In search of a peppery rub

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maplemountain q

Original poster
Jul 9, 2014
So I've definitely taken a liking to foiling ribs using the brown sugar/butter/molasses method.  I'd like to tone down the sweet by contrasting with a peppery rub.  I've considered modifying my rub to use less sugar(s) and bump up the heat with either more cayenne or black pepper but wanted to cast a line and see if anyone can provide some recipes or other insight.  

Thanks in advance!

You're heading in my direction, less sugar and more heat.

Cayenne or other red pepper powder would be a good start. Begin with a moderate amount and see how much you're comfortable with. Consider combining the heat with another flavor like garlic or onion.

One caution: If you're handling pepper powder, like patting it on to the meat, either wear gloves or do a very thorough job of washing your hands before you touch any part of your body.

BTW in case you haven't tried it, it's possible to smoke-dry peppers, then grind those for a smoked-pepper powder.

Reactions: maplemountain q
Good things to know Blue...!

Good thinking on the smoke-dry peppers.  I'm considering using a chipotle powder and seeing if I get that smoky-heat that I'm after.  I anticipate a Q-view coming this weekend!

There's also another pepper smoking thread going now.

The thing about making your own chipotle is, you choose which peppers, and you choose which smoke. Yah!

This first Rub recipe has some bite and the second is even hotter...JJ

Carolina Q Dust  

1/2C Sugar in the Raw (Turbinado)

2T Sweet Paprika (Hungarian)

1T Kosher Salt

1T Chili Powder 

1T Granulated Garlic

1T Granulated Onion

1T Mustard Powder

1T Grnd. Black Pepper

1T Grnd. White Pepper

1tsp Cayenne Pepper, or more as desired.

1tsp Grd. Cumin

1tsp Dry Thyme, rubbed

Makes about 1 Cup. This has some Heat from the the jar but mellows when Smoked. If too Hot, reduce the Black, White and Cayenne Pepper.

Run for the Border Rub

One for the Chili Heads!

2T Kosher Salt

2T Ancho Chile Powder

1T Chipotle Powder

1T Oregano, Mexican is preferred 

1T Gran Garlic

1T Gran Onion

1T Black Pepper

1T Cayenne

1-2tsp Gnd Cumin

1tsp Cocoa Powder

1/2tsp Cinnamon

Optional:

2T Turbinado Sugar (Sugar in the Raw)

Makes 3/4 to 1Cup Rub.

This stuff is HOT and full flavored with touch of Smokiness. Feel free to adjust the heat to your taste by playing with the amount of Chipotle and Cayenne Powder. All the ingredients are available at the Grocery Store. This stuff will also Kick Butt as the seasoning in a batch of Chili, leave out the Sugar...JJ

That Border rub looks interesting. A lot of people are surprised at how much cocoa and cinnamon are in some Mexican regional cooking. Try sprinkling a bit into taco beef.

Thanks for the insight Chef Jimmy!  Much appreciation...

The carolina Q is definitely getting used, I like the looks of that rub.  The thought of the peppers and sweet sugary glaze is sounding fantastic.  I'm looking to do ribs 3 ways - the peppery rub with sweet glaze finish, my standard pork rub and foiling with apple juice/beer/etc, and a third that I haven't yet determined.  Looking forward to the pepper ribs more than anything...thanks fellow smokers!

Good things to know Blue...!

Good thinking on the smoke-dry peppers.  I'm considering using a chipotle powder and seeing if I get that smoky-heat that I'm after.  I anticipate a Q-view coming this weekend!
I usually throw a few jalapenos in almost every time is smoke and then I thread them on with the others hanging from the curtain rod in my kitchen. They dry pretty darn quick and then you can grind them in a coffee grinder. I just keep taking dried ones off the other end and putting fresh ones on the other end. Like a never ending cycle of heat. haha. I loves me some heat.

I love just good ole black pepper.  I like the larger grain.  I use a black pepper and salt base in all of my rubs, then add a little bit of the other stuff.  And I recently started added just a little cayenne to kick the heat up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky