I have a white fuzzy mold and I don't know what it is, help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

You Enjoy Life

Original poster
Dec 2, 2022
I've been curing some soppressata and started to notice this white fuzzy, if not hairy, mold, picture included. No other forums mentioned this mold, I can't tell if its part of the safe white mold forming below or something different. I've been wiping it off to be safe, but want to make sure I should keep wiping it off. Thank you

Attachments

• cured mold2.jpeg
    cured mold2.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 44
  • curedmold.jpeg
    curedmold.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
Need more information...
What are the temperature and humidity in the area you are drying. Are you using a drying chamber or a cellar?
What style of salami are you making?
Did you inoculate the salami with a beneficial old culture?
How long has the mold growth been there or how long have you been druing the salami?

Reactions: JC in GB
I just zoomed in on the picture. Did not see the fuzzy mold at first. That fuzzy mold on the bottom end needs to be wiped off with vinegar. You can apply potassium sorbate to stop any more mold growth. Also, lower the humidty and/or increase airflow (as long as there is no case hardening). Can also lower the temperature 5*F or so for a week....

I just zoomed in on the picture. Did not see the fuzzy mold at first. That fuzzy mold on the bottom end needs to be wiped off with vinegar. You can apply potassium sorbate to stop any more mold growth. Also, lower the humidty and/or increase airflow (as long as there is no case hardening). Can also lower the temperature 5*F or so for a week....
thank you, I am curing at 55ºF, humidity is around 90% because of one big piece of meat that is freshly being cured, it's in a wine fridge. I didn't add any culture, it is soppressatta

I use Mold 600 on pretty much everything (that's not being smoked) as a security blanket.

Reactions: indaswamp
I am curing at 55ºF, humidity is around 90% because of one big piece of meat that is freshly being cured, it's in a wine fridge. I didn't add any culture, it is soppressatta
Ah, I see your problem... 90% humidity. New pieces will cause a spike in humidity and that can be problematic for stuff that is further along drying in your chamber. With a wine fridge, try not to over load it with product. Do you have an evi-dry dehumidifier in your chamber with a controller? If not, I highly recommend doing this.

Bad molds really start growing rapidly when humidity rises above 85%. I recommend to try and never let the humidity rise above about 83% to prevent this problem. If you are not going to use a surface mold culture, then it is best to dry the salami at a lower temp. and a lower humidity. Below 50*F being optimum, and 70-75% humidity. IF you go down to 40-45*F, then lower the humidity to 68-72%RH.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky