Im new to all this smoking and need some help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zcomanche

Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Norman, OK.
Hey guys this is my first post and love this site. So much helpfull info.

I read the entire 5 e-mail basic course and it sure helped with all the basics, Ive grilled spare ribs and a few briskets and they turned out great, thanks to this site. I got my digital thermometer and a Smoke Canyon Farmers Smoker (horizontal smoker). Im smoking with Pecan and love the flavor.

My question is my wife brought home a 13.50lb. Boston Butt Porh Shoulder Cov  (thats what the package says)??  I read all the stickies on smoking butt, and they range between 5-9lbs. What did she buy and how to prepare it? Can I cut it in half??

Big piece of meat, need some help. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. Double check the package and see if its not 2 butts packed tightly together in the same package

LOL, your right. Told you im a newbie, and now  I feel like a total DA!

Thanks for the fast reply.

Welcome ZC,

Sounds like you're doing pretty good already!

It does sound like there may be a pair in there.

Bear

LOL, your right. Told you im a newbie, and now  I feel like a total DA!

Thanks for the fast reply.
Many of us have made that mistake and posted the same type question so don't feel bad about it
biggrin.gif
  If you smoke them both at the same time it will not take 1.5 hours times 13 lbs it will be more like 1.5 hrs times the lbs of the largest piece not the total weight of both. Of course we go by the internal temperature of the meat and not the time but its nice to have an idea of how long its gonna take.

Here's a good link for a basic butt smoke

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/57139/basic-pulled-pork-smoke

Thanks Piney, Im going to follow that link to the T on the pork butt...Ive been doing the 3-2-1 on my spare ribs and they have turned out great.And have also done my briskets at the 190 degree internal and they were great also. Im relieved that the meat the wife brought home wasnt 13.5 lbs. I was thinking of how tough it was gonna be smoking (and drinking beer) for 20+ hours.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

And Bear, Im at be a faster typer but Im sure your alot better smoker....lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky