Moistening Collagen Casings...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DailyLunatic

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2023
Ban Ko Kaeo, Thailand
First, yeah, I know you just drop the collagen stick onto the stuffing tube that is MUCH smaller than the ID of the stick. However, I have a future project where I want to do Snack Sticks.

I can't go too small of a diameter because:
a. The machine I have would strain to push through too small a tube,
b. The smallest tube I have is 14mm,

On the other hand, I don't want to be munching on something the size of a hotdog. (too late)

As I said, the smallest tube I have is 14mm. I purchased some 16mm collagen casings thinking they would work, but alas, they are not even close to going on dry. However, they WILL if I moisten them ahead of time and treat them like I'd seen natural casings.

I've tried moistening just the lead, and then pulling the dry portion on, but it sticks like glue after a few cm. I would have to soak the whole stick. ...and even then, work fast, and keep it wet...

Is there any reason this will not work, other than, "you're not supposed to do it that way"?

-sterling

To your question, there are different kinds of collagen casings. Some are thicker than others. Some are made to handle smoking, some are not. In general, no you do not wet collagen casings to put them on the stuffer horn.

What size stuffer do you have? and what is the diameter of the plunger that fits in the hopper?

It's entry level, off brand, & Chinese made. Brand name is Fasai.

It's a Grinder with a stuffing tube, not a dedicated stuffer.

Not sure what is meant by 'size' on a grinder. 500W?
Plunger is 38mm.

If I can produce anything even half decent in the first dozen or so attempts I will be getting a dedicated stuffer. Prolly not the name brands you guys go on about on here, but much easier to deal with than this thing.

To your question, there are different kinds of collagen casings. Some are thicker than others. Some are made to handle smoking, some are not. In general, no you do not wet collagen casings to put them on the stuffer horn.
In general, yes. I was just wondering if there were any consequences other than the hassle.

Casing advertises as being suitable for smoking. If you can trust it. No mention of thickness.

I know, I know. Go to a reputable sausage site. Unfortunately, I have not been able to locate one local to me and imports are problematic. Trying to work with what I got...

-sterling

Last edited:
Man....that will be a lot of frustration trying to use a grinder to stuff snack sticks using a 14mm tube! I just asumed you were using a dedicated stuffer. I don't know anyone on SMF that has ever even attempted using a grinder to stuff snack sticks. I offer you the best of luck with that. You might be better off stuffing by hand using the stuffer horn and dowel the right diameter to push the meat paste into the casing. You might have to make individual sticks 6-7" long one at a time, but it will work.

Setting that aside, the meat will likely be overworked, the fat will likely smear, and the final product texture could suffer. This is one instance where a stuffer is almost a requirement.

Man....that will be a lot of frustration trying to use a grinder to stuff snack sticks using a 14mm tube! I just asumed you were using a dedicated stuffer. I don't know anyone on SMF that has ever even attempted using a grinder to stuff snack sticks. I offer you the best of luck with that. You might be better off stuffing by hand using the stuffer horn and dowel the right diameter to push the meat paste into the casing. You might have to make individual sticks 6-7" long one at a time, but it will work.

Setting that aside, the meat will likely be overworked, the fat will likely smear, and the final product texture could suffer. This is one instance where a stuffer is almost a requirement.
Thanks. I'll let the wife know that the Slim Jim clones will have to wait.

-sterling

Thanks. I'll let the wife know that the Slim Jim clones will have to wait.
I use a dedicated stuffer . LEM 5lb. It has some miles on it and struggles with small casings anymore .
So I started doing them with no casings . I actually like them better . So you could try that ,, maybe . If you do , go up in size on the tube , or they will be to small after cooking .
I agree with the advise above , but this might be an option .
20221201_070908.jpg
20221201_072116.jpg
20221201_115137.jpg

Jerky guns I have came with a pretty small tube for sticks. It also works 1000x easier than my stuffer for sticks. Simply physics...

Reactions: indaswamp
Can I ask you to remove the links in your post.
Reason being that I clicked them and a popup virus warning got caught on my Mac.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Reactions: DailyLunatic
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky