Injecting While Cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gentoo-HTF

Original poster
Mar 28, 2021
Woodbury, MN
Who's tried injecting large cuts (pork shoulder, brisket, etc.) while cooking? Does it help moisture or flavor? Is it safer than injecting before cooking? Thanks for your thoughts!

I do not inject butts have tried and didn't notice much difference if any.
I do inject briskets and find they come out with more juice in them don't think it adds much to the flavor to them but maybe a little

Reactions: chopsaw
If you inject, do so before the cook. Use a recipe that applies injection to meat weight and use STP (phosphate) otherwise there really isn’t a point to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
There is a competition technique called a 'late injection', and you do this during the stall or before you wrap the big meats, or at the end of a chicken cook. You don't use your early injection liquid because that is too strong and likely heavier on the salt.... which has time to cook down during the first 5 or 6 hours the meat is on the pit. The late injection is just a flavor bump and helps with moistness. Think of it as a savory beef or pork au-jus that compliments the meat. A late injection on chicken thighs can be something as simple as a butter broth. I've judged chicken that was so juicy it squirted when taking a bite.

I actually tried that once, the liquid came out as fast as I was putting it in. May have helped some but it was pretty much cooked when I tried it.

I should have said I inject the night before

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky