I got the dreaded Tar thing going on.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

arcticcanoe

Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton Alberta
Hey Gang.
I'm starting a fridge/freezer build. What I got myself into is a nice 1950's upright freezer, I gutted and dismantled the beast. The liner is clean,the fiberglass has been junked.
The outer cabinet has some tar in the corners and the walls, bottom and top. there will be 2 inches of rock wool separating the liner from the tar on the outside cabinet how
necessary is it to remove all the tar seeing as it should never feel any real heat. With my UDS'S I try to stay around 225 and never over 300 degrees, so this is my comfort zone.
This fridge will probably get use for mostly cold smoking sausage and maybe the odd full on smoke just to play.
Also can anybody confirm how hot their shell gets with 2 inches of Rock Wool separation.

Thanks for any insight I can get.
MIke

Reactions: JLeonard
Try melting the tar with a heat gun and scrape it out when soft...
Yes of course, but my question was more along the lines of with 2 inches of Rock Wool separating the heat source and the tar is it worth all the effort to remove it all. I can't see any heat reaching the tar? The range in a house has less insolation and usually is almost kissing the side of the kitchen cabinets.

My response is what I would do... No point in having tar in your smokehouse.... It could cause problems later..... If you want to leave it there ????

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky