IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT-Please Read

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Small world, Dawn!! I was born in Ogden in the old St. Benedict's Hospital almost 50 years ago. :D

Hey Dutch!

I remember being seen at the Old St. Benedicts when I was about 4 or 5, and my Mom thought I had appendicitis - (I didn't).
Then, later on, one of my roommates did some of her Physical Therapist (if I remember correctly) training there.
I remember when the "New" David O. McKay Hospital was built - now called McKay-Dee Hospital, I think.

My youngest son was born at the U of U - and spent the majority of the first 3 months of his life at Primary Children's Medical Center, in the NICU wing.

Dawn

Um, guys, I believe that is what's commonly known as a 'fly-by'. It's a form of spam and is popping up in a lot of forums these days. There is a 'bot' that automatically goes through the new member steps, then posts the spam. Odds are, you will never see or hear from that user again, and more than likely the email got bounced back to you. If it get's too bad, you can tighten up the enrollment process and eliminate it.

KE

Thanks KE, I know that there is a way to tighten the enrollment process which requires the enrollment to be validated via an e-mail link. If I don't catch the spam myself, the folks here are quick to let me know about it. I then ban the poster and delete the topic.

i think it is fun to catch them. and rat them out. i just wish there was some way to get back at them. like bamboo under the fingernails or worse make them listen to Bett middler and barbra strisand sing. or worse yet, have them try and teach me to spell!!!!!!!

I agree, I am a load and performance tester by trade and I break web sites for a living. I love to perform 'load' tests against their servers when I can find them. However, these are also known as 'denial of service attacks' and are pretty illegal so I have really had to cut down on my retaliation attempts. It does give me some degree of satisfaction though :)

KE

Way to go Dutch.... I am a very aggressive anit-spammer and do not tolerate it... although it is getting worse as the days go by. Most of them are now either from another country or bouncing the messages form a server there.

It is amazing how fast you start getting them as soon as you open up a disposble email address. You would love mine, although it is not seen by those scumbags, as most of the time there will mass email using wildcard names.

Thansk for letting me vent a little. I hate the scumbags..... another reason I have my "name".....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Bill

Buzzard wrote: <i just wish there was some way to get back at them. like bamboo under the fingernails or worse make them listen to Bett middler and barbra strisand sing. or worse yet, have them try and teach me to spell!!!>

I have a list where we were having problems with 'fly-by-spammers' invariably they will set themselves for 'No Mail' -- well, my theory is...'they signed up for my recipe group -- and they posted to my group -- so...they _obviously_ WANT Recipes!!! -- and I pick a day (after posting a little warning to the group members) and I change my Spammers from 'No Mail' to where they will receive _EVERY_ post. I then do my best to send out 100 or so recipes. :twisted: They are then a position where they have to admit that _they_ signed up for the Recipe Exchange Group, so by default they should be expecting Recipe Posts to be sent to them!

Dawn

Yeah I hear yas - spam can just destroy a forum. When are these people going to relize nobody reads their junk anyways? I alwasy figure if they gotta spam ya their probaly not a legit outfit anyway! Although it's getting to where even old reputable companies are sending you more stuff than you can handle.
icon_sad.gif

I recieved one the other day by CONSUMER REPORTS of all poeple!!!!!!

Thinking about yanking my subsription.
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky