I need a new knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I'm really not sure if I should splurge on a new expensive knife for making beautiful slices of meat, or if I just need to buy a regular sharp knife and a good sharpener.

I made a video yesterday of my brother slicing into my brisket. The knife he is using isn't the greatest, and I don't really have anything better than that.

Please excuse the "Home Video" quality of this. LOL, literally had 4 kids running around, he brought his entire crew.

Last edited:
The link isn't working for me.
I have and like this slicing knife.
{creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455202776&psc=1

Reactions: tallbm and DanMcG
An electric knife works great on cutting a brisket and not to costly.

Warren

I've never been a fan of electric knives. I feel like they are mini chain saws, and if you need a chainsaw to slice it, then I don't want to eat it. LOL. know what i mean? (No offence to anyone who uses one.!)

Reactions: forktender
I've never been a fan of electric knives. I feel like they are mini chain saws, and if you need a chainsaw to slice it, then I don't want to eat it. LOL. know what i mean? (No offence to anyone who uses one.!)

So does that mean a meat slicer is like a circular saw:emoji_anguished::emoji_blush:.

Chris

Reactions: NU2SMOKE
So does that mean a meat slicer is like a circular saw:emoji_anguished::emoji_blush:.

Chris

LOL !! Never thought of it that way.

My prejudice come from watching my grandad slice the thanksgiving turkey with an electric knife, because it was so dry and tough and barely edible even when it was drowned in gravy and cranberry sauce. (I shuddered just now typing that! so many bad memories)

I prefer the idea of having a really nice real knife to do the job, just not sure if I can spend $50 for a regular kitchen knife or $250 for a Japanese one.

But it slices the brisket with out tearing and pulling the crust off and pulling the tender meat into pulled beef.

Warren

I can relate to the turkey experience. As for the knife I use an old knife I inherited from my grandmother(circa 1930's to 50's). I only hand wash it and dry it immediately. It still looks brand new. I do have a sharpener(cheaper one) that keeps it sharp. As for newer knives - sorry I haven't bought one in years. The electric knife does come in handy for certain occasions so I keep one on hand.

Chris

I'm really not sure if I should splurge on a new expensive knife for making beautiful slices of meat, or if I just need to buy a regular sharp knife and a good

No real need to splurge old hickory and some others make good knives. Started with the itch of some better cutlery and here is where I wound up.
20190729_185231.jpg
Left to right 10" ole hickory $19 on amazon-large cuts of meat
4" says Wasabi $60 bucks kitchen store veggies only
9" chefs knife came with a set mom bought years ago $? Sure it wasn't expensive. Has enough carbon that it sharpens well.
7" zwillger (spelling) from kitchen store $75- cuts little bit of everything.
Last two are fillet knives from bass pro I use for trimming fat and such. Sharpened with 1200 grit sand paper. As some one else mentioned they never are put in the sink with other dishes. They never touch anything other than food or wood butcher block. Hand washed and put away dry. All these are very sharp and touch up with knife steel and will cut what I ask them to.

Reactions: PoukieBear
If you search this forum for "Victorinox," you'll find that a LOT of people (including me) find this $35 marvel to be absolutely amazing. You can't get a better knife for that price. Here's a link to their chef's knife:

Victorinox Chef's Knife

You could also invest in a Work Sharp knife sharpener, but if you get the recommended Ken Onion edition, it is a significant investment at $127.

Reactions: grubby64 and Hank R
I have some really nice $$$ knives. I have found that many of the budget knives feel just as good in my hand, sharpen easily and hold a good edge, and cut just as well as the expensive ones.

A knife is only as good as it's edge...
All good suggestions above. Myself I have Dexter,Ole Hickory and even some cheap Sam's clubs knifes and a Rapala fillet knife I use quite a bit.

There is a company in Dover Ohio called Warthers that make a great knife. Look them up on their web sight. Not cheap but are a great knife.

Warren

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! There are some great suggestions here.

I live in Canada, so I'll have to look at what my options are for availability up here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky