Injecting pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbrock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Richmond Ky
I know some people do and some people dont inject boston butt. I have never done it before and I am going to try it at least one time. what do all suggest that I inject it with is there any good recipes for a injection. Thanks for any help or suggestions you all may have.

icon_cool.gif

Now there are as many injection recipes as there are recipes for pork. I have never injectied a butt or a shoulder. I have found mine come out really juicy without. But If I was going to I might go with a mixture of brothes, and spices. Maybe some garlic and cajun seasoning in some chicken broth might be a good one. Heck go look in the wiki section here maybe under marinades and sauces.

I like to inject the butts that I smoke.  I usually use, 1 cup chicken broth, 3 T of my rub, stick of real butter, 2 T of lemon juice and a couple pinches of white pepper.  I found that if I grind the rub in a spice grinder prior to adding it to the broth, it dissolves better.  Heat the mixture on stove to melt butter and mix everything together.  Let cool and inject.  For me, it isnt a matter of making the butt jucier, but giving it a better flavor that I like more.  Havent met a person yet that didnt like it.  But I do still smoke them without injecting and still turn out good.

Last edited:
I know some people do and some people dont inject boston butt. I have never done it before and I am going to try it at least one time. what do all suggest that I inject it with is there any good recipes for a injection. Thanks for any help or suggestions you all may have.
I can tell you what NOT to use.

Anything that can break down the meat like a Vinegar based ingredient.

It will make it mushy.

I would stay away from salty ingredients as well.

I have done it both ways, and honestly can't tell the difference...

When I do inject them I use apple juice, melon liquor (sweet), dry rub and worchester (sp?) sauce.

No specific amounts for each item, just depends on how it pours out.

I may try coke or dr. pepper next time.

Let us know what you use, and don't forget the Qview!

I injected my first on and it came out great so I have been doing it the same way since.  Apple juice, whorchestshire, garlic and s&p

I leave mine in the cryovac and use beef broth with some onion and garlic powder. I mix the injection fluid and let it absorb for a while in the fridge, then strain it so it doesn't clog my injector. Sometimes I also add habanero sauce if i'm in the mood for a kick. Let them rest in the fridge overnight and smoke em. Here's one I did with a butt and shoulder. Enjoy.
icon_cool.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=474859#post474859

I use a cup of apple juice with my rub mixed in at about 1-2 tbs of the rub.  For me it is not about the moisture as much as getting my rub flavor deep throughout the meat. 

I use a cup of apple juice with my rub mixed in at about 1-2 tbs of the rub.  For me it is not about the moisture as much as getting my rub flavor deep throughout the meat. 
I also use this method but do add 1/4 C of Captain Morgan to the apple juice

I agree with the last two apple juice a tp or two of rub some captian & I also spritz with it! If you haven't tried soflaquers finishing sauce you should! It's the cherry on top :) it's in the wiki

It will make it mushy.

Someone mentioned Dr. Pepper.  Wouldn't that break down the meat and make it mushy?

Someone mentioned Dr. Pepper.  Wouldn't that break down the meat and make it mushy?

I do know that if you use too much of a vinegar base you run the risk of making it mushy.  I won't use apple cider vinegar more than 8-10 hrs before I smoke because when i did, it made it slightly mushy.

I have only heard about the Dr. Pepper and I have not used it yet.  From what I heard it helps bring out the flavor.  Maybe it's reserved more for brisket since it's a tougher meat? 

I know you have to try things once to see if you like the results...

It will make it mushy.

I have to disagree with all due respect. I inject with my marinade that is at it's base a 50-50 water/Apple cider vinegar. Pulled from heat at 195* and never come out mushy. The main thing besides taste in an injection it make sure your spices can fit through the needle!

Either grind your spices down to fine powder, (pepper corns are the worst), or strain through a cheese cloth.

I agree with Shooter Rick.  It's more about getting flavor in there, than moisture.  I use Cajun Injector garlic flavor, but you could make your own using Lea and Perrins as the base with some garlic and herbs added in.  I like to use something with some pretty bold flavor because I find the pulled pork to be somewhat bland with only the rub on the outside. 

I have a butt I am planning on smoking, and I am thinking about injecting it with honey bbq sause thinned out with honey burbon.

I have a butt I am planning on smoking, and I am thinking about injecting it with honey bbq sause thinned out with honey burbon.
I've heard good things about the Honey burbon.  I'm not sure about injecting the BBQ sauce... mainly because I haven't done it.  Doesn't mean it wouldn't be killer though.  Your best be it to try it and see if it works.  Who knows, we may all be doing it by next weekend it if works well.

I've never done the Dr. Pepper thing either but from what I understand besides the flavor it gives... it has an advantage having something to do with the carbonation. Thus, beer, sprite... what ever would have the same effect with yet a different flavor. Hopefully some science type will chime in with more on this. 

Cup of apple juice, tablespoon of Worcestershire, tablespoon of soy sauce, tablespoon of honey, tablespoon of Sriracha, one chicken bullion cube. It's got the sweet, heat, salty & savory. Very well rounded flavor. Doesn't overpower the flavor of the meat or clog your injector. Just an all around good injection for a single Boston butt.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky