I ordered a new lang 48 patio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

timmyt509

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2010
Nebraska
So I am very excited to move up to the next level form a Bar B Chef Offset to a lang 48 patio. Just wondering if anybody has any good tips for me? Thanks.

Last edited:
The only tip i can give you is , START STOCKING UP ON MEAT NOW!!!

enjoy the lang.

Dang congrats. Thats a nice upgrade. My biggest advise is to stock up the freezer for when it gets here = D

How awesome is that! Congrats on your new smoker, I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on it, I hope to get one within the next year. Good luck!

Congrats they are great smokers

Nice!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  I was browsing their website yesterday although I really have no business doing that.
icon_rolleyes.gif

No advice here, I hardly know what I'm doing, except ENJOY!

Thanks everybody and I will stock the freezer up. I will also post some pics of my first smoke, I haven't decided what to smoke yet though lol.

Great smoker.  I have the mobile.  Feel free to ask anything.  Lots of Lang owners here.

I've been eyeballing them (the 48 patio), their website could use a few more pics. Is there a damper between the fire box and the smoke chamber or just the one on the fire box?

Can you just load it up (firebox) and control the temps with the damper on the fire box? This Char Griller I have seems to have a bit of a sense of humor.
biggrin.gif

...............Chargriller <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

Thanks.

Matt

I've been eyeballing them (the 48 patio), their website could use a few more pics. Is there a damper between the fire box and the smoke chamber or just the one on the fire box?

Can you just load it up (firebox) and control the temps with the damper on the fire box? This Char Griller I have seems to have a bit of a sense of humor.
biggrin.gif

...............Chargriller <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

Thanks.

Matt
The stock model does not have a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber, but Mr. Lang can put one in for you.  Mine gave a rock steady 250* but I wanted to cook at 225*.  The help I got from this site was spot on: 

1.  Use smaller wood splits (roughly soda can diameter).  You will have to add a log a bit more often but it helps a bunch.

2.  If getting a mobile model you can raise and lower the pitch to help with temps.

Personally, I only use the intake side to control.  By playing with it, you will find what works best.

No matter what, they are very easy to cook on.  My previouse unit (OK Joe w/ 1/4" tuning plates) was a breeze, but the Lang is quickly outpacing it.

The stock model does not have a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber, but Mr. Lang can put one in for you.  Mine gave a rock steady 250* but I wanted to cook at 225*.  The help I got from this site was spot on: 

1.  Use smaller wood splits (roughly soda can diameter).  You will have to add a log a bit more often but it helps a bunch.

2.  If getting a mobile model you can raise and lower the pitch to help with temps.

Personally, I only use the intake side to control.  By playing with it, you will find what works best.

No matter what, they are very easy to cook on.  My previouse unit (OK Joe w/ 1/4" tuning plates) was a breeze, but the Lang is quickly outpacing it.

Thanks Jeff.

icon_cool.gif

Congrats on the new smoker. May the Q-view with you and us too.

Congradulations! I have been looking at the same one, hopefully someday. What did shipping run you? That thing is 750lbs on the pallet!

You're gonna love it! I got a Lang 36 last month, have only been able to use it 2x but it really did take my ribs and butt to the next level!  Enjoy!

No damper between fire box and chamber.  2 dampers on fire box and one on my stack.  Open everything all the way up to start and about 200 F  close the firebox on one side and leave other open about an inch.  Once stable say 45-mins.  adjust the one firebox damper if needed and wait 15 mins before changing again.  I go through about 3 spits an hour once coal bed good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky