I Need to Learn about Canning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yep it makes a quick and easy meal! I make them up into single serving sizes and take them to work. I snip a corner off the bag and reheat in the micro at work. We also take them camping. Serves as a dual purpose, edible ice for the cooler!

Although the smoker wasn't involved, I spent an afternoon in the kitchen today. I boiled 2 whole chickens, added a couple of pounds of pulled pork smoked a few weeks ago, and made between 4 and 5 gallons of Georgia Style Brunswick stew. In addition to the meat and chicken stock it contains whole stewed tomatoes, whole kernel corn, shoe-peg corn, lima beans (growing up in the South, I call them butter beans), potatoes, and a small amount of mirepoix plus barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, ketchup, coarse ground black pepper, salt, dried red pepper flakes and about a cup of Sriracha sauce. I list all the ingredients because I really need to learn how to put this stuff up. I thought I'd use quart-size Mason jars.

When I was small kid - in the 40s- my dad raised a big garden and when things came in big several neighbor families would get together and can vegetables. I remember corn, okra, tomatoes, green beans, butter beans and squash. The problem is I was too young to pay much attention therefore learned nothing about the process. I do remember they made a big deal of boiling the jars and lids before filling them, but I don't know anything about the process from there. I recall in one of the deep dark recesses of my brain that special care has to taken with anything that has tomatoes in it. I'm not sure why but something about an acidic process creating something bad, comes to mind.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction to learn about canning this stew?

TIA
That's an easy one.  

Put your stew in a pot and get it warm to hot..    Fill your jars to about 1 inch from the top.

Pressure can at 15psi for 90 minutes.   

If you don't have a pressure cooker, I STRONGLY suggest an All American.. Most other pressure cookers are consumer rated low quality units.  If you're making gallons at a time, I'd get something that can hold at least 14 quarts. 

Don't start your 90 minute timer until your unit has purged for at least 15 minutes and steady steam is coming out.

Reactions: ChahtaGirl
I own an electric pressure cooker/canner that I use to make meals in sometimes. Since it is also listed as a "canner" could'nt I use this to safely can anything? I do of course reallize that it would be time consuming being I can only fit in 3 qt sized jars at a go. Plz respond as this would be a cost efficient alternative to the canner until money comes around! Thanks.

Most stuff is canned in pints... If it is listed as a "Pressure Canner".... And can be operated at 11-15#'s pressure, accurately, go for it... Do you have a brand and model #... I'd like to read up on it.. I have 2 All-Americans and a Presto.. and a pressure cooker I do heart and cheeks and gizzards in....

Canning is a lot of work, but very rewarding. We had a good year in the garden and have the basement pantry stocked for the winter. Corn, green beans, tomatoes (puree, sauce, juice, V-8 juice, tomato paste, and salsa), chicken (bought on bulk when on sale), venison, chicken stock (made from bones of meat bought on sale), Pickles, corn relish, sweet relish, butternut squash. peaches and apples, Grape and blackberry jelly. Probably a few items I forgot, but as you can see, the list can be as long as you make it, and you know everything that went into it. like Daveomak says, bigger is better and a lifetime investment. I now have 2 presto canners that each hold 7 qt jars or 9 pints to cut down on canning time. Bought one new about 20 years ago, and the other off craigslist about 10 years ago that is probably older than me but works great. Below is a site that I found with great information for any beginner. Once you go a few batches, the process is very simple just like smoking meat.....time and temperature (with a little pressure).

http://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

Barry.

Last edited:
Most stuff is canned in pints... If it is listed as a "Pressure Canner".... And can be operated at 11-15#'s pressure, accurately, go for it... Do you have a brand and model #... I'd like to read up on it.. I have 2 All-Americans and a Presto.. and a pressure cooker I do heart and cheeks and gizzards in....
Yes it has completely adjustable pressure from 10 up to I believe 20, but I honestly have not used that feature due to everything being automatic (apparently even older ppl are not immune to auto features handling it for them aka me )
I will check the brand but I'm not sure it is on it. I can only try to can something and see what happens. I really WANT to can. I have a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer too but eventually I need an AmeriCANner. They are amazing!
Thank you for replying.

Canning is a lot of work, but very rewarding. We had a good year in the garden and have the basement pantry stocked for the winter. Corn, green beans, tomatoes (puree, sauce, juice, V-8 juice, tomato paste, and salsa), chicken (bought on bulk when on sale), venison, chicken stock (made from bones of meat bought on sale), Pickles, corn relish, sweet relish, butternut squash. peaches and apples, Grape and blackberry jelly. Probably a few items I forgot, but as you can see, the list can be as long as you make it, and you know everything that went into it. like Daveomak says, bigger is better and a lifetime investment. I now have 2 presto canners that each hold 7 qt jars or 9 pints to cut down on canning time. Bought one new about 20 years ago, and the other off craigslist about 10 years ago that is probably older than me but works great. Below is a site that I found with great information for any beginner. Once you go a few batches, the process is very simple just like smoking meat.....time and temperature (with a little pressure).

http://pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm

Barry.
Oh so jealous! I dont have a garden yet but I have wild blackberries I would like to can into seedless preserves next year. I am starting a garden this year as well.. beginning with the 3 sisters of course. (I am Native American.) Thank you for replying. I will check the prices on a presto. I really want an American but if the brand is as good as you say it should suffice. I can "git gud" with the pressure cooker/canner and then buy the real thing and get down to serious business!

Oh so jealous! I dont have a garden yet but I have wild blackberries I would like to can into seedless preserves next year. I am starting a garden this year as well.. beginning with the 3 sisters of course. (I am Native American.) Thank you for replying. I will check the prices on a presto. I really want an American but if the brand is as good as you say it should suffice. I can "git gud" with the pressure cooker/canner and then buy the real thing and get down to serious business!

For jams, jellies, and most fruits, you do not need a pressure canner. They can be done in a water bath rather inexpensively. I'm with you on the blackberries, seedless is the only way to go. No garden you say? local ads, craigslist, farmers markets and local farm stands are a good way to experiment while getting started before committing the actual garden space. Some things just make more sense to buy rather than grow because you can get the crop all at once rather than waiting for the entire crop to ripen and forced to do many small batches.

Barry.

For jams, jellies, and most fruits, you do not need a pressure canner. They can be done in a water bath rather inexpensively. I'm with you on the blackberries, seedless is the only way to go. No garden you say? local ads, craigslist, farmers markets and local farm stands are a good way to experiment while getting started before committing the actual garden space. Some things just make more sense to buy rather than grow because you can get the crop all at once rather than waiting for the entire crop to ripen and forced to do many small batches.

Barry.
I am a traditional Choctaw gardener from a long line and think I can pull off a pretty good rendition of it in my new yard now that I own and dont rent. I am excited to do just a few crops in a small space at first. I have almost an acre. My ancestors said that when the ig dipper turns upside down (like its pouring water) it is time to start the 3 sisters. Consider me ON IT! Lol. I love the site you recommended. I have a glass top stove and my old water bath big boy wont cut it. I do have an alternative for this summers blackberrys though. I have only water bath canned twice.
The first was some tomatoes.
The second was my famous Ginger Apple Jelly and Ginger Applesauce!
Fresh ginger and a bit of lemon zest and it can be your favorite too! Try it. It is fantastic and good for sore throats and colds too.

A really good book for all types of preserving... canning to jams, jellies is....
So easy to preserve .. coop ext. University of Georgia...
setp.uga.edu/
https://estore.uga.edu/C27063_ustores/web/classic/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=4495&SINGLESTORE=true
Saves you money... I bought the book 2 year ago... it's amazing..
Thank you I looked at it and will definately get it. Is it just canning or does it cover dehydrating as well? That would be a plus not a deal breaker if it doesnt.

Also Barry I do take advantage of a full array of aid in my area via a dairy down to road I have purchased from before and they are interested in a food trade group. As well as a goat faem for some goat milk for cheese I want to make again. Yum!
And until I pick a breed for my coop I have a nice variety of colorful farm fresh eggs a quick walk away. All willing to trade with me if my garden works out as well as offering competetive prices.

I want to water bath some pickled OKRA too! Reg and spicy! I will have to buy that at the store since I dont have a garden yet. I will get there.

Thank you I looked at it and will definately get it. Is it just canning or does it cover dehydrating as well? That would be a plus not a deal breaker if it doesnt.

Below is the index.....

Preserves 4.jpg .. Preserves 3.jpg

You can do water bath canning in a pressure canner... (leave the top off)
But you can never do pressure canning in a pot of hot water. ;)

Mom and Dad did it (both pressure & water bath), Grandma's and Grandpa's did it, I've done it (both),
And if we don't try to pass it on, our future generations will be doomed.
Sow, reap, and can.
Smoke, preserve, and save.
Use the tools, and pass the tools on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky