I Just Had To Try It!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, kinda busy day here with a few projects going on! I’m not a good multitasker and apologize about the lack of pics!

That being said… I have enjoyed the South African Biltong for a few years! It is tasty to me, from what I’ve heard friends and fam have enjoyed it too! I also need to give a shout out to the person that introduced me to Biltong…. BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker … Rick, I appreciate your help and friendship… Thank you so much!

So, being a fan of Biltong… I got to thinking… what entrees do the South African folks eat? I like to research other cultures and their food….

So, here is my humble attempt at a South African style meal!

Boerie balls (South African meatballs), Pap (South African Polenta) and Sheba (South African tomato relish).

Sorry again for the lack of pics, but dang… I have to say, the South African folks have some tasty eats!

CDCED01E-2829-4B7A-B642-8620F60B2913.jpeg

CF63D1B1-4306-46B5-A700-485C16B50902.jpeg

3C9EE4F4-8E9C-4076-9A0B-20960AA9D9E3.jpeg

Thanks for lookin all!

Last edited:
Nice! Great creative step outside the box! I love it! I spent some time in West Africa as a military advisor and there was an EOD civilian team contracted by US to help with UXO, one was from Singapore and the other was from S. Africa. The S African guy was a wizard with a cheap grill, he made some amazing stuff. I wish I could remember some of the things he did, that was a few years before I found SMF otherwise I would’ve taken notes! Real awesome research and work Justin! Big points! .

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Looks fantastic! I’ll celebrate that different culture with you. Never done that style of food, but it looks worthy. Nice work.

Thank you! Definitely a tasty meal, I like the simplicity of the SA recipes… but the flavor was spot on! Appreciate the kind words and like!

Nice! Great creative step outside the box! I love it! I spent some time in West Africa as a military advisor and there was an EOD civilian team contracted by US to help with UXO, one was from Singapore and the other was from S. Africa. The S African guy was a wizard with a cheap grill, he made some amazing stuff. I wish I could remember some of the things he did, that was a few years before I found SMF otherwise I would’ve taken notes! Real awesome research and work Justin! Big points! .

Thanks for the kind remarks and like Jed, much appreciated! I have enjoyed looking into their culture and food! One thing that I have been impressed with is the simplicity, yet the flavor is awesome!

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks awesome Justin!
That was one thing that we got when we lived in Ft.Lauderdale. You could get just about any cultures original food. It is different where I live now.
Al

Justin, Nice job on some South African goodies, I too want to try the Boerie meatballs in the near future. I experimented with Boerewors sausage but it was a total flop resulting in 6 pounds of meat being fed to the neighborhood crows .

That looks phenomenal Justin! Not only were you thinking outside the box you left the box factory completely! Great job!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky