I ordered a new lang 48 patio

Discussion in 'SMF News' started by timmyt509, Oct 29, 2010.

1. timmyt509

timmyt509 Fire Starter

So I am very excited to move up to the next level form a Bar B Chef Offset to a lang 48 patio. Just wondering if anybody has any good tips for me? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

The only tip i can give you is , START STOCKING UP ON MEAT NOW!!!

enjoy the lang.

3. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang congrats. Thats a nice upgrade. My biggest advise is to stock up the freezer for when it gets here = D

4. squirrel

squirrel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

How awesome is that! Congrats on your new smoker, I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on it, I hope to get one within the next year. Good luck!

5. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Congrats they are great smokers

6. Nice! [​IMG]   I was browsing their website yesterday although I really have no business doing that. [​IMG]

No advice here, I hardly know what I'm doing, except ENJOY!

7. old poi dog

old poi dog Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Don't forget the Q-views of the first Smoke on that puppy!

8. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Congratulations on the new smoker...

9. rdknb

rdknb Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

congrats on the new smoker, I agree with those that say stock up the freezer [​IMG]

10. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great smoker.  I have the mobile.  Feel free to ask anything.  Lots of Lang owners here.

11. timmyt509

timmyt509 Fire Starter

Thanks everybody and I will stock the freezer up. I will also post some pics of my first smoke, I haven't decided what to smoke yet though lol.

12. I've been eyeballing them (the 48 patio), their website could use a few more pics. Is there a damper between the fire box and the smoke chamber or just the one on the fire box?

Can you just load it up (firebox) and control the temps with the damper on the fire box? This Char Griller I have seems to have a bit of a sense of humor. [​IMG]

...............Chargriller <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<[​IMG]

Thanks.

Matt

13. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

when I grow up I hope to get a Lang too. Congrats

14. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

Congrats!

Can't wait to see some Qview!  

15. jjmrascal

jjmrascal Smoke Blower

The stock model does not have a damper between the firebox and cooking chamber, but Mr. Lang can put one in for you.  Mine gave a rock steady 250* but I wanted to cook at 225*.  The help I got from this site was spot on: 

1.  Use smaller wood splits (roughly soda can diameter).  You will have to add a log a bit more often but it helps a bunch.

2.  If getting a mobile model you can raise and lower the pitch to help with temps.

Personally, I only use the intake side to control.  By playing with it, you will find what works best.

No matter what, they are very easy to cook on.  My previouse unit (OK Joe w/ 1/4" tuning plates) was a breeze, but the Lang is quickly outpacing it.

16.  Thanks Jeff.

17. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Congrats on the new smoker. May the Q-view with you and us too.

18. ebman74

ebman74 Newbie

Congradulations! I have been looking at the same one, hopefully someday. What did shipping run you? That thing is 750lbs on the pallet!

19. hacksaw

hacksaw Smoke Blower

You're gonna love it! I got a Lang 36 last month, have only been able to use it 2x but it really did take my ribs and butt to the next level!  Enjoy!

20. shooterrick

shooterrick Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

No damper between fire box and chamber.  2 dampers on fire box and one on my stack.  Open everything all the way up to start and about 200 F  close the firebox on one side and leave other open about an inch.  Once stable say 45-mins.  adjust the one firebox damper if needed and wait 15 mins before changing again.  I go through about 3 spits an hour once coal bed good.