Is this too far gone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yamalube

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 16, 2019
Fernandina Beach Florida
This is my MB 40 inch propane. This is where the chip tray/heat diffuser sit. Now it all wobbles and falls over. I tried putting the chips in a cast iron pan, and putting down a cooking tray, but the chips caught fire in no time lol.

Is there anything I can do? Or is it time for a new smoker?

If this is the wrong thread spot, I apologize. I have not been here much. Thanks.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1636645987777.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636645987777.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 54
  • FB_IMG_1636645977973.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636645977973.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 55
  • FB_IMG_1636645962033.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636645962033.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 56
  • FB_IMG_1636645924763.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636645924763.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 56
  • FB_IMG_1636646319564.jpg
    FB_IMG_1636646319564.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 55
Not sure on size could you use a square baking pan flipped over and set chip pan on it?
Maybe. One person told me to put some sheet metal down and rivet it down. But there is so much metal missing from that spot that idk if I want to go through all that hassle.

So can I get rid of the heat diffuser altogether at this point? If I went the cast iron pan route with chunks, what do I rest the cast iron pan on?

So can I get rid of the heat diffuser altogether at this point? If I went the cast iron pan route with chunks, what do I rest the cast iron pan on?
I would think you still need a diffuser. This is where the CI pan comes in. You will need to me mindful of potential grease dripping which even with a pan it would catch fire if there was enough of it. That grate looked like it would work ok, or a couple of pieces of 2” angle iron turned up like ^ one on either side of the burner and spanning across the rust hole.

Looking at your last posted pic.....You could use the CI pan and the grate you have.....Just get a couple of bricks to lift the grate up some so as to give some separation between the burner and CI.
Jim

You can get just reg ole bricks and foil wrap them. Will be fine.
Jim
Thanks. Jim, what is the time difference in smoke time with chunks vs chips. Say for example, when I smoke a steak, whether it be New York strip or ribeye, it's only about an hour. Am I going to utilize those chunks to the fullest in that one hour, or is it a waste?

You've gotta use your inner redneck to MacGyver up a fix, it doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to be functional.

Go to the hardware store and buy a couple pieces of 1.5'' angle iron to lay on the bottom of the smoker. Lay them down like an upside down /\ /\ then set an old cast iron pan on top or them. Cover the chips with and old pot lid or pizza pan only leave one side of the pan open by 1/4'' to 1/2'' gap on one side, either that or you can drill out 5 or 6, 3/8ths inch holes in the pan cover. I'm assuming that you didn't cover your chips with a lid when they caught fire. Covered chips can't catch fire, they will smolder/ carbonize= smoke.
Chips or small chunks will work, I'd use a combo of both to achieve the longest smoke time.

You've gotta use your inner redneck to MacGyver up a fix, it doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to be functional.

Go to the hardware store and buy a couple pieces of 1.5'' angle iron to lay on the bottom of the smoker. Lay them down like an upside down /\ /\ then set an old cast iron pan on top or them. Cover the chips with and old pot lid or pizza pan only leave one side of the pan open by 1/4'' to 1/2'' gap on one side, either that or you can drill out 5 or 6, 3/8ths inch holes in the pan cover. I'm assuming that you didn't cover your chips with a lid when they caught fire. Covered chips can't catch fire, they will smolder/ carbonize= smoke.
Chips or small chunks will work, I'd use a combo of both to achieve the longest smoke time.
Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky