I got a new smoker! Breaking it in with a pork butt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
This winter has been so loooong, so cold, so dark, and way too snowy! My WSM’s have been in hibernation, and my husband has been feeling the withdrawal of my weekend smoke outs.

we had agreed on buying a pellet smoker in the springtime, but apparently he just couldn’t hold out any longer. He’s been checking kijiji for pellet smokers, and came across a Green Mountain Grill for a really good price. We picked it up yesterday. It’s practically brand new!!! The guy who had it works really long hours and has no time to smoke on it. He had no idea it would take 12 hours to cook something on it.

Everything in it was spotless, and I only had to vacuum out a little bit of ash. It’s been working really hard all night, since it’s still -16c here.

here she is so far! She should be ready this afternoon.

6A8F4E5B-58BF-4892-B5D9-F4533048965D.jpeg
189B405D-1C4F-490B-A23F-E99CB0DB6841.jpeg
85F5F2AD-61D1-4783-8032-FE728CEC85AD.jpeg

And !!!! I got some bonus cast iron pans too! Three of them were stored inside the grill, and he had used them once, then decided they were also too much work to maintain. I gave them a quick scrub and a seasoning and they are as good as new! Even though I really don’t need more than 15 CI pans.... lol

87491B89-0E90-4663-967B-07CFF2586D9D.jpeg
052ABA98-D61F-4DA5-AEFC-37017F3D5B55.jpeg

Looking good Michelle!! Love the grill but have to respectfully disagree about the CI skillets. One can never have too many :emoji_laughing: Please keep us posted on the cook and show us lots more pics.

Robert

So glad to hear you are now smokin up there while still in the cold, Michelle! A lot better than the abstiance you previously were enduring. Pack in a large supply of pellets and ENJOY!

Matt

Thanks guys!! I’m really looking forward to this tasty treat.

I’m at the stall right now, and I’m not going to wrap it. So far it doesn’t have the same amount of bark as my charcoal grills, so I’ll leave it and see how it turns out with no wrap.

Robert, I told my husband he needs to build me a really nice display wall for all my CI pans. Lol, he may or may not have rolled his eyes at me.

• Haha
Reactions: martin1950
Looks grate now get your tag line updated lol, you must've got our snow, a couple of dustings here lol

Question time!

I’ve refilled the hopper three times already, and have just opened a second bag of pellets. Is this a normal amount of pellets, or is it becausethe smoker is working really hard to keep temps at 250 when it’s so cold outside? (I don’t have a thermal blanket, yet)

I’ve refilled the hopper three times already, and have just opened a second bag of pellets. Is this a normal amount of pellets, or is it becausethe smoker is working really hard to keep temps at 250 when it’s so cold outside? (I don’t have a thermal blanket, yet)

Even though I personally don't own a pellet smoker its a safe assumption.Almost all smokers will struggle to some degree in the really cold.

Reactions: PoukieBear
My welding blanket I use for work isn’t very thick or pliable thats why I use a moving blanket, not the first speck of a spark on it, smoke in a few spots but nothing else. Been so warm this winter I haven’t needed it much

Congrats on the great score, with CI pans included! Much warmer climate here (low 50's is getting cold for us). But I would guess that the colld is causing the high greater consummation. As mentioned get a blanket.
Enjoy the butt!

This winter has been so loooong, so cold, so dark, and way too snowy! My WSM’s have been in hibernation, and my husband has been feeling the withdrawal of my weekend smoke outs.

we had agreed on buying a pellet smoker in the springtime, but apparently he just couldn’t hold out any longer. He’s been checking kijiji for pellet smokers, and came across a Green Mountain Grill for a really good price. We picked it up yesterday. It’s practically brand new!!! The guy who had it works really long hours and has no time to smoke on it. He had no idea it would take 12 hours to cook something on it.

Everything in it was spotless, and I only had to vacuum out a little bit of ash. It’s been working really hard all night, since it’s still -16c here.

here she is so far! She should be ready this afternoon.

View attachment 435980View attachment 435981View attachment 435982

And !!!! I got some bonus cast iron pans too! Three of them were stored inside the grill, and he had used them once, then decided they were also too much work to maintain. I gave them a quick scrub and a seasoning and they are as good as new! Even though I really don’t need more than 15 CI pans.... lol

View attachment 435983View attachment 435984
Love the new pellet smoker, you just can't beat a cast iron bonus. Your pork is coming along nicely, I'm sure you will have a delicious meal.

Question time!

That's probably it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky