If you only had one book on BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd bet it's, 'Smoking Meats and Smokehouse Design' as it's most pertinent, and the only one in my library too.

I've several BBQ cookbooks and others too.

But if I had to have only one pertaining to BBQ, I would print the SMF Recipe Collection I linked earlier.

Nope don't have that one but will likely soon have it. :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Warren

• Haha
Reactions: chilerelleno
Hello,

I've found The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling to be quite good in that it explains the science behind various cooking methods and seasonings. The book contains a lot of good recipes as well.

I found a website, BookBaby, that will print the SMF cookbook, all 589 pages for $78. Seems fair to me.

Here's a Book that is all Step by Steps, All Work Great, and proven by Hundreds of Members to this Forum. AND ALL FREE:
Check Out Bear's Easy to Follow Step by Step Index Page.
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".
All Kinds To Choose From.

Bear

I have been disappointed by most BBQ books I have paged through. I agree with you on 10% being a high number of recipes to use out of one book.

Most of my books I get one or two good recipes out of and that is about it.

I have come to rely on the interwebs to supply me with knowledge. This forum provides a treasure trove of experience, skill, and knowledge.

Many members share their recipes only for the asking and I have taken full advantage of that.

This forum has provided me more information and advice than a stack of books.

Enjoy.....

JC :emoji_cat:
This a great forum. I’ve been smoking meat since I was 15 years old. Now 63 years young. I have learn many things since I found this site almost 2 years ago.

Reactions: JC in GB
Wow, I have shelves of cookbooks that have been gathering dust for years. I think I have one book on grillin' and smokin'. I now use the Internet, YouTube, and my imagination.

Most of the cookbooks were written by professionally trained chefs. Their styles, techniques, and desired flavor profiles are so different than mine. I'm a rustic or peasant cooker/smoker/griller. Give me an idea, let me check what I have on hand, and I'll throw something together for the grill/smoker/oven/stovetop with the seed from the idea. SMF is GREAT for planting seeds.

For me it would be this book for meat temps and loads of delicious sides, salads and deserts.
The running the pit comes easy to me these days so it wouldn't be about Q'ing at all and more about flavor profiling.
1602406854747.png

Here is the 2 books I have.

thumbnail.jpg

If you were on the forum back when you will know who recommended them to me and that was no other than CrankyBuzzard.

Warren

Like many of you I had too many unused cooking books. Thinned the herd to Jeff’s book, one by Steve Raichlen, one by James Beard, and a couple Emeril’s. But also like you, mostly This forum for smoking, and internet sites (Like ATK or certain chefs on Food Network, mostly Emeril, Alton Brown, or Michael Simon) for other dishes.

For me it would be this book for meat temps and loads of delicious sides, salads and deserts.
The running the pit comes easy to me these days so it wouldn't be about Q'ing at all and more about flavor profiling.
View attachment 466390
Reading an edition of that book right now for class. On the subject of BBQ books, I really enjoyed Franklins book, but it is more than just a recipe book.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky