I got one hell of a shock today. In a very nice way.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
I stopped by my fathers place this morning to drop off some pictures for his service Sunday. And while I was there. Wendy gave me some of his belongings. And while doing so. She pulled out a Stevens Model 87C 22 rifle. This was the rifle my father and I plinked with when I was a kid. I thought he got rid of that years and years ago. It needs a good cleaning. But it excepts and rejects rounds fine. I did not fire it. It will need a good inspection and cleaning first. Either way. It is going on the wall. I ended up crying my eyes out.

22.JPG

I stopped by my fathers place this morning to drop off some pictures for his service Sunday. And while I was there. Wendy gave me some of his belongings. And while doing so. She pulled out a Stevens Model 87C 22 rifle. This was the rifle my father and I plinked with when I was a kid. I thought he got rid of that years and years ago. It needs a good cleaning. But it excepts and rejects rounds fine. I did not fire it. It will need a good inspection and cleaning first. Either way. It is going on the wall. I ended up crying my eyes out.

View attachment 418672
Very cool to get something that has great memories!

Reactions: Steve H
I am sorry to hear about your loss! But you have something great to remember him by. I know that when i hunt with and shoot my grandfather's rifles that have been passed down it evokes a lot of emotion and memories. I hope you enjoy the wall hanger, but dont be afraid to shoot it once and a while after making sure there is no bore obstructions, or other issues that may cause damage to you or the gun.

That is great. I am sure it is just fine but I would take it to a qualified gunsmith and have him go through it and professionally clean it. I also buy, sell and collect rifles and pistols and have for years. Just my advice and it won't cost much either.

That is great. I am sure it is just fine but I would take it to a qualified gunsmith and have him go through it and professionally clean it. I also buy, sell and collect rifles and pistols and have for years. Just my advice and it won't cost much either.

Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty handy with rifles. But with this I'm taking the safe route and doing just that. I'm going to break it down. And clean it to look for anything obvious that would make the trip not worth it. But a quick look down the barrel looking at the boring, things look promising.

Reactions: Hawging It
That's an awesome surprise for you...you will have those memories for the rest of your life

Ryan

Congrats to you my friend!! I have a Belgian made gas operated Browning 12 ga shotgun that was my dad's when I was 3 years old. Started shooting skeet and trap with it when I was 5, and did all of the reloading of the shells. Dad passed away in '94 at the age of 55. My brother wanted the shotgun but it was worth a fortune and he would have would up pawning it and never getting it back. I told him "no way in Hell are you getting that shotgun". I still get a tear in my eye when I pull that thing out of the case, and got a tear in my eye reading your post.Amazing stuff Steve!!

Sniffle....for real,
Robert

What a great treasure for memories, Steve. And I can relate to crying your eyes dry. This morning, at my writing club, I was reading from a Memorial Day story I wrote after my father passed last year. Almost couldn't finish with thirty people listening.

I'll be thinking of you and your family this Sunday. Peace be with you.

good stuff steve!............i just now saw you and the wife were in lake george a few weeks ago, literally 10 or 15 minutes from me. Would have loved to drop you two off a bottle of champagne for your get away.........but again, that rifle is priceless

Thanks! That was a great get away. Love that area.

Nice gun Steve! Every gun I own has a story behind it. Having one handed down from fathers and grandfathers is priceless.

Happy you got that . I love J Stevens arms stuff . I have a single 12 from 1920 . Came from my Dad's side .
That rifle you have should be a " 3 in 1 " Semi auto , bolt or single shot .
Very nice keep sake . Could be some ones telling you all is ok ,,,

Sorry for your loss Steve. Very glad you were able to get the gun and recapture that link to him and your childhood. Sometimes tears are good and heal.

Thanks all. I believe in my heart that he is happier now. And I'll treasure our times together.

Steve I'm sorry for your loss and that rifle is a great surprise for you I'm sure. Here's a thought instead of just being a wall hanger get it checked out to make sure it still functions good which I'd bet being an old Stevens it will then use it plink with the grandkids that should make even more memories for both you and them when one of them ends up with that gun

Steve again my prayers for your father. Stay strong and always remember the good ole times.
Richie

Steve I'm sorry for your loss and that rifle is a great surprise for you I'm sure. Here's a thought instead of just being a wall hanger get it checked out to make sure it still functions good which I'd bet being an old Stevens it will then use it plink with the grandkids that should make even more memories for both you and them when one of them ends up with that gun

I've been thinking about that. And that is what I'm going to do. I am taking it to a gun shop Monday. After I explained to them about the rifle, they offered to have the barrel checked for no charge. I am going to clean it this weekend. Though it is in pretty good shape for sitting in a closet for that long. It will be fun to take it to range. And take a few shots with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky