Is it the same thing ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
No they are not the same. I don't know where each part comes from, but I do know they are different cuts. Pops would know exactly where each cut is from.

The reason that I ask is I was told that the Tri-Tip comes from the tip of the Sirloin and recently I start seeing all of these Sirloin Tips around the stores. We only have Tri-Tip around here when Sam`s Club gets them be mistake...And I really like the Tri-Tip.

The reason that I ask is I was told that the Tri-Tip comes from the tip of the Sirloin and recently I start seeing all of these Sirloin Tips around the stores. We only have Tri-Tip around here when Sam`s Club gets them be mistake...And I really like the Tri-Tip.
I think this all will change in the next year or two. This cut is growing in popularity fast

I also think that they make up half of these new cuts to accomadate these cooking shows example is what is shown as OTHER !!!!!!! I did not see other sectioned on that Beef.

I could not find a Sirloin-Tip in any of those photo`s....

I thought I had a Tri-tip one time and posted about it. I was corrected and went back to look at the packaging. It was a Sirloin Tip Roast.

feb2ef48_Roastcarved013.jpg

The tri tip does come from the top sirloin butt of the steer, which is from the beef loin of the animal. Beef loin = money steaks...T-bone, Porterhouse, Topsirloin steak,  Tenderloin.

Sirloin Tip comes from the beef round of the steer.=Whole round steak,Topround, Bottom round, Eye of round.Rump roast,and the Sirloin Tip.

The Tri tip works better as a grilling steak than a sirloin tip steak, But a sirloin tip roast cooked slow to med rare and sliced for sammies is out of this world. Its all in how you cook it.  I dont have all the cool examples that Pops seems to find on the net or I would post some pics. Maybe he will be along sometime to give ya some examples.

Enjoy!! Beef is awesome!

SOB

Tri-tips are fast becoming popular with all the BBQ enthusiasts out there. Up until lately it was pretty much a west coast thing, but now you're starting to see them here in the east. They are great grilled or smoked, and the meat is very tender. I had my neighbor (a butcher) get me some a few months back and that was my first taste. It won't be my last. Trader Joe's carry them, and now Wegmans I see have them. The 2 I got from Trader Joe's were inferior compared to my neighbors. I was at Wegmans yesterday and they had some nice ones @ 7.99 LB. They usually run a bit more than 2 LBS so you're looking at about $20 for one. Expensive, yes, good, absolutely. My neighbor's store had 8.99 LB on the label, got 'em for half that but we do each other favors all the time. If you do get some, don't overcook them, pull 'em at about 130-135, you'll love them. Just my 2 cents guys, smoke on.

It's good to see that the Tri Tip is being recognized beyond the west (left) coast. It's a great cut,and yes it's best grilled over red oak, if you can find it. It's all good my friend.

My butcher here in louisiana says the reason they don't cut tri tip is that it takes parts of 3 popular cuts .

Bmudd brout some tri tip from cali to the gathering and it was fantastic.

Originally Posted by SmokingOhioButcher  

But a sirloin tip roast cooked slow to med rare and sliced for sammies is out of this world. Its all in how you cook it.  I dont have all the cool examples that Pops seems to find on the net or I would post some pics. Maybe he will be along sometime to give ya some examples.

Enjoy!! Beef is awesome!

SOB
 That's what we did with the one I posted above. Run those slices thru some Au Jus and onto a good roll. YUM.

I always felt bad about not seeing Tri-tips here in the East, but if they're gonna get $8.99 for them, when I can get Choice Rib Roast for $4.99/$5.99, they can keep them out West.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky