Is this unit suitable for a smoker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Rockwool definitely for the hot side insulating material in a sealed unit. Rockwool on the exterior is the same as fiberglass. It doesn't do the job.
Fiberglass or rockwool need to be in a sealed cavity. If not sealed, they are called a filter
I’m in iowa so we are not far fetched on the unit structure needed. However, I have 100 plus pounds of deer I have to process. So this will have to work for time Being.
Any ideas on how to insulate that proofer? I was thinking having a few welding blankets maybe seamed together and make like a smoker cover Persay ?? Or any material I could fasten to it ?
A proofer is relatively lower temps than actual smoker.
Get 1/2 dozen moving blankets from Harbor Freight

Please stop. I can think of a few ways to still use this cabinet, but I can think of many reasons why You should not. Firstly im sure it has been covered but the toxins produced by the blow in poly insulation being heated is enough to say whoa.... lets take a step back and try another cabinet.
Were past that point. That’s why I went with the proofer. The current one at beginning of the post will be used as prolly .. well
Nothing scrap it lol

Rockwool definitely for the hot side insulating material in a sealed unit. Rockwool on the exterior is the same as fiberglass. It doesn't do the job.
Fiberglass or rockwool need to be in a sealed cavity. If not sealed, they are called a filter

A proofer is relatively lower temps than actual smoker.
Get 1/2 dozen moving blankets from Harbor Freight
Okay will check into those. As mostly the drying of the casings will be done. As for hot smoking plan to use a smoke tube or may even add smoke daddy unit to it. And the cooking process will be steam cooking not so much pork butts or anything like that. Only building this for deer season snacks

Jc,
We’ll that other fridge fell through.
However not sure the plans but got to pick it up Saturday.
Picking up this prooofer/dehumidifier. It’s about two hours from my place however he said it’s an aluminum construction and doesn’t believe it has any insulation.. so I’m wondering what I should plan for running a element or think open flame would be good for that unit??
Any mock up suggestions where maybe some vents should be?
Was thinking maybe dual hot plate 110v and bypass the switch that kicks it on and off repeatedly.
That'll be a great smoker cabinet, almost identical to mine. I'm guessing you could remove that electrical stuff in the bottom pretty easily if you wanted to use a different burner smoke setup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky