In the works

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ab canuck

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 20, 2016
Alberta Canada
Well I have been going crazy at home last 6-8 weeks catching up on things that were neglected and missed through the winter we had, I finally got to do some work on the smokehouse. I have it to the point that we can use it for cold smoking, still waiting for my welder friend to finish the firebox / heat source before I head back out to work for the season which is now not happening in time. Back at it tomorrow. We seasoned / smoked it for 3 days with a couple AMNPS and a couple of the smoke generators out of bradley's for 3 days, then did our first batch of bacon in it. Here are a few pics thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20170603_132054.jpg
    20170603_132054.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 163
  • 20170603_132124.jpg
    20170603_132124.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Boarded.jpg
    Boarded.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 166
  • SH1.jpg
    SH1.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 162
Wow you could smoke a 3 or 4 Mooseseseses in there at one time! You could just move out there when the in-laws come a visiting and have that good smoky smell for all winter while they visit. LOL

Awesome looking smoke house!

Yes that is a scratch coat on it. My intention is still to line it with stainless or aluminum. I am out of time right now so hopefully this summer I will be able to. My wife says to leave it the way it is, she has gotten the smoking bug as well now.

Lol, Foam we decided to do a 4x6 inside for when we do sausage and large batches. We usually do a couple hundred pounds at a time, we also have been raising our own pork so now we can do our bacon and hams at one time as opposed to 3 or 4 smokes.

That's a great looking smoke house Charlie, I'm glad this thread was brought back to life.

Chris

ab- if you go the aluminum flashing route, I recommend aluminum nails to secure it in the smokehouse. No galvanic corrosion to worry about then.

*edit to add: I also recommend pre-drilling the nail holes with a slightly smaller bit so as not to split the wood.

I plan on going with a wood heat source. I had a firebox built by a friend, still sitting in his garage, I want to be able to pipe it in and supply heat that way, I am still toying with idea of adding a fan to give that convection effect, Not sure yet. Cold smoking I have been more than happy with the results. All of which I owe the people of this site many thx for. So much knowledge and help here it is just GREAT!!! Yes for sure to pre-drill the holes, I would like this to last as long as possible, Slowly getting our grown up kids involved in the whole hunting, butchering and smoking thing. It is a much better product IMO doing it ourselves. Thx for looking and the Likes. Appreciated.

Reactions: foamheart
Lol, Yes it is, We do about 200lbs of sausage at a time, so we wanted to be able to do it all at once if we want, As well as raising pigs for us and our family so lots of bacon and soon we will be trying to do hams. It may a little big but what the heck lol.

Lol, Yes it is, We do about 200lbs of sausage at a time, so we wanted to be able to do it all at once if we want, As well as raising pigs for us and our family so lots of bacon and soon we will be trying to do hams. It may a little big but what the heck lol.

So now when ya get in the doghouse, you can go to the smoke house and be more comfortable!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky