• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Injecting While Cooking

Gentoo-HTF

Joined Mar 28, 2021
Who's tried injecting large cuts (pork shoulder, brisket, etc.) while cooking? Does it help moisture or flavor? Is it safer than injecting before cooking? Thanks for your thoughts!

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
I do not inject butts have tried and didn't notice much difference if any.
I do inject briskets and find they come out with more juice in them don't think it adds much to the flavor to them but maybe a little

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2020
If you inject, do so before the cook. Use a recipe that applies injection to meat weight and use STP (phosphate) otherwise there really isn’t a point to it.

Last edited:

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
There is a competition technique called a 'late injection', and you do this during the stall or before you wrap the big meats, or at the end of a chicken cook. You don't use your early injection liquid because that is too strong and likely heavier on the salt.... which has time to cook down during the first 5 or 6 hours the meat is on the pit. The late injection is just a flavor bump and helps with moistness. Think of it as a savory beef or pork au-jus that compliments the meat. A late injection on chicken thighs can be something as simple as a butter broth. I've judged chicken that was so juicy it squirted when taking a bite.

olaf

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 4, 2017
I actually tried that once, the liquid came out as fast as I was putting it in. May have helped some but it was pretty much cooked when I tried it.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
I should have said I inject the night before

Gentoo-HTF

Joined Mar 28, 2021
Why would you?
I thought the meat might not lose so much of the water and it might be safer if the internal temperature is above 140 but mostly the water effect. Anyway it sounds like this is done in competition sometimes.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.