I Made a "daveomak" Ham Using a Picnic Shoulder, a Loin, & a Boneless Butt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I use non enhanced picnics... enhanced is OK but I cut the ingredients in half (1/2), to accommodate all the stuff processors add...
Gently heat 10% the weight of the picnic, of Low Salt Vegetable stock, to about 100F.... 9# picnic ~400 grams of stock....
Once warm, ADD IN ORDER and dissolve......
Then cool in the refer prior to injecting...

for a 9# picnic or other hunk of meat add to the stock....
1. phosphates and dissolve... 0.4% STPP.... ~16 grams of STPP...
2. sugars, proteins and dissolve... 1% sugar.... ~41 grams white sugar
3. salt and dissolve.... 1.75% Kosher salt.... ~71 grams kosher salt
4. cure and dissolve.... 0.25% cure#1.... ~10 grams cure#1

You will need to make about 40 injections at ~10CC per injection to get complete coverage inside the meat...
Start injecting around the bone and joints.. Make SURE you thoroughly cover the bone and joints to avoid bone sour...
Then inject the remaining portions of the meat.... inject ALL of the mix....
Put into a 2.5 gallon zip bag..... on a sheet pan..... refer and turn daily...
1603780128918.png

UPDATE: Still jammin' and hammin' with the daveomak daveomak hams. I've lost track how many I've made with this method. This is the small section of a whole loin that I parted into 3 pieces. Smoking time was close to 23 hours (over two days) of cold smoking time. Then on day 3 I used my Big Chief for about 2 hours until the internal came up to 75°, then I let my convection oven bring up the internal temp to 150°. My house smelled wonderful. We had some slices of this one with some mac-n-cheese and a salad, and I mellowed the other two in the fridge for 3 days before vacuum sealing.
gqtv6fn.jpg

UPDATE: Still jammin' and hammin' with the daveomak daveomak hams. I've lost track how many I've made with this method. This is the small section of a whole loin that I parted into 3 pieces. Smoking time was close to 23 hours (over two days) of cold smoking time. Then on day 3 I used my Big Chief for about 2 hours until the internal came up to 75°, then I let my convection oven bring up the internal temp to 150°. My house smelled wonderful. We had some slices of this one with some mac-n-cheese and a salad, and I mellowed the other two in the fridge for 3 days before vacuum sealing.
View attachment 518565
Took me a while to come around to this. Had a couple upsets but now got it figured out. Pop's works great but takes more room. I still eating off that little carver ham. Getting ready to make sammy.

Took me a while to come around to this. Had a couple upsets but now got it figured out. Pop's works great but takes more room. I still eating off that little carver ham. Getting ready to make sammy.
Funny you should mention the Carver hams, I have not seen them in the stores since I bought them to double smoke for Holiday gifts. I'm getting a schedule together next week for smoking 2 or 3 at a time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky