I'm going full dark side... Bought a MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Well, I started out smoking a LONG time ago on a wood pit, did that for 25+ years and then I built myself a homemade electric smoker about 4 years ago.  It took a while to get used to, and after adding the Auber controller I was hooked, especially for sausage smoking.

I've really liked the set it and forget it part of that, so now I find myself as the owner of a Masterbuilt 40 with the side smokebox and a cart.  Never dreamed I'd have bought it, but for 200 bucks I couldn't pass it up.  The guy I'm buying from has only used it a few times and it looks brand new...  He's moving and can't have it at his apartment in KC.

I'll go pick it up this weekend and cook some ribs for full on Qview...

Oh Charlie....  poor you....  You fell into it BIG TIME !!!    Helluva deal...    Congrats on that move....  

Great Score Charlie!!
icon14.gif

A Generation #1 too!!
icon14.gif

You did Great !!

Bear

Oh Charlie....  poor you....  You fell into it BIG TIME !!!    Helluva deal...    Congrats on that move....  

Great Score Charlie!!
icon14.gif

A Generation #1 too!!
icon14.gif

You did Great !!

Bear
Yeah, I thought it was a good deal as well.  When he called me about it, he was wanting to know if I could post it on here in the for sale section.  When I heard the price, I just replied with "SOLD"!  Sorry folks...  

As I've said before, I have a few friends that use these and they kick out some great food, I couldn't let this one go by...

I'll be cooking in it on Sunday for sure.

Yeah, I thought it was a good deal as well.  When he called me about it, he was wanting to know if I could post it on here in the for sale section.  When I heard the price, I just replied with "SOLD"!  Sorry folks...  

As I've said before, I have a few friends that use these and they kick out some great food, I couldn't let this one go by...

I'll be cooking in it on Sunday for sure.
Great Deal !!

Don't forget---My "Step by Step Index" at the bottom of all my posts are all done in an MES.

Might be of some help to you.

Bear

Nice pickup,I would get one but still need to run a new electric line to the garage.

Nice pickup,I would get one but still need to run a new electric line to the garage.

You know, the Gen 1 MES 30 only has an 800 watt heating element, so it doesn't take much power to operate... You may be ok with the existing wiring in your garage.
BUT, if you do use it in your garage please make sure it well ventilated. It's is a smoker after all. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

You know, the Gen 1 MES 30 only has an 800 watt heating element, so it doesn't take much power to operate... You may be ok with the existing wiring in your garage.
BUT, if you do use it in your garage please make sure it well ventilated. It's is a smoker after all. [emoji]128513[/emoji]

No I need a whole new wire out to it,and I'm to lazy to dig a new trench. Maybe someday.

Come CB, come to the dark side, you're almost there.

We have candy, meat candy.   
biggrin.gif

Nice score man, can't wait to see the pictures.

I believe you will have fun.

Ed

CB,  You'll love it.  My two Big Chief smokers have retired since I got the MES.  The controller didn't work so I modified it to run off a Auber PID controller.  Soooo easy!  to use.

What's the smoke box?  I don't recall seeing that before.
It's a box that MES makes to fit into the chip tray hole that provides what they call "cold" smoke.  It can be used as the smoke source or as a cold smoker.  We tested a friends out over the winter and it raised the temp well over 80 degrees in his chamber, but when he separated it and used a piece of dryer vent it worked great.

They work off of pellets and only cost 65 bucks or so.  From the looks of the one we tested with, I'd bet it'll be a part that gets replaced every couple of years...  The cresote build up is BAD BAD BAD inside of the smoke box itself, but nice and clean coming into the chamber.  Time will tell.

CB,  You'll love it.  My two Big Chief smokers have retired since I got the MES.  The controller didn't work so I modified it to run off a Auber PID controller.  Soooo easy!  to use.
Hmm, I may pick your brain about doing the mod for the Auber controller.  That's what I use now for my homemade electric and I love it for sausage making.  I can program the ramp and then sit back and chill...

Hmm, I may pick your brain about doing the mod for the Auber controller.  That's what I use now for my homemade electric and I love it for sausage making.  I can program the ramp and then sit back and chill...
Add me to the list of folks that want to use an Auber.....    forward anything you think this old befuddled brain can cypher....

Add me to the list of folks that want to use an Auber.....    forward anything you think this old befuddled brain can cypher....
I did just mod my Gen 1 to use an Auber temp control. Link Here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/248796/mes-30-gen-1-auber-pid-igrill-temp

What I did first was pull the back off my smoker, cut and splice the heating element wires directly to the male plug of the MES smoker. Then, just plug the element into the back of the Auber. Thats it.

The Auber has 2 ports for plugs: 1 female for the element and 1 male for the controller. There is also a port for the temp controller (included in the controller purchase)

Here is a link to the model is installed (very easy)

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=495

Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky