Internal temp chart for the "Reverse-Sear' ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pigeyex

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 31, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Can anyone give me a link, or provide?  Looking to know what internal temp to take steaks to in the smoker, presuming a quick (1-2 minutes on an extremely hot gas grill to reverse-sear) finish on the grill?

I prefer my steak "medium," but wife likes medium-well and the kids well-done.  I'd like to know what internal temps to take them to, but mostly only see recipes and how-to's that assume everyone likes their steak "rare."

I've never smoked a steak before -- just ribs and wings -- but am intrigued to try it.  The only beef I've ever heard of people smoking before is briskit, and I loooove a grilled-steak, but I do miss my old 22" Weber charcoal-grilled flavor.  I have a Jenn-Air gas grill, and it's just not the same.

thanks,

Pigeye

These are approximate.....

Very Rare Steak – 120°
Rare Steak – 125°
Medium-Rare Steak – 130° – 135°
Medium Steak – 140° – 145°
Medium-Well Steak – 150° – 155°
Well-Done Steak – 160°

~Martin

I just did some ribeyes over the weekend . Took them to 110 ,
my wife likes her steak well done and I like mine med-rare.
Put her steak on the grill ( mine stay in the smoker) then after
Flipping her's over I throw my steak on . They got done about the same time .
Hope this helps you

These are approximate.....
Very Rare Steak – 120°
Rare Steak – 125°
Medium-Rare Steak – 130° – 135°
Medium Steak – 140° – 145°
Medium-Well Steak – 150° – 155°
Well-Done Steak – 160°
~Martin
Thanks.  Just to confirm, these are not FINAL temps for each doneness, but rather the internal temps at which I would take the steak out of the smoker, to do the reverse-sear on the hot gas grill?  Because I assume that last step is going to cause additional doneness.

thanks,

Pigeye

The temp he gave you is the finish temp . I would think if you stay 10 degrees under should be able put them on the grill a few minutes to finish them

You'll have to experiment...a lot depends on thickness, grill temp/time, etc

I usually go 10 (actually closer to 20) deg below finishing temp when I pull, then put them on a 1000* cast iron plate for about 30 sec per side...ahhhh heaven...

Thanks all!  I guess I'll experiment with 100-110, considering we both like them medium (me) to medium-well (her), and adjust accordingly.  Can't wait to try it, and wondering if this OAK-GRILLED flavor might be what I get at a fine steakhouse (since they grill over oak grills), that is decidedly MISSING when I just use the gas Jenny.

Assuming  nice 1-1/2" thick NY strips, about how long will it take me, smoking them at 225-240, to get the IT up to 100-110, do you think? 

Pigeye

well...for medium, 20* below target should be around 120*...I think the 100-110 may get you closer to med rare

for 1.5 in, you're prolly looking 30-40 min...and I usually flip them at about 90* (generally at the 20 min mark)...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky