• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Amen!

Ray, I really wanted to take your SQ36 off your hands.
Then the realization of wood supply dashed that idea.
Although I am surrounded by mesquite and one of the world's largest pecan groves is close by, all of that wood is on private, state, or federal land. I used to be able to get a little bit of free pecan wood but that changed over the past couple of years.
The Weber kettle is by far a good alternative to a stick burner.
Plus I can get bags of lump and briquettes for relatively cheap.

Around here if the tree fell naturally then the state will allow us to take what we want. Most landowners are also pretty good about letting people clear out a felled tree. That is unless they burn wood for heat.

Chris

Every little spotted Springer I've had worth it's weight loves to stick their head in the ash catcher for a treat. I could tell when they were in there the moment I went to pet their head. So darned cute.

When old skidmark was alive he wouldn't go near the ash pan on my kettle, but he wouldn't let the kettle out of his sight if he saw smoke coming from it.

Chris

Around here if the tree fell naturally then the state will allow us to take what we want. Most landowners are also pretty good about letting people clear out a felled tree. That is unless they burn wood for heat.

Chris
Where Stu and I live hardly anyone ever turns their heater on Chris, during winter a pair of sweats will fill the bill. RAY

Where Stu and I live hardly anyone ever turns their heater on Chris, during winter a pair of sweats will fill the bill. RAY

From October to the start of April is long-john season here. The heater usually starts running in late Sept./Oct. and is on full time from Nov.- Feb. Then it goes back to running occasionally. Spring/Summer and Fall are pretty reasonable. With some hit or miss days

Chris

We seem to go from one extreme to the other lately here in Long Island, cold to wicked hot, fall and spring don't exist.

Chris
The problem around here with private land is finding out who owns it in order to ask for permission.

A few years ago, one of the ranchers used to allow plinking/target practice on his land with the understanding that all trash, targets, and brass gets packed out when you're done.
He locked it all down after some idiot shooting a tannerite gender reveal target started one the largest wildfires in history down here on state land. The fire then spread to federal and private land so the Forest Service ended up fighting the blaze.
I don't blame the rancher one bit for closing his land because he maybe on the hook if a fire starts on his land.

Reactions: gmc2003 and TNJAKE
The problem around here with private land is finding out who owns it in order to ask for permission.

A few years ago, one of the ranchers used to allow plinking/target practice on his land with the understanding that all trash, targets, and brass gets packed out when you're done.
He locked it all down after some idiot shooting a tannerite gender reveal target started one the largest wildfires in history down here on state land. The fire then spread to federal and private land so the Forest Service ended up fighting the blaze.
I don't blame the rancher one bit for closing his land because he maybe on the hook if a fire starts on his land.
Get the "On X hunting" app. Emily uses it for real estate. Shows the property owners and boundaries. Outstanding app

Get the "On X hunting" app. Emily uses it for real estate. Shows the property owners and boundaries. Outstanding app
It gets great reviews!

Thank you!

7212642B-04D5-44CC-84AA-2A5FED176F09.jpeg

I’ve got several cookers right now. They probably are worth close to $10K new but I have around $5200 in them. Lang 84D deluxe with chargrill and a 270 KC cabinet. I didn’t count my smaller grills and griddles :) I’m 60 years old and have worked since I was 13. I worked my way from pushing a broom at the company to 34 years later being in commercial management. I’m fortunate to be in a position where the cost of these is very affordable for me. Especially so in the context of cooking is my number one hobby. I don’t have boats, rec vehicles etc. , house is paid off too. These are my big boy earned toys and even my wife is good with it lol. I assure you my family, friends and neighbors are all thrilled with my choice. Here’s the Lang and the KC is my avatar here. Oh and yep, sometimes I’ll just throw a couple butts in but usually with some sides too Also I’m rural and wood is very affordable once I built up good sources I’ll reiterate that I thankful to be fortunate enough to afford these things I grew up relatively poor and I’ve cooked many years on cookers and grills that were gimmes or really inexpensive. Lastly there’s a ton of money to be saved on the high end cookers in th used market if your patient and diligent
A279E4BF-6B48-4D86-84B9-71ED7F939F9A.png

Last edited:
I find it interesting that you're asking people to justify how and why they have top-shelf cookers, but being the helpful soul that I am, I'll chime in. First off is the "how". Like Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) I've worked all my life. Basically had job since I was 6 years old. Wife has been working since she was 12 so she too has worked all her life. We both come from humble roots and live well within our means. We could be driving a Mercedes or BMW but we don't. Tracy has a Toyota Highlander and my daily driver is a Dodge Journey. We have been very frugal over the years to put ourselves in a position now that we can do whatever we want financially. We owe nobody nothing and everything we own is paid for. That came from making sound financial decisions over the years. Now we get to enjoy what we've worked our entire lives for. Give it a shot and see what happens :emoji_wink: If we decide that we want to spend $4000 on a smoker, we just do it.

Here's an example of one that we got about 5 years ago after a 10 minute discussion. A custom made 54" T-Pit. This was just a tad over $3K.
093.jpg

After researching insulated vertical cabinet smokers a few months ago I decided to build one instead of having it built. This is one of the sacrifices you make along the way to be where we are now: do for yourself instead of paying somebody else to do it. Here is the one I built
IMG_4598.JPG

Here is a pic of the stable of cookers I currently have. First one on the left is a 42" Lynx Professional. Between the grill, masonry work, granite tops, bottom cabinet doors, electrical, and gas lines I have about $12K invested. This went in when we built the house. Next is the cabinet smoker shown above that I built. After that is an interesting cart that I fabricated with a homemade hybrid Santa Maria grill and a 22" Blackstone griddle on it. The one in the rear left is my Rec Tec RT 700 and the one on the far right is a Weber 22" Performer Deluxe.
013.jpg

Now to the "why". Because I've worked for it all my life and can do it and because I want to. From my perspective, no other justification is necessary.

Peace

Attachments

• 1660250408528.jpeg
    1660250408528.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 2
...house is paid off too. These are my big boy earned toys
Mine, too and YES, these are earned toys...
Now to the "why". Because I've worked for it all my life and can do it and because I want to.
Me, too. Not rich by any means, but we're OK, debt free, and can do some of what we want within reason...

I am frugal, but I drive a 2022 Lincoln Navigator. Worked hard, too.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We all have our priorities. For me, I'd rather drive a less expensive vehicle and buy a smoker if I want. Having been in the construction industry all my life, and still am. I just don't need a nice vehicle to destroy on construction jobs :emoji_wink: A total waste of $$. You've worked for it, you want it, therefore you deserve it.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We all have our priorities. For me, I'd rather drive a less expensive vehicle and buy a smoker if I want. Having been in the construction industry all my life, and still am. I just don't need a nice vehicle to destroy on construction jobs :emoji_wink: A total waste of $$. You've worked for it, you want it, therefore you deserve it.
Yep, agree 100%. Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky