I totally botched up a perfectly good meal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sven Svensson

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 5, 2021
Sonoma County, California
I totally botched this one. It may look nice but it was almost a complete disaster. I got a late start. My wife and I are not sports people so we went on a hike yesterday late afternoon in the local mountains. By the time we got back I had an hour of light left. That was a factor as I need to figure out some better lighting but I still messed it all up.

Let’s start with the Potatoes Fondant. I followed Chef Tom’s recipe at ATBBQ and, I would have to say, it worked perfectly. I even cooked it on my Yoder, just like Tom. However, on my hike I picked a bay leaf off a small tree as they grow everywhere around here. I love bay leaves. So along with all the herbs I added one skinny bay leaf. It turned out to be absolutely overpowering. All we could taste was salt and bay leaf. Like I said, it looked beautiful but I ruined it with that great idea.

I aged a ribeye roast for 3 weeks. I trimmed it up Saturday and cut it into two thick steaks and seasoned it with Rob’s beef rub, a local favorite. It spent the night in the fridge. I fired up my PK ready for a reverse sear. I used Jealous Devil chunk charcoal. Just to put a little smoke on it I threw in one small chunk of pecan. It was my first time cooking with pecan. I first put 6 chicken breasts on for lunch salads this week. The pecan ended up overpowering the chicken. So I put the steaks on after the chicken on the cool side of the PK. By then most of the pecan was gone. I like mine rare and Mrs. Sven loves it medium rare. Easy to do. Well, it got away from me and they both ended up medium medium rare, if that’s a thing. They actually tasted great because there was so much marbling and the dry aging really helped. Mrs. Sven absolutely loved it. I didn’t think it was so bad, either. The smoke level was just fine, too.

Then, I got out my metal basket and lightly spritzed some broccolini with grapeseed oil and placed it directly on my now, less intense coals in the style of Lennox Hastie. I’ve had this before and it’s incredible but over a wood coal fire which I thought mine technically was. It ended up tasting like bituminous. Maybe there was still some residual smoke left from the pecan? I don’t know. They were not edible. It was embarrassing. Into the compost bin it went Along with the last two potatoes fondant.

A81E6CE1-D225-4B9F-AAAC-709E48EEFF59.jpeg
The two aged ribeyes and the herbs and butter for the potatoes. I know there are two bay leaves here but I decided to use only one. Had I used both it would have been truly horrid.

2989B798-2298-4204-91D4-D474C9AA7500.jpeg
The potatoes cooked perfectly. Too bad they tasted like old grandma medicine.

7DBA3119-BBC9-4AE8-8638-2E453B2DAD6B.jpeg
The chicken breast that were overpowered by the pecan. I thought pecan would be a mellow wood. I guess not.

910EB791-FE49-4E09-8462-056C79D7D4D4.jpeg
The reverse sear along with a lemon from our tree.

65E55670-2D06-4C6F-B7B9-3BF16251EEFD.jpeg
And here’s the bituminous-flavored broccolini.

The PK300 did an excellent job at holding the temp. It Performed perfectly. It held the temp almost better than the Yoder.
I welcome any comments, critiques, and experienced advice. Compliments are not necessary as this meal was 2/3rds awful.

Attachments

• 88326AEA-CE0E-461E-9772-A6AE3CE0E1C3.jpeg
    88326AEA-CE0E-461E-9772-A6AE3CE0E1C3.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 21
  • F12B41E4-DD2A-42D0-9FCC-0EA70C6AC3E0.jpeg
    F12B41E4-DD2A-42D0-9FCC-0EA70C6AC3E0.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 63421C20-FA01-4A0F-863A-C453E0B948B0.jpeg
    63421C20-FA01-4A0F-863A-C453E0B948B0.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 29CB95A2-E187-42F7-960C-76F333E7B25E.jpeg
    29CB95A2-E187-42F7-960C-76F333E7B25E.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 14
Delicious idea, looks good, I'm sorry it was not satisfactory. I also thought pecan was good with chicken. Jeff even has a wing recipe using it.

Anyway, hope you get some points for an awesome idea, it does look good.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
Sven, like you said , all looks great. But you know as you were on the service end of the forks. It is a shame with all the work.
I do not use Pecan as I cannot get it.So I can't help with that.
But I am sure some one will step in with answers.

As for the bay leaf, could it be because too fresh and too much oil in it. Any I have used in my soups etc, have been dry . So that is all I can think of the over powering of the Bay.

This just means , you will have to try again. That does not help with this meal.
Good for you to say how it really was, helps all learn from this. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David

Wow Sven, all I can say is I’m glad the meat came out tasting good! I’m sorry that you had a rough go! It did look beautiful! I wish I could give some tips to help, but it sounds like you already have it dissected pretty well! I’ve never had much luck with pecan or cherry. I ruined a Christmas diner with smoldering cherry wood once. Creosote, dirty burn, haven’t used it since!
Thank you for being humble and posting something that may save me in the future!

If you're cooking, you're gonna have flops. It happens to all of us, but at least the steaks were good. Not sure why the pecan was overpowering as it's on the mild side as far as smoking woods go.

Just observation here.
The wild bay leaf was risky,
Pecan is between applewood and hickory flavor wise. All smoke requires a clean efficient burn to cook over And taste right. Too Smokey, was most likely the effect of an unclean burn.
Tender vegetables are best cooked on the grill hot and fast or cook in a pan or on a griddle on the grill so the smoke isn’t directly through them just around them.

Otherwise that was a ton of work overall put into that meal. Nice looking meal over all. Everything we add to food effects flavor. Management is key to the salt shaker as well as the smoke.
I sure appreciate the level of effort. That meal, looking at it, is off the chart good.

I totally botched this one. It may look nice but it was almost a complete disaster. I got a late start. My wife and I are not sports people so we went on a hike yesterday late afternoon in the local mountains. By the time we got back I had an hour of light left. That was a factor as I need to figure out some better lighting but I still messed it all up.

Let’s start with the Potatoes Fondant. I followed Chef Tom’s recipe at ATBBQ and, I would have to say, it worked perfectly. I even cooked it on my Yoder, just like Tom. However, on my hike I picked a bay leaf off a small tree as they grow everywhere around here. I love bay leaves. So along with all the herbs I added one skinny bay leaf. It turned out to be absolutely overpowering. All we could taste was salt and bay leaf. Like I said, it looked beautiful but I ruined it with that great idea.

I aged a ribeye roast for 3 weeks. I trimmed it up Saturday and cut it into two thick steaks and seasoned it with Rob’s beef rub, a local favorite. It spent the night in the fridge. I fired up my PK ready for a reverse sear. I used Jealous Devil chunk charcoal. Just to put a little smoke on it I threw in one small chunk of pecan. It was my first time cooking with pecan. I first put 6 chicken breasts on for lunch salads this week. The pecan ended up overpowering the chicken. So I put the steaks on after the chicken on the cool side of the PK. By then most of the pecan was gone. I like mine rare and Mrs. Sven loves it medium rare. Easy to do. Well, it got away from me and they both ended up medium medium rare, if that’s a thing. They actually tasted great because there was so much marbling and the dry aging really helped. Mrs. Sven absolutely loved it. I didn’t think it was so bad, either. The smoke level was just fine, too.

Then, I got out my metal basket and lightly spritzed some broccolini with grapeseed oil and placed it directly on my now, less intense coals in the style of Lennox Hastie. I’ve had this before and it’s incredible but over a wood coal fire which I thought mine technically was. It ended up tasting like bituminous. Maybe there was still some residual smoke left from the pecan? I don’t know. They were not edible. It was embarrassing. Into the compost bin it went Along with the last two potatoes fondant.

View attachment 525868
The two aged ribeyes and the herbs and butter for the potatoes. I know there are two bay leaves here but I decided to use only one. Had I used both it would have been truly horrid.

View attachment 525867
The potatoes cooked perfectly. Too bad they tasted like old grandma medicine.

View attachment 525869
The chicken breast that were overpowered by the pecan. I thought pecan would be a mellow wood. I guess not.

View attachment 525870
The reverse sear along with a lemon from our tree.

View attachment 525871
And here’s the bituminous-flavored broccolini.

The PK300 did an excellent job at holding the temp. It Performed perfectly. It held the temp almost better than the Yoder.
I welcome any comments, critiques, and experienced advice. Compliments are not necessary as this meal was 2/3rds awful.
Look's good from here, as far as your lighting issues go buy one of these they are great.
I leave one hanging next to my smokers and grill because my lighting sucks as well, they work frick'in awesome. They are much better than the beam style headlamps, they have a really wide light pattern instead of a spot like beam of light. I have about 6 of them I keep them in my hunting pack, in the truck, boat, garage next to my bed and one on my gun safe, I love them they hold a charge forever.

Check them out.
Dan

Always an adventure :) but glad the steaks were good. I too am surprised about the pecan being too overpowering!

Its a great looking meal. Sorry the taste wasnt to expectations. We all have those cooks that go south. At least those beautiful steaks didnt end up as dog food. Ive had some that went that direction.
Jim

Yup, sounds a bit to familiar. Bet most have had at least one meal not go as planned, same for letting the steaks get away from ya. It just doesn't take much to distract one in the middle of dinner prep. I'm with SmokinEdge SmokinEdge re: too smokey, vs getting it dialed in for TBS. Bottom line, sh.. happens. Make good notes and refer back to them before trying again. :emoji_wink:

Wow Sven, I'm heartbroken that it didn't come out well, especially after all that work. I have to admit though, you could have lied, said it was fantastic, and I would have believed it. The meal looks really good. I learned the hard way about grilling or smoking broccoli. Like yours, it was inedible. Some lessons learned the hard way are the best lessons we could ever get though. Keep your chin up and keep turning out amazing food....please :emoji_wink:

Robert

Sven, that's a shame that the cook didn't turn out the way you wanted. The pics look great.
As for the pecan, a little goes a long way, especially with poultry. I usually end up splitting the large chunks into quarters and then use only two of those pieces for poultry.

Just observation here.
The wild bay leaf was risky,
Pecan is between applewood and hickory flavor wise. All smoke requires a clean efficient burn to cook over And taste right. Too Smokey, was most likely the effect of an unclean burn.
Tender vegetables are best cooked on the grill hot and fast or cook in a pan or on a griddle on the grill so the smoke isn’t directly through them just around them.

Otherwise that was a ton of work overall put into that meal. Nice looking meal over all. Everything we add to food effects flavor. Management is key to the salt shaker as well as the smoke.
I sure appreciate the level of effort. That meal, looking at it, is off the chart good.
Last second I knew the fresh leaf was risky so I only used one. I should have used 1/3 or less. But next time I’m not using it at all. I was really hungry for those potatoes, too. Next time, I guess.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Wow Sven, I'm heartbroken that it didn't come out well, especially after all that work. I have to admit though, you could have lied, said it was fantastic, and I would have believed it. The meal looks really good. I learned the hard way about grilling or smoking broccoli. Like yours, it was inedible. Some lessons learned the hard way are the best lessons we could ever get though. Keep your chin up and keep turning out amazing food....please :emoji_wink:

Robert
Lying on the internet to make yourself look better to complete strangers is a rather dysfunctional way to boost your ego, so thanks. That’s why they invented Facebook/Instagram. Haha. Mistakes are how we learn the best and mistakes like this should be encouraged, not penalized. Life without risks is boring.

Reactions: Nefarious and DougE
Lying on the internet to make yourself look better to complete strangers is a rather dysfunctional way to boost your ego, so thanks. That’s why they invented Facebook/Instagram. Haha. Mistakes are how we learn the best and mistakes like this should be encouraged, not penalized. Life without risks is boring.
You get points in my book, not many will post mistakes,like they don't happen. It happens to everyone, I wish the big guys here posted one every once in a while.

Sven, that's a shame that the cook didn't turn out the way you wanted. The pics look great.
As for the pecan, a little goes a long way, especially with poultry. I usually end up splitting the large chunks into quarters and then use only two of those pieces for poultry.
I thought the chunk was small enough but on chicken breast I guess not. I’ll follow your advice and make it considerably smaller and work my way up, eventually. Thanks for the good advice.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky