I...have...an...idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

heyer5

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2011
Waukee
Alright, looking for some input on this!

I tried some amazing Evan Williams Cherry Bourbon this weekend and it gave me this crazy idea, not sure if it would work though.  People who have injected into Boston Butts please respond!

Okay, so what if someone were to make up a combination of this Cherry Bourbon, maybe a little apple cider vinegar, and some spicy seasoning, cooked down on the stove, and inject this into a pork butt.  With that, also add my typical rub, maybe with some extra spice to the outside, and smoke with cherry wood (if I can find some)?

That or I thought about doing some ribs with a cooked down portion of this cherry bourbon and some other ingredients, maybe some honey, some japs added in to make it spicy...hmm..

ideas..

popcorn.gif
  I be waiting the results for this!!!

Rich

It won't be any time soon, 2nd week in August at the earliest, that'll give me some time to think on it a bit!

Hello my friend in Smoke, The Cherry Bourbon sounds mighty tasty! I like to layer flavors, for example...A Sweet Injection/Mopping liquid, Bourbon, Brn Sugar and Soy sauce.... Spicy Rub, Cajun Blackening Spices and finish with a.... Tangy BBQ Sauce with more BOURBON simmered in of course!

If you are really into a Vinegar laced Injection...I would suggest RICE VINEGAR...The Asian Aisle in your local Megamart, will have one that will be maked Seasoned Rice Vinegar which contains some Salt and Sugar (used on Sushi). This is pleasantly Tangy but will not BLOW AWAY the the flavor of the Bourbon, like Cider Vinegar...Add some to the above suggested Injection/ Mopping Liquid if you wish.

Good Luck and Please post your success with Qview....JJ

Ahh, great input, I'm loving the ideas!  I feel as if I might be able to pull this one off, again, it will be a few weeks out, but that's just more time to plan!

The bourbon idea sounds great, I inject with hot sauce a lot. I know some hot sauce contains vinegar and try to stay from those that do or use my home made devil sauce, but I've read vinegar will make your meat mushy so I'd try to stay away from vinegar for an injection. Just my two coppers for what it's worth. I do want to see the results. 
icon14.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky