Internal temp of meat safe??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
So I was recruited by the youth pastor at my church to smoke a couple briskets for a Super Bowl party today. Told him no problem I’ve done a ton of briskets before and people generally like them. However I think I have a problem.

I put the briskets on my smoker at 1am central. I let them ride until about 8 am central when it seemed they had hit the stall. Brisket 1 IT was 174.9 and brisket 2 was around 165, smoker temp running between 240-270. They did have to sit outside on a table for a bit but not long at all.

When I got briskets back situated I re-inserted the probes and now brisket 1 was reading like 144-151. I tried probing several different spots, the highest I could find was 158 but flat was closer to like 145-146. This is the first time I’ve had this issue. I didn’t deviate from how I normally do them so I don’t understand the drop. Unless I originally had the probe in fat maybe? Anyways do y’all think it’s ok to eat being I injected it and it took that long?

I personally would not have concerns . Doesn't take much for ambient temps to cause warm meat to condensate and start a internal temp drop .
Your IT was already past 140 anyway .

I personally say your fine, are you cooking it again seems like a low internal temp to make them tender.
No I usually carry mine to around 205-208 but when I noticed that big drop it raised some red flags because I knew I pierced the meat with my injector. I just let it go anyways and wanted to see what the fine folks here had to say about it.

You're safe. You had already surpassed the danger zone and the little nasties have retreated. When you reinserted the probes did you do it in the same spots? Different areas of the brisket will read differently. It's the nature of the beast. Enjoy the day and the brisket

Chris

You're safe. You had already surpassed the danger zone and the little nasties have retreated. When you reinserted the probes did you do it in the same spots? Different areas of the brisket will read differently. It's the nature of the beast. Enjoy the day and the brisket

Chris
I highly doubt it. I usually just ballpark close to where I think it was. I’ve done it a ton and I usually have some change in temp but it just seemed strange to me this was like 30°.

I highly doubt it. I usually just ballpark close to where I think it was. I’ve done it a ton and I usually have some change in temp but it just seemed strange to me this was like 30°.
Not sure why you pulled them out, guessing to wrap them? Anyways, I would say you had a bigger temp drop because you pulled them in the stall, so that evaporative effect kept cooling them. Temperature wise I say you are safe as well. Be sure to post up some pictures of the finish.

Safety wise you are fine, but at that finish temp, I think it may be a bit tough. Just keep cooking it, you’ll be fine.
Al

Not sure why you pulled them out, guessing to wrap them? Anyways, I would say you had a bigger temp drop because you pulled them in the stall, so that evaporative effect kept cooling them. Temperature wise I say you are safe as well. Be sure to post up some pictures of the finish.
Yea I pulled them out to wrap. I usually do around the stall. I didn’t think I had any issue until i had it wrapped, back on, and went to stick the probe in and couldn’t find anything near that 175 again.

Thank y’all for the help/advice yesterday! The first brisket was demolished before I got a pic and I just got a quick pic of a few pieces from the second one!

Attachments

• EB4CD384-5D53-473A-92F5-6F1F29CCA38E.jpeg
    EB4CD384-5D53-473A-92F5-6F1F29CCA38E.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: chopsaw
Thank y’all for the help/advice yesterday!
Happy it worked out for you , and always good to ask if you're unsure .
I was smoking a ham once . 14 degrees outside . Therm said internal temp was 150 . So I checked it with an instant read to make sure . The cold air got inside the smoker and the temp of the ham dropped to 142 . Doesn't take much .

Reactions: JLeonard
Happy it worked out for you , and always good to ask if you're unsure .
I was smoking a ham once . 14 degrees outside . Therm said internal temp was 150 . So I checked it with an instant read to make sure . The cold air got inside the smoker and the temp of the ham dropped to 142 . Doesn't take much .
Yea I would much rather just take the loss of paying for the brisket rather than someone getting sick off my food. Definitely a new lesson learned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky