Is it the same thing ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whoa!!! I'm sorry folks!   I have made a mistake...I have been made aware that its the bottom sirloin  that the tri tip comes from. Sorry to have misled anyone.

I just went by the name that comes on the box that our sirloins come in. the " XT Top Sirloin Butt". I'll try to be more careful next time.

SOB

My kids grill them all the time because they live in Ca. but they can`t cook them right. They always come out tough and to well done. I have smoked 3 of them that I got in Sam`s Club and they came in by mistake. They were 5.25 a lb. I smoked them to Med Rare then wrapped them in foil and let them rest for a couple of hours. It was about the best piece of meat I had ever eaten. Now I can`t get them anymore.

2ed7f451_04290022111.jpg

Here is one of the Tri-Tips that I smoked..

Thanks when I previously posted this photo if I remember correctly some told me that I had sliced it incorrectly. Any comments about that.

Thanks when I previously posted this photo if I remember correctly some told me that I had sliced it incorrectly. Any comments about that.
I remember that. It's hard to tell in this picture, but it does look like it was sliced with the grain, instead of across.

I think that is what was said. I didn't say anything pro or con, because I couldn't see for sure, and you said it was tender.

Either way it looks real good!

Bear

Thanks Bear and it is sad that I can`t get them anymore. Man it was melt in your mouth...

The first one I did I sliced it the wrong way too. It was still good. The next one was even better after I learned. Once you get the rub on you can't tell which way the grain goes, gotta use the toothpick method.

Thanks Bear and it is sad that I can`t get them anymore. Man it was melt in your mouth...
Like I mentioned earlier, I used to feel slighted that it was hard to find Tri-tips in the NorthEast, but if I can get Choice Rib Roast (Prime Rib) for $4.95/$5.95, why would I want to pay $6 to $8 for Tri-tips?

No doubt it is good, but in my opinion, nothing beats a good smoked Prime Rib.

Bear

Like I mentioned earlier, I used to feel slighted that it was hard to find Tri-tips in the NorthEast, but if I can get Choice Rib Roast (Prime Rib) for $4.95/$5.95, why would I want to pay $6 to $8 for Tri-tips?

No doubt it is good, but in my opinion, nothing beats a good smoked Prime Rib.

Bear
Can't argue with you there bear. However, the tri-tip has a much different flavor and texture than a rib roast. It's nice to do something different occasionally and play wid the meat.

Can't argue with you there bear. However, the tri-tip has a much different flavor and texture than a rib roast. It's nice to do something different occasionally and play wid the meat.
Very good point !

Plus I never ate Prime Rib more than 4 days in a row (left overs), but I'll bet if I ate it every day for a month, I'd get tired of it---Well maybe 2 months?

Bear

Very good point !

Plus I never ate Prime Rib more than 4 days in a row (left overs), but I'll bet if I ate it every day for a month, I'd get tired of it---Well maybe 2 months?

Bear
I understand completely, red meat for me is like cold beer, I just never get tired of it.
cheers.gif

Its also hard for me to find prime rib...I am in hicksville USA or as I usually call it Pittsville. But when I have no truck payment and no House payment and no Taxes I cant complain to much about not being able to find Tri-Tip. lol

Here in central California we bought tri tips back in the 70's because they were a good grilling cut and they were dirt cheap!  Unless we get them on sale, they are now a luxury meat.  I guess the secret got out and drove up the price.  So sad.

Good luck and good smoking!

We eat Tri-Tip quite a bit here. Its best cooked rare and you definitely should let it rest fully and slice it against the grain. Its a really great piece of beef to cook for a large party.  

Yes, slice across the grain and slice pretty thin.  Next time you fix one, look carefully at the grain before you rub.  You will find the grain running in different directions in different sections of the roast.  Making a note of that makes proper slicing across the grain easier because finding the grain on a cooked one can be difficult.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky