1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I Need A Good Summer Sausage Recipe

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by lathechips, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lathechips

lathechips Fire Starter

I need a homemade smoked summer sausage recipe. No packaged spice mixes. Thanks to who respond. Beef/deer + pork

2. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

3. Not sure how to post links, but I just finally got around to making J&C SS recipe. Jalapeno cheddar. Turned out very good, no complaints from the experts(family & co-workers). I got the recipe on here a few years ago.

4. "I need a homemade smoked summer sausage recipe. No packaged spice mixes. Thanks to who respond. Beef/deer + pork"

I got this recipe here several weeks ago. Tweaked it a bit and made my first batch, which came out incredibly well. Added the high temp cheese and ECA on my last batch. WOW!! What a difference. This was by far the very best SS I've ever had and every person who has eaten it says the same thing. Can't say enough good about this recipe.

1) 6 lbs coarse ground lean beef
    2) 4 lbs course ground fatty pork butt/shoulder
    3) 3/4 cup + 1 tblsp low fat cultured buttermilk
    4) 2 tblsp non-fat dry milk, for binder 5)
    5) 2 tsp Prague Powder #1
    6) 4 tblsp + 2 tsp kosher salt, can substitute 4 tblsp of pickling salt
    7) 2 tblsp whole mustard seed
    8) 3 tblsp coarse ground black pepper
    9) 4 tsp sugar, for fermenting to get tang.
    10) 1 tblsp garlic powder
    11) 1 tblsp onion powder
    12) 2 tblsp paprika
    13) 1 tsp ground marjoram
    14) 1/4 tsp ground ginger
    15) 1/4 tsp ground coriander
    16) 10 tsp ECA (optional but highly recommended)
    17) 1 lb high temp pepper jack cheese

I've been doing half batches, letting it hang in the fridge for a few days before smoking, use pecan wood to smoke with, cool down in an ice bath, then back in the fridge till the next day before slicing and packaging. It's an involved recipe but well worth the effort.

Robert

5. R Blum

R Blum Fire Starter

Here is one I use and it's very good.

3 ½ lbs Venison
    1 ½ lbs Pork Back fat
    5 Lbs Total weight

1 ½ Tsp—Cure #1
    2 Tbs + 1 ¾ Tsp—Salt
    1 Tbs—Whole Mustard Seed
    1 Tbs—Course ground pepper
    1 Tbs—Dextrose
    2 ¼ Tsp—Garlic
    ¼ Tsp—Marjoram
    ½ Tsp—Red pepper Flakes
    ½ Tsp—Celery Salt
    ½ Cup Water

Cook at 140°F for 1/2 hour with smoke until the surface of the salami casing is dry. Raise the temperature to 170°F and cook for about 3 hours with smoke. Cook until a 155°F internal temperature is reached. Remove salami from the smokehouse and put in cold water for 40 minutes. Then rinse with hot water for 10 to 20 seconds to remove grease. Chill the salami at 28 - 32°F until 40°F internal temperature is obtained. Refrigerate at 38 - 40°F.