I Started My Small Smoke House

Discussion in 'Smoke Houses' started by daggerdoggie, Aug 13, 2011.

1. daggerdoggie

daggerdoggie Smoke Blower

I wanted a better place to do cold smoking other than my Brinkmann Offset, so after reading several threads and getting ideas from other people, I came up my own.  The interior dimensions are 2' x 4' to mach the aluminum sheet I had.

It's 3/4 plywood lined with aluminum sheet.  While it will be just for cold smoking, I thought the aluminum will be easier to clean.  I will need to come up with an electric heat source for the winter months, but for now I will use the Smoke Daddy or the A-Maze-N-Smoker.

It will all be insulated and when done, covered with vertical cedar siding...I have some left over from my house.

Heres where I got today:

Gluing the aluminum sheet onto the plywood:

[​IMG]

Pieces all cut:

[​IMG]

Aluminum Sheet:

[​IMG]

Sideways view of gluing down the bottom which I forgot to do before:

[​IMG]

Not sure how to rotate...sorry!  Interior lined:

[​IMG]

Enough for today:

[​IMG]

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks great so far!

3. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great workmanship!

4. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great Start!

Turn the pics....My neck hurts!

TJ

5. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looks great so far. [​IMG]

6. daggerdoggie

I got a little farther today, but not as far as I would have liked...to be done!

Insulated and finished three sides...all but the door and to construct the roof:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished with what I had...tongue & groove roofers, some ship lap, and saving the cedar for the door.

[​IMG]

Inset door opening:

[​IMG]

Door...just sitting there.  No hinges yet.

[​IMG]

Smoke stack in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still need to complete the door and finish off the front, build a roof (looking for things I have so I don't have to buy stuff) and I still have to make and install the smoking racks.  I still need to find a heat source for cold weather. I don't think I will need much. It's only 2' x 4' inside and pretty well sealed and insulated. I think I am going to start with a small hot plate. I don't plan on using it above 150.

Thanks for entertaining my renewed obsession.

7. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Looking forward to some smoke. [​IMG]

8. Nice Handywork. Looks great I'm jealous.

9. kielbasa kid

kielbasa kid Smoke Blower

I used to use a yard sale electric frying pan. Check out the thrift stores like Aunt Sally (Salvation Army) depending upon where "upstate NY" you are. It can double as a water pan. I square cut a slot in my box and controlled from the outside.

Rich   a.k.a. KK

10. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good Daggerdoggie. I like the lining too. [​IMG]

11. shtrdave

shtrdave Smoking Fanatic

That looks fantastic, I can appreciate the craftsmanship as I don't do so well with the woodworking thing, can't wait to see it in action.

12. daggerdoggie

Thanks for the comments and the ideas. I need to get this done since my wife is asking, "Where are the end tables you were going to make me?"  "It's all about motivation, Honey!"

13. kielbasa kid

kielbasa kid Smoke Blower

Suggestion: Build another one and use them as end tables. Locals "upstate" here, sometimes have an old couch on the porch with a washer and a dryer on either side like end tables.[​IMG]

14. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Very nice and and a clean  job . you must put a sign  ' master  at work '

15. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great Looking Smoker

Todd

16. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

It is a nice one....

17. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good!

18. daggerdoggie

I got a little farther today.  Unfortunately, work gets in the the way sometimes.

Got the door installed:

[​IMG]

Roof roughed out:

[​IMG]

Still, some more to do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. danmcg

danmcg Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Very nice build!

20. daggerdoggie

With the exception of some finishing touches and a coat of stain, I am done.  I have it fired up right now for a "Break in Smoke."

[​IMG]

Four rows of dowel racks and two lower racks.  Bottom for a grease catcher/water pan.  I still need to find some grates to fit, or make them.  For now I can put grills on the dowels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smokin' Yes, I know the metal roofing should go vertically rather than horizontally, but it was scrap and I had no peak cover, so I improvised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attic Storage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]