Input please -- sausage stuffer on Craigslist

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
John

Looks like a nice stuffer, but I think some of the guys have gotten Just as nice of a stuffer from Harbor Frieght for less money. Check out Pops Signature line to see his. JMHO

SOB

cool.gif

Now it looks good but you better you have better want to make a boatload of sausage. Now you can get a stuffer for maybe 75.00 bucks  for a brand new one. I have a 5lber and it's a great unit but I don't make that much sausage. Maybe Martin (solaryellow) a friend here that makes 30-50lbs in a weekend.

Last edited:
Just an FYI - Here is one that lots of folks use brand new from the manufacturer

http://www2.northerntool.com/food-processing/item-168889.htm

and here is one from a great site that guarantees to beat anyone on the net - I have purchased from them several times with great results

http://www.everythingkitchens.com/LEM-15-lb-Sausage-Stuffer.html

The sausage maker one is a good one for sure - I ended up with a 5# LEM for $105 and am very happy with it, so there are lots of options out there

One thing to consider is how much you will stuff at a given time, some of the guys here do up to 50# at time yet others like me only do 5-10# so the 15 makes no sense for me

Good luck which ever way you go   

oops! Thanks Scarbelly! Pops is the one from Northern Tool!

My mistake!

SOB
I think you remember seeing a post from someone on a grinder at Harbor freight - I saw that one too but their tools never last very long so I shyed away from it and am still using my KitchenAid grinder attachment - BTW thanks for all your great posts - I learn from you all the time

I make a little sausage, but not in the quantity that some of the guys here do.

The Northern Tool stuff is highly rated by a lot here.  I wish I had done more research and bought the Northern Tool grinder, although mine works well for the small quantities I make.

Pops is a guy who will give you good info, as are others here.  He should be by here soon.  If not, you could PM him.  He is always very helpful and doesn't seem to mind PM's from people needing help.

Thanks guys!  I doubt I'll be making huge batches of sausage.  Can't see doing more than 5-10 lbs.  So maybe this one is overkill.  Thanks for the links...I think I'll consider one a bit smaller.

John,

I can tell you all I know about stuffers in little time:

I just got an LEM stuffer (5 pounder). It has steel gears.

The one from Northern and the one from Cabela's has nylon gears. There are mixed opinions about the nylon gears.

Somebody said you can buy the one with nylon gears (cheap). Then if the gears hold up----fine. If they don't hold up, they say you can buy the steel gears & replace the nylon gears with steel gears cheaper than buying the one with steel gears.

That is my complete knowledge of stuffers.
frown.gif

Bear

I would suggest going to Northern Tool and compare'  I have the same stuffer shown at NT from Gander Mountain and it has metal gears.  I Couldnt tell from the description at grizzly if they are or not

I would suggest going to Northern Tool and compare'  I have the same stuffer shown at NT from Gander Mountain and it has metal gears.  I Couldnt tell from the description at grizzly if they are or not
The 5# like I have has the Nylon Gears but they are interchangeable with the steel ones from LEM.  The are Identical other than that.

I got mine from Northern, but I will tell you if I purchased another one from them I would spend the few extra bucks to get the one with metal gears. I have already had to replace my gears, and bought an extra set just in case. I don't see any reason to buy the mega buck stuffers unless you are doing a lot of sausage.

JB

I bought the 5 lb from the sausage maker.  I bought the cheap one.

It's OK, not great by any means.  I have probably run somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 lbs through it and it still works ok.

I can say this about size.  I seem to do batches that exceed 5 lbs.  I have never done a batch that exceeded 15 lbs.  I dislike reloading the stuffer.

if i get another one, i will get a 15 even if I only make 5 at a time.  To set it up once, and make all the sausage, is worth the few extra bucks to me.

I have a 25 lb. stuffer from The Sausage Maker, they make a good quality product. If it were me I would get the 15 lb. stuffer; it hurts nothing to make a 5 or 10 lb. batch out of it and you will always be able to do more if you choose too. Another big reason to go with that one is resale; with a $200 investment in it you should always be able to get your investment back. The Sausage Maker stuffers hold their value well, search completed items on eBay to give you an idea on resale.

Last edited:
I bought the Gander Mountain 15 lb model a while back... they had a promo code and free shipping so I got it for right around $150... it has all metal gears and works great.  As someone mentioned you can always do less than 15 lbs... I usually do batches of 5-10 and it's nice not having to reload it.

I am crazy mad stupid in love with my 5# Grizzly.

Even if I have a 15 or 20 lb day... I can adjust seasonings, make various flavors... and it re-stuffs SO easy, I have never wanted for anything more. It bolted right to my sausage counter (yes, I have a separate kitchen for sausage, now hush and don't make fun!!) and just sits waiting for me to start cranking that handle. 

http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Vertical-Sausage-Stuffer-SS/H6252

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky