i need help with sausage links please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I should have mentioned I'm using natural hog casings.   I was thinking the same thing about tying with 2 pieces of string and leaving a small gap between each to trim but if I don't have to do that it would be nice.

The link to the YouTube video on page 1 shows how I twist mine unless I'm "chain linking" them.

Practice really makes the difference.

Charlie

I always put the whole natural casing on and keep stuffing. I coil the sausage as I go and use wet hands to keep smoothing out the sausage in the casing. When you start to pinch and twist your links prick any air bubbles with a tooth pick. If you are going to put your sausages in water to poach them, start with warm water and raise the water temp to 160-170 and hold there until your links get to 152-155. Probe thermometers work good but keep the part where the probe and wires meet out of the water.

I generally always tie mine, the twist method is nice quick method old school if you have smaller links that don't weigh a lot. Larger size links are quite heavy when you use a whole casing and can break when you hang them up for drying due to their weight.

I generally always tie mine, the twist method is nice quick method old school if you have smaller links that don't weigh a lot. Larger size links are quite heavy when you use a whole casing and can break when you hang them up for drying due to their weight.

YEP!

Do you cut the casing to length before stuffing and then tie them or stuff the whole casing and then pinch and tie?

Do you cut the casing to length before stuffing and then tie them or stuff the whole casing and then pinch and tie?
I stuff the whole casing then pinch and tie...either way works however. I also maike some kind of mark on my table so that all my links will be about the same size. I like about 1/2-3/4 lb link, just my preference and it also depends on the size casing you prefer to use for stuffing. I keep my casing soaking in hot water when stuffing, ,they go on the horn easier that way. Some like to pre-cut their casings and pre-tie one end leaving it in the hot water till ready, , but i prefer to stuff the whole thing and then make the individual links. Hope this helps.

HT

when I make brats 35-38mm casings approx 6 " gives me approx 4 links per pound . 1/4 pound brats are the perfect size for me ! 
th_anim_burp.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky