I made Eman's Gathering Gumbo - Thank You and Oh So YUMMY!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Weather was forecast today to be low 30's with even lower wind chills, but no SNOW! I decided I'd make some Gumbo and followed Eman's Gathering Gumbo Recipe found here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99402/gathering-gumbo.

I also read through Foamheart's Gumbo Basics found here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145641/gumbo-basics

I must admit I was a bit intimidated to make the roux but I was determined, but I didn't take any pics of the assembly and cooking process.

I had 5 links of Andouille and 4 Chicken Leg Quarters that I smoked with Sassafras and Oak prior to putting them in the gumbo mix.

Got the old cast iron skillet out and followed Foamheart's suggestion of using bacon drippings. It's a lot of stirring and through the entire roux making process, I was sure I'd mess it up, but I didn't!!!

I cooked some white rice in vegetable broth to serve under the Gumbo and also got some File for the finishing touch.

I have to tell you making the roux was not as daunting as I thought it would be - just do like the instructions say - STIR.

Here's the finished pot of Gumbo - perfect for a night of 30° outside with a 19° wind chill!

Thanks for looking!

Have I ever mentioned I love gumbo? Yours looks great.

This time of year, soup is the perfect meal.

Disco

Have I ever mentioned I love gumbo? Yours looks great.

This time of year, soup is the perfect meal.

Disco
Thanks Rick! Guess withh 90's you aren't having much soup! Supposed to be back in the mid 70's next week, but that's October in Colorado!
Looking tasty for a cold night, Were still pushing 90 here!

I don't envy you smoking chicken when it's in the 30's but the gumbo looks Great!!!

I have been fortuntate to have Bob's gumbo and it is delicious..... Yours looks great

Reactions: webowabo
Looks wonderful Alesia! I can eat gumbo all year!

Making red beans and rice today. Supposed to be in the 80's here and rain.

Kat

Great looking gumbo Alesia! We're having soup weather now too. Gardens froze off, thankfully was getting tired if zucchini!!!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Still a little warm for gumbo here.

I will be making a pot for the freezer soon.

We had 2 big freezers out under the carport w/ pad locks on them. Last month someone unknowingly to me tried to pry the doors open.

I found out when stuff started melting and water ran out the doors.

The only thing i saved out of 2 -25 cf freezers was anything cured.

15 lbs of sausage 2 corned beef and some pastrami.

So now it's time to restock one 25 cf freezer (inside the house) .

Gumbo ,Jambalaya , spaghetti sauce , etc etc.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Still a little warm for gumbo here.

I will be making a pot for the freezer soon.

We had 2 big freezers out under the carport w/ pad locks on them. Last month someone unknowingly to me tried to pry the doors open.

I found out when stuff started melting and water ran out the doors.

The only thing i saved out of 2 -25 cf freezers was anything cured.

15 lbs of sausage 2 corned beef and some pastrami.

So now it's time to restock one 25 cf freezer (inside the house) .

Gumbo ,Jambalaya , spaghetti sauce , etc etc.
The only sad part about that is, you would probably have given them the food had they asked. The good news is, look at all the cooking you can do now to refill!!!! Hope you were not overly endowed with seafood. Thats what always makes me cry. My last freezer snafu seems someone knocked the plug out the wall but it was the freezer with about30/40 pounds of 20/25 shrimps.

That brings a smile to my face thinking about all the good cookings you get to do now though.

Weather was forecast today to be low 30's with even lower wind chills, but no SNOW! I decided I'd make some Gumbo and followed Eman's Gathering Gumbo Recipe found here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/99402/gathering-gumbo.

I also read through Foamheart's Gumbo Basics found here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145641/gumbo-basics

I must admit I was a bit intimidated to make the roux but I was determined, but I didn't take any pics of the assembly and cooking process.

I had 5 links of Andouille and 4 Chicken Leg Quarters that I smoked with Sassafras and Oak prior to putting them in the gumbo mix.

Got the old cast iron skillet out and followed Foamheart's suggestion of using bacon drippings. It's a lot of stirring and through the entire roux making process, I was sure I'd mess it up, but I didn't!!!

I cooked some white rice in vegetable broth to serve under the Gumbo and also got some File for the finishing touch.

I have to tell you making the roux was not as daunting as I thought it would be - just do like the instructions say - STIR.

Here's the finished pot of Gumbo - perfect for a night of 30° outside with a 19° wind chill!

Thanks for looking!
Wow sassafrass smoked file gumbo. There is a song there somewhere......... We are rained in for the weekend I am sure. Blizzard food to me is chili, chicken and dumplins, and of course gumbo. But when its snowing I love to smoke, grill, and BBQ. Best ribs I ever cooked were in an ice storm at some AF base south of Chicago.

Ya know, makes folks feel good when they help you to figure out how easy it is to cook something you like. And like smoking, its hard not to like some form of gumbo.

Looks good, and you've got some nice weather for it. Now if ya just had some of these to help ya thru that cold spell, its hard to find a snake to bite ya in that winter storm so you must blame the blizzard!

That gumbo looks fantastic!!!!!!  Love gumbo.  One question though.  "some File for the finishing touch"------just what the heck is File???????????????

Gary
dried and powdered sassafras leaves.

I usually use okra instead of file.

The only sad part about that is, you would probably have given them the food had they asked. The good news is, look at all the cooking you can do now to refill!!!! Hope you were not overly endowed with seafood. Thats what always makes me cry. My last freezer snafu seems someone knocked the plug out the wall but it was the freezer with about30/40 pounds of 20/25 shrimps.

That brings a smile to my face thinking about all the good cookings you get to do now though.
Yes i would have fed them. 10 lbs shrimp but 12 redfish on the half shell and 13 lbs trout filets. lots of beef pork n fowl. Figure 1.5 - k retail.

"Filé powder, also called gumbo filé, is a spicy herb made from the dried and ground leaves of the sassafras tree (Sassafras albidum), native to eastern North America. Choctaw Indians of the American South (Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana) were the first to use dried, ground sassafras leaves as a seasoning, what is now called filé, or gumbo filé, used in Creole cooking. It is used in the making of some types of gumbo,[sup][/sup]a Creole and Cajun soup/stew often served over rice; other versions of gumbo use okra or a roux as a thickener instead. Sprinkled sparingly over gumbo as a seasoning and a thickening agent, it adds a distinctive, earthy flavor and texture. Filé can provide thickening when okra is not in season. Filé translates to "string", suggestive of the powder's thickening ability. "Filé gumbo" is famously mentioned in the classic country song by Hank Williams Sr., Jambalaya (On The Bayou), as it is considered a staple of Cajun cuisine.

Unlike sassafras roots and bark, the tree's leaves, from which filé is produced, do not contain a detectable amount of safrole. This is significant because safrole is regarded by the U.S. government to be a weak carcinogen. The relationship between safrole and sassafras may be the origin of the widely-reported belief that filé powder has a questionable effect on human health." ~Wikipedia

Wheat is not a Louisiana crop, all trade goods come in thru the Port of New Orleans and are dispensed to family groceries thru-out the state thru the rivers and bayous. If the privateers, pirates, or even other waring counties placed a blockade upon New Orleans the cajuns would rely upon what was available. They used okra and file for thickeners, and chickory for coffee. Leaves weeds and tree barks.....LOL Cajuns are a very independently willed people. They mostly all agree as long as its someone they don't know, and they were/are very very head strong towards their convictions. I have often wondered if the Hatfields and McCoys were not transplanted coonasses.

LOL... I tryed spellcheck, but too many files keeps breaking it.... ROFLMAO

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes i would have fed them. 10 lbs shrimp but 12 redfish on the half shell and 13 lbs trout filets. lots of beef pork n fowl. Figure 1.5 - k retail.
You know if you got a police report your homeowners will cover the loss? Course they just announced the rate increase last week, wasn't it? Grrrr......

Last edited:
There are plenty of different gumbos to try...... Creole, file, okra. And of course varing types of seasoning meats, and then you can try the 7 different colors of roux. Gumbo's are like smoking you never clear your bucket list.

Made a Canadian bacon and shrimp gumbo this week. Different, but was just too mild. I thought the smoked mild bacon would work well with the shrimps by not overpowering 'em...... I guess I like mine over powered.

Sorry for de-railing M'Lady.......

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky