Input Requested: Anybody Used Spice Mixes From The Sausage Maker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
There are a couple of sausages I've tried making that although good, were not up to my expectations. Looking through the mixes that TSM has available there are several that I might like to try but am reluctant to buy something untested. I'm not going to list all of the ones that caught my eye so just looking for somewhat of a blanket summary on the overall quality and "authenticity" of their spice mixes. If anyone has used any of them, I'd appreciate any feedback you have to offer before dropping a ton of money on stuff.

Many thanks,
Robert

I use www.butcher-packer.com for all my spices and mixes, plus equipment, too. they are of excellent quality! Much better than anything I've gotten from TSM. Website isn't as fancy; they put their money into their items for sale instead.

Reactions: shoebe
For pre mixed Sausage seasoning I like Owens BBQ. I've used The Sausage Maker they are ok But you need to use more then the directions all for. Owens is great as is.

Reactions: mossymo
I've used a few mixes from TSM . Going to be subject to what people like as far as flavor .
Landjaeger - didn't do much for me
Hot pork sausage - can be salty needs a good mixing before using . I like it . The sausage makes great gravy .
Breakfast sausage - Yes . I've bought it twice , will again .
German sausage - yes , makes a good fresh sausage or smoked .
Mid west Bratwurst - Yes. My favorite Brat seasoning , very good for what I think a bratwurst should be .
Polska Kielbasa - Yes . Great fresh or smoked .
Tex Mex chili seasoning - Yes . Great stuff . I use it for alot of things .
Sweet Italian - Yes . Linked up and bulk .
Wiener Sausage - Yes , has great hot dog taste .
Maple sausage - Not so much .
Smoked Pepperoni - Not so much .

I have not used any other brands . I plan on trying the mixes from Owens . I would like to have the mix do 5 lbs . So you get the right amounts of salt , and seasonings . Instead of dipping out of a jar that might do 20 lbs .
I've had good results with TSM , just have to get it mixed good before you add to the meat mix .

I've used B&P, Owens and AC Leggs spice blends. Good results with all of them. AC Leggs #116 is my favorite base for snack sticks. There is also nothing that says you can't doctor up a pre-mix base from any vendor to get a different flavor, which is what I do with sticks.

Reactions: mossymo
Thanks to all for the helpful and informative responses. Guess I've always been somewhat a creature of habit. I started with TSM from the very beginning, have always gotten excellent service, and have pretty much stayed in my comfort zone with them. Guess it's time to break some old habits :-) I've bookmarked the sites mentioned here and will start my research.

Truly appreciative,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky