I have never seen a smoke ring

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

357mag

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Piedmont Triad of NC
Unfortunately I am color blind and I can't see the pink of a smoke ring. There is no telling what else in life I miss out on because of my darned colorblindness.

You are not missing anything really. The Smoke Ring is a chemical reaction on the surface 1/4" or so that happens with a Wood or Charcoal Fire. It really does not contribute much flavor to the meat overall, unless you shave it off and taste it, it just looks pretty...JJ

I agree with JJ, but you have me thinking now. Whats it like not seeing color.

PC Farmer. colorblind doesn't always mean you CAN'T see all colors. Just that you can't see certain colors when they are near other colors.
I am also color blind, and only ever so often can I not tell the difference in some colors.. Usually corrected by my wife telling me my clothes don't match.. She doesn't believe i'm colorblind, just that I dont know anything about fashion lol

Common colors I can see. I'm blind to Tan, Gray and some shades of Green. I swore, even argued, my Recliner is Dark Gray. Then my Wife showed me the invoice for a Moss Green chair. Ooopps!...JJ

PC Farmer. colorblind doesn't always mean you CAN'T see all colors. Just that you can't see certain colors when they are near other colors.
I am also color blind, and only ever so often can I not tell the difference in some colors.. Usually corrected by my wife telling me my clothes don't match.. She doesn't believe i'm colorblind, just that I dont know anything about fashion lol

I didnt know that. Thanks for explaining.

I'm not color blind, but I do sympathize with you...I am deaf in my right ear from birth. I can't tell the direction of a wild turkey gobble for nothin unless he is just gobblin his fool head off.

I see pix on this forum where people are saying "look at that smoke ring" I look and I don't see anything, it just looks like delicious juicy brisket. Pink is one of the harder colors for me to see. Purple is another. I just bought a shirt because I like the shade of blue it was, my wife informed me that it is purple.

While I'm not colorblind (I know a several people who are) I'm not sure you are missing out on a lot. A smoke ring is not indicative of a good tasting piece of smoked meat.
Common colors I can see. I'm blind to Tan, Gray and some shades of Green. I swore, even argued, my Recliner is Dark Gray. Then my Wife showed me the invoice for a Moss Green chair. Ooopps!...JJ
Maybe it's dark grey moss!!

I’m not color blind and I know I have no fashion, but I would never tell my wife she would take pride in screwing with me on a daily basis.

I just had cataract surgery done about a month ago. They do one eye & then a week later they do the other eye. I was amazed how much brighter the colors of everything were, and you could really notice it with one good eye & one bad one, of course I was also amazed how well I could see without any reading glasses. I got the lenses for distance, but ended up being able to see close up too. The Dr. said I was one of the lucky one's, cause that doesn't happen very often. No more using readers to use the computer. I bought a pair of #100 reading glasses, cause if the print is real tiny, or it's not well lit in the room, then I need the readers. Other than that, he said I'm 20/20 in both eyes!! Very cool!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky