I'm Learnin'

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

migbait

Original poster
Feb 17, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
It may not be pretty as some, and there are a lot of good lookin' entree's out there, but you got to crawl before you can walk. I know what I want to achieve and I'll there. Here's my latest smoke, Did it wit charcoal this time.

Smoker: the 30 plus year old bbq. I’ve always wondered what it would do as a smoker.

Wood: 100% Hickory (Not overdone, but you know the meat’s been smoked)

Entrée’ 3+ lb beef tri-tip (Costco)

Marinade/Time: 22hours
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar,1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste
Cooking Style/Cook Time/Temp: Offset to fire, approximately 1:45 hours at max temp of 327 degrees at start reducing by natural attrition. (no additional coals added) Meat was pulled at 140 degrees and rested for 20 minutes. Medium rare with a light bark. Smoke ring evident but not deep.

End result: Awesome. Very tender, smoke not overpowering.

Wine Pairing: 2007 V. Sattui (Alexander Valley) Cabernet Franc.

697e6684_DCP_0795.jpg

8528eb50_DCP_0796.jpg

Ok, we got a member that selects wine with their Q.

All you Bud drinkers better listen to this new guy and bring this forum up a rung or two on the sophistication ladder.

No sliced shots? Looks good on the outside though.

Wine, yuck. Every wine I have tasted I didn't like. I will stick with Bud Light.

My thanks to all of you for your kind words. I give all the credit to my son who got me started. Your confidence in my efforts definitely keeps me going. I look forward to being able to contribute to a "newbie" in thew future.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky