• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I smoked a fatty today

bigmikey14

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 2, 2016
So I started with 3 lbs of 50/50 ground pork and ground beef. Placed 1.5 lbs in 2 gallon zip locs. Hit them with a rolling pin and closed the bags once all the air was out. Placed them into the fridge to stay cold.

Then I halved some serranos, and red, yellow, and orange sweet peppers and roasted them under the broiler, peeled the skins best I could and chilled

While the peppers were roasting, I sautéed some mushrooms in half a stick of butter then chilled in fridge.

Next up was the stove top cornbread stuffing. Forgot to take a pic but made per directions and chilled.

Next i covered the table in saran wrap, which I'll make the bacon weave on and use the saran wrap to help roll it up when the time comes

Now that everything has chilled, time to start the construction. First was the bacon weave

Then I cut the zip locs open and connect the 2 pieces to make one long piece of meat. Leave the ziplocs underneath to help when it's time to roll.

First layer was 15 pieces of thin sliced Swiss cheese

Then the cornbread stuffing

Then the pepper/mushroom mixture

Then the most important part, getting a nice tight roll, after rolling I pinch the ends shut

Then used the saran wrap to roll the bacon on and wrap up tight and into fridge

Then I fired up the yoder ys480 to 220, It was a balmy 10° outside with windchill in the negatives

Off to work I go, monitoring with tappecue

Once it got to 150, I headed home from work. Was at 155 when I got home

Slathered it with a little sauce, then under the broiler til I liked the color

Rested for 20 minutes. Then sliced it up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rca dog

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 10, 2016
That's a beauty !  I like the mix of ingredients, and the cornbread sounds like a great idea.  I will try that on my next one.  Point from me !

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That is one of the best looking fatties I have ever seen!

Not only is it a monster, but I really like the ingredient mix!

I hope you make the carousel with this guy, it sure deserves it!

Point!

Al

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Awesome Job, Mikey!! 
----

Looks like a Fantastic Fatty!! 

Bear

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 25, 2014
That looks great I have never made one of them Points 

Richie

chinesebookie

Joined Jan 4, 2017
I've never seen this before. This looks fantastic. When I saw the title, I thought of something else, for the first time in 40 years...LOL.

David

disco

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 31, 2012
Great ingredients for a fatty and I love the detailed thread!

Point

Disco

bena

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 4, 2016
Oh that is a work of art, great thread, looks awesome!  congrats I am sure it was delicious.

mr parx

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 2, 2014
I can't believe that thing stayed together!  Fattie-saurus!  Looks great.  How was it?  I can't imagine.  

I haven't made a fatty in more than a year.  I'm inspired!

--parx

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
Wow!  Great job.  Great ingredients.  I love the graphs (I do the same for all of my smokes as well).  Points!

smokey jay

Joined Jan 11, 2017
Wow!!!! Good job! New to the game. Didn't even know you could smoke ground meat. Great inspiration ! Thanks

sauced

Master of the Pit
Joined Aug 9, 2015
GREAT looking fatty!!! Never even thought of combining the meat to make a giant fatty!

Also, love the filling you added. Any leftovers????

Points!!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.