flame would be good for that unit??
Any mock up suggestions where maybe some vents should be?
Was thinking maybe dual hot plate 110v and bypass the switch that kicks it on and off repeatedly.

Attachments

• 26B2E3EE-7432-48AD-AA31-E9B080E069AA.jpeg
    26B2E3EE-7432-48AD-AA31-E9B080E069AA.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 14
  • BF245576-AC33-4C6A-AAE0-3EDA7A240AB2.jpeg
    BF245576-AC33-4C6A-AAE0-3EDA7A240AB2.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 15
Your location is probably the most important factor for how to insulate your smoker. I live in Wisconsin and do quite a bit of smoking during the winter. All of my smokers are insulated. If I lived in Texas, I would likely rethink that.

Insulation is nice for conserving fuel but good airflow through the smoker is necessary for good BBQ IMHO.

Vent placement is not crucial as long as your bottom vent and top vent compliment the airflow. For example. Intake bottom front right corner, exhaust top left corner. Would be a good flow IMHO. Vent slit along the back floor of the cabinet inlet, vent slit at top back wall of cabinet outlet. This would be an example of bad airflow design. I would try to keep my exhaust from being over the food. An exhaust stack that is cooler than the interior invites condensation and dripping onto the food. It is the only thing I don't like about my Stump's Baby Sarina. The air out vent is dead center in the roof of the smoker. Other than that, I love my Stump's smoker. Really puts out great BBQ.

If you are doing your own build, electric or charcoal are probably the easiest way to go. Electric, you need a controller and a heating element. Charcoal, you need a controller and a fan. Building your own rig us very rewarding and educational. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Reactions: brandonthompson
I’m i
Your location is probably the most important factor for how to insulate your smoker. I live in Wisconsin and do quite a bit of smoking during the winter. All of my smokers are insulated. If I lived in Texas, I would likely rethink that.

Insulation is nice for conserving fuel but good airflow through the smoker is necessary for good BBQ IMHO.

Vent placement is not crucial as long as your bottom vent and top vent compliment the airflow. For example. Intake bottom front right corner, exhaust top left corner. Would be a good flow IMHO. Vent slit along the back floor of the cabinet inlet, vent slit at top back wall of cabinet outlet. This would be an example of bad airflow design. I would try to keep my exhaust from being over the food. An exhaust stack that is cooler than the interior invites condensation and dripping onto the food. It is the only thing I don't like about my Stump's Baby Sarina. The air out vent is dead center in the roof of the smoker. Other than that, I love my Stump's smoker. Really puts out great BBQ.

If you are doing your own build, electric or charcoal are probably the easiest way to go. Electric, you need a controller and a heating element. Charcoal, you need a controller and a fan. Building your own rig us very rewarding and educational. I look forward to seeing your progress.

n iowa so we are not far fetched on the unit structure needed. However, I have 100 plus pounds of deer I have to process. So this will have to work for time
Being.
Any ideas on how to insulate that proofer? I was thinking having a few welding blankets maybe seamed together and make like a smoker cover Persay ?? Or any material I could fasten to it ?

Please stop. I can think of a few ways to still use this cabinet, but I can think of many reasons why You should not. Firstly im sure it has been covered but the toxins produced by the blow in poly insulation being heated is enough to say whoa.... lets take a step back and try another cabinet.

Reactions: brandonthompson
Jc,
We’ll that other fridge fell through.
However not sure the plans but got to pick it up Saturday.
Picking up this prooofer/dehumidifier. It’s about two hours from my place however he said it’s an aluminum construction and doesn’t believe it has any insulation.. so I’m wondering what I should plan for running a element or think open flame would be good for that unit??
Any mock up suggestions where maybe some vents should be?
Was thinking maybe dual hot plate 110v and bypass the switch that kicks it on and off repeatedly.
Look at my profile pic. Subway bread proofer I converted to a vertical smoker. I call it the chicken f$$ker. It was built just to handle legs and thighs for large parties

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky