Insane 5-Star Stuffed Tater W/Chuck Roast (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Weather was pretty nasty last Saturday so I made a run into town to load up on meat. One of the things I got was a 9# Prime Chuck Roast that I had the butcher cut for me. Most of this was ground up and pressed into our gourmet burgers, which are about my wife's favorite thing in the world that comes off the grill. I had a 3# piece of the roast left and knew I was gonna do something with it the next day but had no idea what it'd be. I took it out and cold smoked it for about 3 1/2 hours with hickory pellets in the AMNPS then into a zip lock bag where it sat in the fridge overnight. Next day dawned sunny and beautiful so I knew we'd be working in the yard all day and I started dinner with the Chuck Roast in the slow cooker. Here's what went into the pot to cook:

3# Chuck Roast
1 jar Heinz Savory Beef Gravy
12 oz. Beef Broth
2 t Beef Bouillon (granular)
2 t Black Pepper
1 1/2 t Garlic Powder
2 T Minced Onion (dried)

Set the temp on high just to get it heated up then dropped to low to finish cooking. Total cook time was about 9 hours and it was fall-apart tender. My intention was to serve the roast in chunks with homemade garlic mashed potatoes & gravy from the pot and fresh steamed green beans. Later that afternoon we were lounging out poolside having a cold adult libation and I explained my plan to the wife. She took pity on my wretched soul and recommended an easier way by just doing stuffed baked taters with shredded Chuck Roast. Seemed viable to me but I wanted a fresh veggie element with dinner. This is where I may have exceeded the legal limit for stupid and decided to saute some fresh spinach to top the tater with. Well...turned out to be a really good idea. Here's what I conjured up:

Chuck roast all done in the slow cooker soaking in some amazingly succulent gravy
047.jpg

Roast all shredded up
048.jpg

Spinach sauteing in butter and fresh garlic
046.jpg

Tater all cooked, the "meat" of it chopped up, and a large dollop of butter
049.jpg

Top the tater with shredded Chuck Roast
050.jpg

Add a couple ladle fulls of the gravy from the pot
051.jpg

Spinach next
052.jpg

Money Shot after a good sprinkle of gourmet grated Parmesan cheese
053.jpg

At this point you can barely tell that there's a tater under all that yummy stuff but I promise, there is one :emoji_wink: This actually came out WAY better than I had ever anticipated it would. All of the flavors came together beautifully and the gravy totally set it over the top. There are a couple tubs of the shredded roast left in the freezer and the wife has laid down the law that we (meaning me) will be making these again. That's a high honor and stuff like this is what keeps the purse strings open to finance my culinary addiction:emoji_blush:

Is there really a legal limit for stupid?
Robert

It doesn't get any better than that Robert!
Awesome job & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al

"It doesn't get any better than that Robert!
Awesome job & congrats on making the carousel!!!
Al"

Whoa Al!! Thanks so much. I'd have never anticipated a carousel ride with something as simple as a baked tater...although it was about the most creative tater I've done as well as the best tasting. Honored and humbled once gain.

Wow....
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky