I really REALLY hope I like this kabanosy because...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think I needed to add a bit more water

Don't know if you did or not... But next time leave the mince sit out in the counter for an hour or two (assuming they have cure #1 in them) and come up to room temp... This makes it a lot easier to stuff with the smaller tube... Mince is VERY stiff when cold and therefore making it much harder to stuff

You know what they say...the best laid plans of mice and men-blah-blah-blah.

BIL/nephew came over today and replaced the front lower ball joint in my truck (YEA! I'm mobile again!) and with them came my ex-BIL who I haven't seen in a long time, soooo...

Anyway, didn't get to HD for what I needed for my hangers, so they're in Big Chief on grill mats and I just turned them and rotated the racks...using my 6" tube w/apple dust and getting good color! I have the unit plugged in and lava rock in the chip pan...temp is holding steady at 130 - 135F.

Gonna finish them in the oven per Marianski's instructions. I was GOING to SV them, but the links are too long for my SV vessel, so the oven it is.

I initially set up in my propane at 130F (the absolute lowest I can get on it), but the wind picked up and snuffed it out even with a windbreak around the bottom of the smoker.

I'm about ***THIS*** close to ordering the MES30 (20071117) from Amazon...somebody talk me down QUICK or it'll be here Friday!!!

Gonna finish them in the oven per Marianski's instructions. I was GOING to SV them, but the links are too long for my SV vessel, so the oven it is.
Yea, I been there on that last round of kielbasa. I was figuring on using my big cooler that I rest meat in for the job, but the clamp on the SV cooker isn't close to opening wide enough to clip on the side. I'm sure I could have rigged something up, but I just finished on the pellet grill.

I made long links like you buy in the store on purpose figuring I'd finish them SV in the cooler, but it didn't quite work out.

Last edited:
Will the oven get low enough temps ?

The bad thing about the MES is the temp swings... Without a PID controller the temps swing up to 30 degrees one way or the other every time the heat element kicks on/off ... If you can find a used one for cheap and thehn fit it with a PID controller you'd be all set ...

You know what they say...the best laid plans of mice and men-blah-blah-blah.

BIL/nephew came over today and replaced the front lower ball joint in my truck (YEA! I'm mobile again!) and with them came my ex-BIL who I haven't seen in a long time, soooo...

Anyway, didn't get to HD for what I needed for my hangers, so they're in Big Chief on grill mats and I just turned them and rotated the racks...using my 6" tube w/apple dust and getting good color! I have the unit plugged in and lava rock in the chip pan...temp is holding steady at 130 - 135F.

I initially set up in my propane at 130F (the absolute lowest I can get on it), but the wind picked up and snuffed it out even with a windbreak around the bottom of the smoker.

I'm about ***THIS*** close to ordering the MES30 (20071117) from Amazon...somebody talk me down QUICK or it'll be here Friday!!!
Not trying to spend your money, but consider the mes40 size. More room is very nice to have sometimes.

I'd gladly help you spend your money! But will agree if you could find a cheap mes 40 to have added space would be the way to go...problem here is everyone thinks they need new price for a used unit.

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
They're in the oven...IT is now 143.

I can say THIS for certain...if they taste as good as they smell...boy-oh-boy! :emoji_yum:

Reactions: DougE
Sherry
Been looking at my Big Chief smoker for new ideas to justify getting a new heating element.
Thinking new bottom and top vents with dampers and something to control the heat.
No, a Chief is nowhere near the capacity of the MB or similar cabinet smokers.
I rarely make anything over a 5# batch and it will fit in the Chief.

Not trying to spend your money, but consider the mes40 size. More room is very nice to have sometimes.

I'd gladly help you spend your money! But will agree if you could find a cheap mes 40 to have added space would be the way to go...problem here is everyone thinks they need new price for a used unit.

Ryan

I would, but it appears they're out of stock at Amazon and anyone local to me is quite a bit higher in price.

Sherry
Been looking at my Big Chief smoker for new ideas to justify getting a new heating element.
Thinking new bottom and top vents with dampers and something to control the heat.
No, a Chief is nowhere near the capacity of the MB or similar cabinet smokers.
I rarely make anything over a 5# batch and it will fit in the Chief.

I tried to find an element in the 1000W (or so) range, but I can't find one that'll fit in it. I "thought" I'd found one on Amazon, but the depth as shown/stated in the item description was wrong (it was 1/2" bigger than the cabinet depth)...returned it.

I would, but it appears they're out of stock at Amazon and anyone local to me is quite a bit higher in price.
See Amazon warehouse has a mes40 for about the same price as a new mes30. Just says the box shows damage. Maybe worth a shot as you can always return it on their cost if the unit itself is damaged to bad to use or keep. Or call and complain if it's usable but damaged some and they will give you a pretty good discount (usually).

I tried to find an element in the 1000W (or so) range, but I can't find one that'll fit in it. I "thought" I'd found one on Amazon, but the depth as shown/stated in the item description was wrong (it was 1/2" bigger than the cabinet depth)...returned it.°
In the summer with cardboard (wind blocking insulation), I didn't have trouble keeping my Chief up to 180°.
Move the plug in from the back to a side?

They're done...and delicious even before resting them in the fridge.

I ran a doubled-up piece of butcher's twine over my sink to hang them on after removing them from the oven and giving them a cold water bath...so what now?

I'm assuming I need to let them hang there until the casings are thoroughly dry. Can I cut them to length before I wrap them in butcher's paper and put in the fridge to dry further?

I like them...a lot. I guess I now officially have a good excuse to pop for sheep casings (don't care for the collagen as it's tough, but I have had the casings in my fridge for a long time so that could be the problem I guess).

Pics shortly!

Last edited:
kabs.jpg

They didn't get as dark as I thought they would, but they all hit 154 - 160 IT.

They look delicious. A blend of woods including cherry will give you that really nice color. I typically run either 50/50 cherry/pecan, or 50/50 cherry/hickory.

1672462672734.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky