"Ideal" type of collagen casings for Lancaster County sweet sticks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rohfan2112

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
West Babylon, NY
We're going to be making sweet sticks like the kind you'd get at any farmer's markets in Lancaster County, PA. I don't want to use natural casings because I want them to be authentic. I have LEM 21mm fresh collagen casings on hand but I'd rather use their smoked mahogany 21mm casings but I can't find them in stock anywhere. Is it worth waiting for the "smoked" ones? What does anybody use for this application?

The fresh casings are not meant to be hung in a smoker not strong enough. The smoked are suitable for smoking. Basically fresh for fresh sausage smoked for smoked.

Reactions: rohfan2112
Wow, I never had real lancaster county sticks but I'd have guessed they use naturals.
Nope. The sticks are uniform in shape and size and have no natural "curl" to them. Never had one with natural casings and I've been visiting Strasburg for over 40 years. I highly recommend them.

Reactions: DanMcG
Whaaat

Dont use fresh casings to hang in your smoker....? My you know what

Wow, I never had real lancaster county sticks but I'd have guessed they use naturals.

Sweet sticks are a fav sold to tourists at Green Dragon, Roots and other places in Lancaster county.
And yes natural sheep that are more than likely calibrated and sorted. I lived in Ephrata Lancaster County just down from the Dragon for 17 years.

Reactions: rohfan2112
I lived in Ephrata Lancaster County just down from the Dragon for 17 years.
We'll be staying at an Air BnB in the town of Narvon in Lancaster for the July 4th weekend. We're going to hit Williams Grove Speedway on the Friday night and Buck County Tractor Pull on the Saturday night. Of course, we'll hit Dienner's for food!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky