• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If I had my way I'd have a top of the line offset. But, I have other priorities to take care of at the moment. Maybe one day I can get what I want. But for now I make do with what I got and as long as it turns out good food I'll continue to use it and upgrade as time allows. As long as I cont to hone my cooking skills and make decent food on what I have, When I get what I want, my skills will be on the level of the cooker.
Like others have said, I work hard to pay for what I have. And I went through the "biggest and best" phase a while back. Still paying a lot of it off. Now I have learned to live within my means and that I dont need the grandest stuff.
Jim

If I had my way I'd have a top of the line offset. But, I have other priorities to take care of at the moment. Maybe one day I can get what I want. But for now I make do with what I got and as long as it turns out good food I'll continue to use it and upgrade as time allows. As long as I cont to hone my cooking skills and make decent food on what I have, When I get what I want, my skills will be on the level of the cooker.
Like others have said, I work hard to pay for what I have. And I went through the "biggest and best" phase a while back. Still paying a lot of it off. Now I have learned to live within my means and that I dont need the grandest stuff.
Jim
Exactly Jim. I went through a phase when younger of buying well behind my means using the alright credit. Took a long time to recover from that and during that time I cooked with what I could afford and often it wasn’t very expensive. As time went by and I spent responsibly options opened up. I would NEVER consider financing an expensive smoker. If I can’t afford to buy it outright I don’t need it.

I find it interesting that you're asking people to justify how and why they have top-shelf cookers, but being the helpful soul that I am, I'll chime in. First off is the "how". Like Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) I've worked all my life. Basically had job since I was 6 years old. Wife has been working since she was 12 so she too has worked all her life. We both come from humble roots and live well within our means. We could be driving a Mercedes or BMW but we don't. Tracy has a Toyota Highlander and my daily driver is a Dodge Journey. We have been very frugal over the years to put ourselves in a position now that we can do whatever we want financially. We owe nobody nothing and everything we own is paid for. That came from making sound financial decisions over the years. Now we get to enjoy what we've worked our entire lives for. Give it a shot and see what happens :emoji_wink: If we decide that we want to spend $4000 on a smoker, we just do it.

Here's an example of one that we got about 5 years ago after a 10 minute discussion. A custom made 54" T-Pit. This was just a tad over $3K.
View attachment 640512

After researching insulated vertical cabinet smokers a few months ago I decided to build one instead of having it built. This is one of the sacrifices you make along the way to be where we are now: do for yourself instead of paying somebody else to do it. Here is the one I built
View attachment 640513

Here is a pic of the stable of cookers I currently have. First one on the left is a 42" Lynx Professional. Between the grill, masonry work, granite tops, bottom cabinet doors, electrical, and gas lines I have about $12K invested. This went in when we built the house. Next is the cabinet smoker shown above that I built. After that is an interesting cart that I fabricated with a homemade hybrid Santa Maria grill and a 22" Blackstone griddle on it. The one in the rear left is my Rec Tec RT 700 and the one on the far right is a Weber 22" Performer Deluxe.
View attachment 640516

Now to the "why". Because I've worked for it all my life and can do it and because I want to. From my perspective, no other justification is necessary.

Peace
Like you and jcam222 jcam222 wife and I always worked, she is a director at a health insurance provider for 30 years. I have always had my own business (good and bad years). When ever she gets a comp check no matter how big, it does not change a thing in our lives. We have paid or put away enough for both kids college and grad school. Have 2 houses paid for outright. We always buy our cars generally about 1 year old. Wife's benz was 58Kmsrp and we paid 34K at 1 yo with 11k miles. I always take a 3 year note on cars and drive our cars into the 100K miles and counting.

We are at the point that we could buy any smoker or anything we want...but I am cheap and am still hemming and hawing about dropping $400 on a used gravity feed...lol Damn I am going to leave the kids a bunch of money when I drop dead, maybe they will have fun with it.

Point is, getting to this point starts early in life, takes diligence and discipline.

Damn I am going to leave the kids a bunch of money when I drop dead, maybe they will have fun with it.

Point is, getting to this point starts early in life, takes diligence and discipline.

Hi Daddy Cliff. I know it's possible to have a nephew older then his uncle, but is it possible to have a son older then his father? Must be adopted.

Chris

Offset smokers are cool! But I honestly just don't think I'd want to invest in the time needed to keep it going. I might get a 26 weber kettle just cuz I want to! Worked all my life as well...heck was driving tractors at age 7...and life definitely hasn't been easy. I drive an 06 GMG diesel, just bought a new truck and paid cash for it...it's an 07 Chevy duramax and just broke in at 149,000 miles. But it has 80,000 less than my 06 and almost an exact twin! Wife says we have a his and hers now lol! So I would say alot of us have earned it!

Grandpa Cliff...how come you never invite me over or visit ? :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Offset smokers are cool! But I honestly just don't think I'd want to invest in the time needed to keep it going. I might get a 26 weber kettle just cuz I want to! Worked all my life as well...heck was driving tractors at age 7...and life definitely hasn't been easy. I drive an 06 GMG diesel, just bought a new truck and paid cash for it...it's an 07 Chevy duramax and just broke in at 149,000 miles. But it has 80,000 less than my 06 and almost an exact twin! Wife says we have a his and hers now lol! So I would say alot of us have earned it!

Grandpa Cliff...how come you never invite me over or visit ? :emoji_laughing:

Ryan
No sugar daddy here, just scrimped and saved for the last 40 years of our adult life. 3 vehicles well north of a 100K miles in the household now.

We are at the point that we could buy any smoker or anything we want...but I am cheap and am still hemming and hawing about dropping $400 on a used gravity feed...lol Damn I am going to leave the kids a bunch of money when I drop dead, maybe they will have fun with it.

And that attitude is why you can now buy any smoker you want. Well done.

No sugar daddy here, just scrimped and saved for the last 40 years of our adult life. 3 vehicles well north of a 100K miles in the household now.
Yes I know! Just figured it up, 6 vehicles, just over 1.1 million miles combined lol. The 92 Chevy does need brakes though. I'm thinking my vehicle warranties are up!

Ryan

I didn't count my 73 Mustang, don't remember what it has for miles, it's on the hoist and restoration not complete yet.

Ryan
yeah I have my 74 Triumph TR6 above my vette. neither one gets driven and I don't have a restoration as an excuse.
lift.JPG

But your calling Ryan not me

Nice cars clifish clifish … Ryan, awesome too!
BTW, my pit/heeler mix peed in the same spot today, yesterday, the day before, the day before, the day before, the day before, the day before, the day before…. He likes that spot!

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
Some of the offset smokers I see for sale and in folk's backyards are truly amazing! They are huge! But what I want to know is how anyone can afford to spend $2000, $3000, $4000 or more on these things? And given their size, is everyone using them for competitive barbecue? There is no way people are using these in their backyards to make a few briskets, ribs, or pork butt. Just curious.
That's kind of like asking a farmer how much land he owns.

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky